Recomendations for house alarm system

I need to install a burglar alarm in my house! Wouldn't like to spend more than =A3500. I've seen the alarms in Homebase over the weekend inc one that emails you and allows you to reset online - sounds good but is it?

I have a dog that has the run of the lower 2 floors (& might set an alarm off). At night the dog is restricted to one room and I need the added securiity whilst my family are asleep as well as during the day whilst we're out.

Can anyone recomend a good system to suit?

Any help much appretiated. thanks D

Reply to
StudioUK
Loading thread data ...

$500.00 won't even roll one of my vans. And an email will come in really handy when your house is on fire. Does it automatically send it with one of those "high importance" markers?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Burglar Alarms not Fire Alarms Frank. Re rolling your vans, well erm... ok...? Keep up the humour though Frank, you're a funny man, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Anyone in this group with UK feedback?

Reply to
StudioUK

Hi D

Although the UK DIY systems do serve a purpose, they cannot compare to a professionally installed system. You may like to try getting a few quotes on a full installation incorporating pet immune sensors if the dog isn't too big. You may be surprised at the total cost.

Good luck

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Paul Ekins

Linc Secure Ph: 0845 123 2599 snipped-for-privacy@lincsecure.co.uk

formatting link

I have a dog that has the run of the lower 2 floors (& might set an alarm off). At night the dog is restricted to one room and I need the added securiity whilst my family are asleep as well as during the day whilst we're out.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Sonitrol

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Get more dogs......... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Now that's just mean.

Reply to
Tommy

more dogs means more xxxx to clean up, more dog hair, more slobber and more burst footballs! I like dogs and kids but I have enough of both, it's time I treated myself to another man gadget that bleeps!

thanks for advice though ;^)

Reply to
StudioUK

I'm with you man...tired of pickup up dog poo, and unclogging the central vac at least once a month...we've all given up on wearing any kind of dark clothing too.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Speaking of dogs, I have builder who is building himself a new home. Here in the NE, when you live near the water, the requirements are that you install, hurricane proof windows, which are much more expensive than standard windows. Well the builder poured the foundation and installed his basement windows. Shortly thereafter, he found that all the basement windows had been broken. He replaced them and they were broken again. He's also had some other vandalism. He's installed lighting and installed an 8 foot chain link fence. The windows were broken again. Now he's concerned that when he reaches the point that his $75,000.00 worth of hurricane windows are installed, they'll find them a special challange. He intends to board them up from the outside but he's concerned that they'll get into the house and try to break them from the inside. He wanted me to install some motion detectors and a voice siren with the standard message, "police have been called" etc but I told him that after a couple of time with no police showing up they'd be back. He wanted cameras but he's concerned that they'll just take the cameras and besides, there's no place to put the DVR and the cost would be prohibitive.

I was trying to think of something that would keep them out of the house. So, I bought three of the Visonic speech processor modules and went on line and downloaded some sound bytes of barking dogs. I got some pretty good ones with chains draging and with my audio program I've been able to get three different sounding barking dogs going through 30watt speakers, each powered by a 2.5A power supply. I figure with these being tripped by 4 or five Crow outdoor motion detectors through a triggered time delay, sounding in an empty house, it's going to sound pretty good.

The only problem with this is that it will certainly work if they get into the yard and trip the motion detectors. But if they throw stones at the house and the "dogs" don't respond, it'll kind of look suspicious.

Anyone know of any device that could trip on sound alone?

I've got to get this thing completed soon. I'm driving my wifes cat, crazy ..... not to mention the dirty looks from my wife.

Reply to
Jim

The Video Jet 40 is small enough to put nearly anywhere, and cheap enough too. It works with a standard web browser.

formatting link
environmentally hardened VideoJet X40 features DVD-like quality MPEG-4 video, at up to 25/30 FPS (at 2CIF) or 12/15 FPS (at 4CIF) over IP networks. Designed for extreme conditions and with a USB port to drive future peripherals, the video can be received and displayed with VIDOS video management software, Bosch Video Management System, a standard web browser or Bosch's hybrid DVR, DiBos.

Reply to
Roland Moore

browser.http://www.boschsecurity.us/ip/encoders.aspx?pageid=238> The environmentally hardened VideoJet X40 features DVD-like quality MPEG-4

There's no phone line, or internet connection. Only temporary AC power. Too expensive for a one time use. It's not a deterrent.

Reply to
Jim

There's no phone line, or internet connection. Only temporary AC power. Too expensive for a one time use. It's not a deterrent.

If you want to try some new strange ideas to enterta>>

Reply to
Roland

I'm guessing the wireless router has got a range greater than a mile or so? This house is pretty isolated which is the reason the kids are able to get to it break glass and break into tool boxes and vandalize the house and get away, without being seen by neighbors.

I don't know what the Jet 40 is, but if it doesn't make a noise and create a deterrent, it's just gonna get stolen ..... after they break the windows.

Reply to
Jim

A vault alarm from Pittway.

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

That would be more determined by the type of antenna on each end. If there are no terrain obstructions it could have over 10 miles range. You could set a virtual perimeter and close a relay(s) to make it do whatever you wish like horns, or lights or whatever.

I'm guessing the wireless router has got a range greater than a mile or so? This house is pretty isolated which is the reason the kids are able to get to it break glass and break into tool boxes and vandalize the house and get away, without being seen by neighbors.

I don't know what the Jet 40 is, but if it doesn't make a noise and create a deterrent, it's just gonna get stolen ..... after they break the windows.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Reply to
Roland Moore

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.