Avermedia EB3004MD + 1/3 Sony CCD cameras .... very poor recorded pictures, certainly no good for ID!

Hello,

Just purchased a 4 camera kit with 250gb HD. The picture is fine on screen, certainly compared to B&W CMOS before. However the recorded image is very poor, like CMOS quality and next to useless for identification at anything above about 10ft.... might be able to identify make of vehicle, but certainly not number plate or faces. Big disappointment as I was assured by RFCONCEPTS.co.uk that this would be perfect for what I wanted.

The camera is a1/3 Sony CCD 4mm lens and max of 420 lines...snapshot taken in good bright daylight.... the result looks like an old 0.2mb photo taken from a really old camera!

It doesn't seem to matter if I record at CIF 25fps each or D1 enhance

6fps....looks the same, rubbish

AM I missing something or are they really this poor?

Thanks

Reply to
Lloyd
Loading thread data ...

I don't know this particular recorder but I would guess it to be H264. I have previously found the budget recorders in this format to be pants.

420TVL is a budget / entry level resolution. because of this with a wide angle 4mm lens you will only get a overview of what is happening as you have described.

Due to the low resolution of the camera, the recording quality will not make any significant difference.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

I gathered as much now, in doing further research. Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm just going to run some tests using a JVC digital video camera, which is a known good tool, to see just how far out the system I have is

What camera would you suggest would read a van signwriting at 40ft and say a number plate at 30ft... I don;t mean on screen, but after the image had been saved, and then zoomed in on? The picture I'm getting presently is useless at that range, and just gets worse as you zoom in. A complete waste of time and money (£500+) compared to the £100 cmos system I was thinking of getting and used in the past..... I told RFCONCEPTS.co.uk I wanted a system that could be used for evidence, but this system seems useless any more than a few feet from the lens!

Reply to
Lloyd

I would recommend you use a name such as Panasonic, JVC, Samsung, etc, and look to improve the resolution of the cameras to 550 - 600 TVL. I will warn you though, you get what you pay for and there is no chance of getting a good quality system with 4 camera's for anywhere near £500. In some instances you could pay up to that much per camera.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.