Query about H.264 DVR Cards

Hi,

I am developing a CCTV surveillance application. I am looking to buy a DVR card which supports H.264 video format. I would like to know if all DVR cards are hardware compression cards? What is the difference between hardware and software compression? Also which compression(hardware or software) would be better.

Thanks bharath

Reply to
bharath
Loading thread data ...

Any DVR using a capture card like Bosch DiBos, American Dynamics Intellex, Integral Technologies DVX series has some compression on the grabber card. Some rely more on the CPU's power rather than the grabber card's power. All this seems to be going away in favor of IP edge encoding. On the IP (Network Video Recorders) side NONE of the following: ACTi, Bosch, Intellinet, Panasonic, Toshiba, Advantech, Canon, Ipix Corporation, Pelco, VCS, AgileMesh, Convision, IQInvision, Pixord, Veo, Appro, D-Link, JVC, Polar Industries, Verint, Arecont Vision, Flir Systems, Linudix, Samsung, Videolarm, Axis, GE, Lumenera, Sanyo, Vivotek, Baxall, Infinova, Mobotix, Sony, Web Gate Inc.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.