References for Brivo Systems Door Access Controls?

Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Brivo Systems door access control systems? Their marketing documents stress all the right features for a multi-office, remote control application. Their Internet integration appears very strong, both with web browser access to the individual panels and strong e-mail notification features (always nice to know that someone is trying to get in at 3am....). The user manual I saw for the administrative software on their website at

formatting link
was probably the best written and best organized software user manual I have ever seen for a security product (that might not be saying much :) ).

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has actually used the product, and what are the misimplemented features?

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Brivo Systems is a elatively small access control company with a unique product. The cellular product is especially useful for remote areas with limited connectivety. Brivo is basically remote hosted access control system that communicates via the Internet or via cellular. End user account databases are hosted on Brivo servers and accessed remotely using IE. The main strengths are the remote accessbility, never having to worry about a future incompatibility with an OS or hardware version, and the ease of integrating nonconnected sites without having to worry with trenching or traditional microwave or WiFi connectivity. Weaknesses include the inability to share data with other systems since the database resides offsite and the lack of an intgrated badging solution. In short, Brivo is a niche product best suited for property management companies, remote gates, and for customers who want to control multiple sites from multiple access points without having to woryy with client software. J.

Reply to
J.

That's a shame that Brivo appears to have no option to run their control software on the customer's computer. I don't like the security implications of the administration tool running on their computer. What happens when someone steals my userid and password? What happens when they go out of business? How does Brivo uplink the access panel to their computers? The panel is Internet connected and they connect to it directly?

What product(s) do you think have the best e-mail and Internet integration for a location with under 10 doors?

Reply to
Will

For the money, Kantech Corporate Edition.

Reply to
J.

I believe they have redundant servers at two separate locations - east coast and west coast, maybe? They'll claim this is more secure because they have much better security at their server sites than would a typical end-user with a local database housed on a box on the receptionists desk. With any remotely accessible system, you run the risk of someone with your login and password compromising the system, although with most systems you would also need the client side software to be able to communicate. As far as them going out of business, you'd have to find some access control panels and some software to replace Brivo with should this happen. Their systems use standard HID card readers.

J.

Reply to
J.

If the Internet security is under my control, I can put the panel on a separate network attached to a computer whose access requires both a userid/password as well as a cipher code that is randomized (see

formatting link
for an example). The CIA could get in, but your average kiddy hacker wouldn't have a chance.

About 40% of all home computers (and quite a large number of business ones too) have keystroke sniffing programs installed (e.g., Trojan Horses) and I don't think userids or passwords can be made secure any more.

Reply to
Will

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.