Richter or Merkel ?

In the film San Andreas, do we use the Richter scale or the Merkel scale to measure earthquakes?

We should remember this information, after all, Americans don't make films for nothing, films are also an education.

Reply to
Steve Brown
Loading thread data ...

Why - - - - - I am shook by that comment.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Sorry, that's my mistake. The name is Mercalli and not Merkel.

Reply to
Steve Brown

Films are often a bit more than an education. They are sometimes an indoctrination or even a misinformation piece.

I don't even recall the film anymore, but it was one a large group of the family went to see together. My wife and kids, and parents. Maybe a couple others. I commented as we were leaving that ultimately the point of the whole movie was just that the ends justify the means. That's not all that surprising, but my mom was surprised by my summation even though I thought it was painfully obvious.

Here is a better one. The movie CARs. Its a fun animated movie with anthropomorphized vehicles playing mostly American stereotypes or Americanized stereotypes of other nationalities. The message I got from it was a little more subtle. "Sure gasahol is bad but somehow its big oil's fault." You have to extrapolate a bit, and I admit you could draw a couple different, but very similar messages. In any case the movie is fun for most ages, but is clearly aimed at children. It is indoctrination and misinformation in my opinion.

Aren't stereotypes supposed to be bad? I guess its okay if we substitute cars. LOL.

So anybody solve any security problems lately? I'm looking for new DVRs myself. The two in my shop are still working, but they are old. One keeps rebuilding its database, but seems to still be recording every time I check. It needs to go. The other has to reboot two or three times when I reboot it, but then it seems to work perfectly. I just want something new and wonderful. #2 channel would be okay, but I like having dual 16 channel as it allows for some redundancy in key traffic areas.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi Bob,

I am presently using InVid camera equipment. With today's COAX camera abilities to provide 5-8 Mega Pixels and the ability to reduce the camera output to potentially match the recorder DVR input gives a lot of flexibility. So I am assuming that your current DVR recorders are "old" CBVS or 720p.

The one that I am presently installing has a variety of settings for video outputs. Such as:

TVI:5MP/4MP/2MP AHD:5MP/4MP/2MP CVI:4MP/2MP CVBS

It is a matter of having the means of programing the different outputs. I am not that proficient at doing the needed changes but, I am learning!

As for one DVR, this one has a lot of stuff built in.

formatting link
As for Cameras this one is what I was referring to.
formatting link
There are a lot of other possibilities. I am NOT is a SALES MODE here!! Just providing information.

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I don't mind beer can cameras inside the shop, but outside I really prefer heavy duty ball cameras. They are hard to move, and hard to cover. That being said I have a hodge podge of stuff mounted to the shop.

One is a rebuilt DM, but with a rebuild costing more than a new brand with better specs, the rebuilder not always returning stuff after you pay for it until you prove you paid it with the cancelled check, and the owner of the west coast rebuilder reaming you out instead of apologizing afterwards I will never have another DM rebuilt. The other is a Digital Watchdog with HD over coax capability, but both cameras in a pair have to have the same res or it defaults to the lower resolution. 1/2 3/4

5/6 ... Its fine if you just buy a bunch of cameras for the job, but not so much if you are using all the left over cameras from all the jobs you ever did that outlasted their replacement life. LOL.

I like what you are saying about the DVR though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Interesting. Zoro (Grainger) sells them retail.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi Bob,

Once you find the right DVR you can use your existing cameras as they are. Then if you want to upgrade a camera or two or three you can do that.

But, I guess you knew that??

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Been using InVid for about 5/6 years now. Pretty happy so far. A couple of returns but nothing serious. I deal with a local supplier but they have a website. Canal Alarm. Check the prices. Grainger is usually higher.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.