switch to switch link

I got a 4506 with a supervisor II+module with to GBIC ports. one GBIC port goes to a core type switch which is currently enabled with the cisco-switch macro

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunk switchport nonegotiate udld port aggressive auto qos voip trust macro description cisco-switch spanning-tree bpduguard disable spanning-tree link-type point-to-point

Both ends are set to trunk mode.

On the same 4506, the second gbic port goes to another 4506. Since this other 4506 does not connect directly to the core switch, what mode should i be setting this port with? Should it be an access port?

Reply to
tony
Loading thread data ...

Best practice ... no, it shouldn't be configured as an access port but it depends on what you need the link to do for you. Are there vlans on the core switch or the 4506 you need trunked to the other switch? Maybe not right now but later?

Access ports typically have portfast enables because single hosts are normally attached. Attach another switch to an access port and you start moving away from a consistent state.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Currently core switch has only 1 vlan. The default vlan1. I am setting up uplinks as trunks so I can setup vlans later. But like I said, this particular 4506 does not go directly into the core switch. It kinda chains up with another 4506 through one gbic port on the distribution 4506. Then on the second gbic port of the 4506, it goes to the core.

Reply to
tony

I'd be setting it up as a trunk so if you do add vlans later you can change the "switchport trunk allowed vlan" config without causing any connectivity loss.

Reply to
BernieM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.