Re: installing cams in IL, need advice Thanks

OP:

Hello All, I haven't posted in awhile, so I hope everyone is doing well. I just moved to Illinois and have come to find my apartment complex is interested in having cameras installed throughout each of their seven buildings. I have installed simple cam systems (4 and 8 cams with stand-alone monitor) for some churches I work with, but it looks like the apartment people want a bit more. I know cam installs usually aren't very difficult (3 wires per cam and a basic rack mount DVR), but I'm not sure what the regulations are in IL for installs. I suppose I could go with the "consultant" route and tell them how it needs to be done, but it is so much easier to just run the wires and to

do the computer setup myself. They wouldn't be paying me, but instead they would wave my rent. Anyone know of laws or ordinances which I should research further?

Also I would need someone who would like to make a bid for the company.

They would need systems for 7 buildings (8 color cctv cams each, time-lapse recording on VCR or DVR, a couple of night vision cams for the parking lots). These are older buildings, so the ceilings are concrete. I figured the only real way to deal with that is painted track molding. I saw a few (hundred) packages online for about $1,500. They included 8 dome cams, computer, DVR box, and all of the cables. I'm sure one of the wholesalers (or installers) can beat that price with the multiple unit sales. Just let me know what you all think.

Thanks, Scott

------------------------------------------------ GM Reply:

According to

formatting link
the licensing bureau in that state is:

Department of Professional Regulation

320 W. Washington Street, 3rd Floor Springfield, IL 62786 Tel: 217-782-6742 Better check with them first to make sure you're not violating any laws.

>Also I would need someone who would like to make a bid for the company.

A bid for what? I thought you were doing the work.

They would need systems for 7 buildings (8 color cctv cams each, >time-lapse recording on VCR or DVR, a couple of night vision cams for >the parking lots). These are older buildings, so the ceilings are >concrete. I figured the only real way to deal with that is painted >track molding. I saw a few (hundred) packages online for about $1,500. >They included 8 dome cams, computer, DVR box, and all of the cables. >I'm sure one of the wholesalers (or installers) can beat that price >with the multiple unit sales. Just let me know what you all think.

I can't beat $1500 for a 8 channel DVR, 8 domes, computer, and cabling!

You're talking 56 cameras, DVR combo to support those (w/ networking functionality), tons of cabling, power supplies, ect... Might want to look into a matrix too system if someone is to watch those 24/7.

You're looking at 40K plus in parts if you ask me.

I'll crosspost this to ASA so you'll get more feedback.

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

Don't ya just love the internet! You can find all the junk in the world there. You won't get a legitimate installation company to even call you if you want that amount of equipment for that price. If someone does call you, for the type of application you are looking at, and offers that price, run like hell. I am looking at a system right now with a 16 channel 320g DVR with 10 dome cameras, mounts, flat screen monitor, and all the necessary power and backup power supplies, cabling, labor etc. and we are at near 9K without blinking. For that 1500.00 over the internet, you will receive a toy and the OP will laughing all the way to the bank. Then try to get an installation company to install other peoples equipment, as this sounds way over the novices head. Then there is the question about technical support and warranty. They won't answer the phone, won't return emails, won't pay attention to faxes. Hmmm, sounds familiar. :o)

Turn this over quick, without repeating internet prices, so the customer doesn't get sticker shock when they receive a ligitimate proposal. They may anyway.

Take Graham's advice and contact the State. Illinois does have some stringent licensing laws and may be even stricter around the Chicago area.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Just wanted to clear up the pricing. The equipment I found was $1500 per building. Seven buildings total. A company just put in a bid to the office at $50k. The bid was for cameras at building entrances and on the parking lots. I believe 6 cams per building. DVR and web based monitoring. Does that seem like a good deal ?

Thanks all, Scott

Reply to
Impalpable

We are working on a 32 camera install with one DVR for $50k

James

Reply to
J Barnes

$1500 per bldg. is still way too low for the equipment. Think about it, you'll need a 8 channel DVR per bldg. (unless ALL your cabling can be run to a head-end). Last time I checked a decent 8ch DVR blows more than half your budget. You won't find 6 good cams for ~$600 based on your need of LED illuminators for some. We still haven't talked about monitors, cabling, power supplies, etc....

Why don't you provide a link for that stuff you're looking at so we can peek-a-boo?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Reply to
alarman

Here is a link to one such system.

formatting link
I think I will just let the apartment complex take the 50k bid. After hardware and install I don't think it will be a very profitable job.

Thanks all for your input.

Scott

Reply to
Impalpable

Electronics line ETV

formatting link
However, now they are talking about using 2 General Solution units instead. They like the picture quality of the GS machines.

James

Reply to
J Barnes

Reply to
mouath

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.