Standalone remote monitoring devices

I'm looking for the best options for monitoring/controlling my home while I'm out of state for the year. There is power in the house and I'm now getting an internet connection installed again. I ordered the Trendway IP camera that has it's own webserver built in. Anyone know of any other web based devices that may help me? I'd like to be able to control appliances/lights in the house but I don't want to run a computer there. I could put a router in and attach several devices. Any other devices out there that have their own web interface not requiring a computer?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Reply to
tcmontanye
Loading thread data ...

A lot depends on what you plan to spend and how much control you want. HA systems like the ELK M1G and Omni series controllers can run most everything in the home, including HVAC, lights, security, irrigation, whatever.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

On 13 Apr 2006 05:17:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote (with possible editing):

Perhaps one of the most critical criteria you haven't mentioned: In what state does a device come up which has lost power? Do you have anyone nearby who will be willing to reset devices once the power goes off?

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

For short power failures, he can always use a stand-alone UPS. If he maintains connectivity through the modem (either DSL or cable) he shouldn't have a problem. Local outages happen though. I'm wondering what he's going to do if the cable or DSL signal is interrupted. I use a router for both the home and office internet connections. About twice a year I have to alter the DNS numbers to maintain connectivity and Shaw (my provider) is frequently working on the lines in the "wee hours" of the morning.

You should also check your insurance policy for an "abandonment clause". In some areas (like Edmonton, Alberta for instance), if you leave your house unoccupied for more than 72 hours, the insurance coverage lapses. To prevent this from happening, someone you trust has to go through the home and check everything every three days. Make sure they fill out a log book noting the date and time of their visit.

I would definitely consider installing a monitored alarm system if you're going to leave your home for that period of time.

My "two cents".

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

I have plenty of people that can run by and reset the devices for me but I'm trying to make it as uncomplicated as possible to cut down on problems. I guess I'm looking for some type of IP interface that acts as a switch. The camera is a good start but I'd like to control some lights and maybe something that would make some noise. I'll be able to call someone in the area if I see something going on but in the meantime it would be nice to be able to scare people off too.

Reply to
tcmontanye

It appears you are looking for an off-the-shelf solution. If you're able/willing to get your hands dirty, SitePlayer is an inexpensive 10BaseT interface that has some native capabilities you could use to monitor/control a few devices.

formatting link
Take a look at the SitePlayer forum for "how to". It's possible to have it send email, etc.

More off-the-shelf and more costly...

formatting link
formatting link
scroll down to "IP Commander"

although I haven't heard much about either lately.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>I'm looking for the best options for monitoring/controlling my home

Reply to
Dave Houston

X10 makes a cheap telephone based X10 gizmo controller. In the geek world, it is also used to reboot remote servers that get hung up and such.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Also...

There are computers and there are computers. Have you c>I'm looking for the best options for monitoring/controlling my home

Reply to
Dave Houston

I use a "Sling Media Box" for this application. I can view my home video cameras from any internet computer in the world in real time 10-20 fps ( okay there is a 5 second time la g ) The sling box also alows remote control of a local IR device inyour howse. This could be brideged with a transmogrifier to run x-10 devices.

If the power fails the device reboots itself reliably when the power returns. And I can view it on my cell phone

cost about $200 on ebay

Reply to
svorres

I know of a (very) remote two-way radio site in Oregon which occasionally has vandalism problems. They installed an intercom system so that if the alarm trips the local police dispatcher can have a conversation with the intruders. You might consider some VoIP system along with the video monitoring.

-- Chuck

Reply to
Charles

Wow, these are some great suggestions. Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to go with the X10 telephone responder. I'll put some motion detectors with strobe lights and sirens inside the house as well. I see some great X10 packages on Ebay. I'm replacing all the outdoor lights with motion activated lights. I'm hoping I can start renting the place out in a few months and I won't have to worry about it as much. I'm actually out of state right now and I received some disturbing news last night, it seems that someone already attempted a break-in. It's disgusting to think you can't leave your home without having someone try to steal your belongings. Luckily, I have plenty of friends/family in the area and they have been stopping in every day.

Thanks again for your responses

Reply to
tcmontanye

Why not install a simple alarm at the same time. Since you're away much of the time, you could just install sensors on the doors and a couple of motion detectors. A basic system with a loud siren may be enough to scare off a thief. If you were planning to stay there for a long time you'd probably want more protection. There are several decent installing dealers in every metro area. OTOH, if you're handy with tools you can install it yourself for significantly less cost. Depending on the neighborhood, you may even get your cost back when you sell ("depending" can be a big word, of course:))

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It's better to notify your local police department and ask for what they call "extra patrols." Most are happy to notify officers which cruise your neighborhood that they should drive by your house whenever possible. They would rather scare off a potential thief that way than fill out all the paperwork after a break-in.

If you do install an alarm system, take special care that there are no false alarms. Nothing slows down the response of a police officer more than a string of false alarms. "Oh, that guy's alarm again? I'll get to him AFTER I finish my coffee."

-- Chuck

Reply to
Charles

True indeed. The best way to reduce false alarms, assuming the hardware is decent quality and the installation was done correctly, is to make sure that everyone who uses the alarm system understands it. A little time spend educating the family about closing and locking doors and windows, not leaving Fido running loose with motion detectors armed, etc., will go a long way.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.