Setting up a Alarm Security Business

I'm looking to start my own alarm install business and was hoping to find out some info on bare bones essentials(licensing) to operate an alarm biz in the state of new york. I really dont want to join associations unless mandated by the state government also I was going to set up the company as a Limited Liability any thoughts on this? thanks any help is much appreciated. btw. Im looking to protect myself

Reply to
atomb
Loading thread data ...

First, in my opinion, If you're starting out with a meager budget and you don't have 5 years or more experience in the technical end of the business and have never had and experience in running a business, get educated first. Failure rate is high. Being in the alarm business isn't all technical and installation work. You should know how to keep basic accounting books, set up budgeting. Know a little bit about financing and doing administrative functions like purchasing, writing proposals and know a little bit about sales and marketing and clerical functions, involved in runing a business.

NY State requires that you have 60 hours of training in order to qualify to apply for a test to obtain a State License. Contact the Department of State, Albany NY. If you are an association member, you can usually get the courses at a lower price. The courses are given 3 or 4 times a year and usually sponsored by a local alarm association.

If you don't want to join any associations that means that you aren't interested in the trade that you are going to make a living at. If you don't participate in associations you'll probably wind up being one of those people who complains about all the rules and regulations and the poor products, but aren't willing to put time into correcting those problems through your association. But .... you probably shouldn't worry about that too much. You'll simply be among the majority of alarm companies who don't participate ..... but complain. Some good things you can get from joining associations is information that may be essential for you to know, about changes in the laws that affect you and your business and the ability to obtain new product information. And it's useful to network with other people in the business who know more than you do and many are willing to offer you advice and help in making your business successful.

Check with an attorney but I think you'll probably be better off for tax purposes if you incorporate as an "S" corporation. Get yourself a good set of contracts. They can save your ass if something goes wrong. See if you can locate Ken Kershenbaums website, (I've forgotten what it is) He's located in NY and one of the most well rounded Alarm knowledgable attorneys in the industry. Probably has the best contracts (not cheap, but iron clad) and they've designed around NY state alarm laws. Also get some good liability insurance and O & E ( errors and omissions) insurance. You can usually get discounts on much of the above if you are a member on and association. Unfortunately, it's probably gonna cost you about $500.00 a year to join. However, if you take advantage of all the discounts, you'll probably get it all back in a years time.

Good Luck

Reply to
Jim

LLC and taxed as an S-corp, much easier than being a corp and having to file crap paperwork every year...LLC's don't have to do that stuff. Ive been a Sole Prop., S-Corp, C-Corp and now LLC taxed as S-corp.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'm a NYS Instructor currently running the class right now in Lindenhurst for licensing, as Jim has stated. If you'd like further information on NY State licensing and requirements visit:

formatting link
call and ask the Secretary, Kim, for Mike S.

Crash Gord> LLC and taxed as an S-corp, much easier than being a corp and having to file

Reply to
secure15

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.