Request for articles or documentation- Issues with Panic Buttons in workplace settings

I am doing research on the problems that organziations encounter with the use of panic buttons (malfunctioning, not used, hitting it accidently) and the barriers to installing them (cost, installation issues). If anyone is aware of any such articles or documentation that I can review and cite, I would very much apprecitate it. You reply here or to me directly at snipped-for-privacy@peaceatwork.org. Thank you very much, Johnny Lee

Reply to
Johnny Lee
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Roland

I used to install the kind that latched. That way, the dumbass that pressed it to see what happened couldn't deny it and blame the false alarm on a system malfunction. Manager has the reset key.

Trouble is, when the key is needed, they can't find it. "What's it look like?" or, "You never gave us one" and " Can you come and reset it for us? What do you mean, service charge"

js

Reply to
alarman

In (Many) years past, hold up buttons used to be useful ( I should say not troublesome) People knew what they were for. There was a popular device called a "foot rail" in an 18" housing mounted on the floor, that could be activated with the toe of your shoe, by pushing up a "rail". I don't see them around any more. This was an Ademco item and they also had a undercounter holdup button with a key lock reset. There was also a "money clip" for cash drawers. Nowdays, they just seem to be installed to cause false alarms .... for all the reasons and more, that you've given. Could have something to do with there being more family owned businesses back then.

I had a hold up system and CCTV set up in a gas station/convenience store, lots of years ago. The video tape showed 3 big brothers coming in at 3 in the morning with trench coats on. The first one pulls a shotgun from under his coat and wants the guy to open the register. The counter man is so scared that he can't get the register open. The dude with the shot gun comes around the counter and trys to encourage the counter man with some shouting and threats with the weapon. The counterman reaches for the hold up button but before he can get to it the guy wacks him a few times in the head with the shotgun barrel and then points it at him as if to shoot him. He didn't, and finally got him to open the register. They never even looked at or seemed to care that the cameras were on them. When it was all over, he called 911 anyway, instead of using the HU button.

from installing them. Some employee, or anyone in a panic situation like that and not in his right mind just may make the move that could kill him. Let them take whatever they want and leave. They can call

911 after they leave.
Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.