Converting an older security system from vhs to computer based

I have an old camera system currently with 4 cameras displaying on a monitor that switches the camera displayed about every 2 secs. the system is backed up on an old vhs recorder, i would like to get rid of the vhs and hook it up to a computer through i assume a capturing card. The monitor is hooked up to the vhs recorder using standard audio/video auxillary cables. does anyone have a suggestion to what i would need?

From what I have collected on from some intense searching a decent

capturing card seems to be the solution.

Can anyone suggest some websites that may help in my request?

Reply to
seelet
Loading thread data ...

There are several ways to go your existing cameras can be attached to a video capture card on a computer and you use you computer monitor to view the cameras play back etc or you could by a stand alone DVR digital video recorder to replace the VCR or you can buy a DVR multiplexer all in one piece and run your cameras to them. the cameras have to be the type which use BNC type twist onconnectors if your cameras hook up with what look like RJ 11 telephone type connector you are out of luck.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Or mini din connectors or din connectors... Actually some MFGs can be broken out and used with an adaptor, and some can not.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Check out CCTV Forum. They talk about this stuff all the time.

If you decide to use a PC and video capture card (versus a dedicated DVR) , beware of the stuff you find on E-bay....lots of fake knock-offs. Go with something reputable (yes it will cost more, but it will be worth it). GEOVISION is a poular brand (I am very happy with mine).

Reply to
gymfolks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.