CCTV Power supplies

Anyone have a source for CCTV power supplies?

I have a tendancy to use 24VAC rather then 12 DC unless the distance is les s than 150 feet. I usually need at least one amp per "channel" for either

8 or 16 cameras. I know in the past I was able to get them for under a $100 dollars but lately everything I see is over that.

Also, has anyone tried the cameras I'm seeing that have the visible LED's t hat come on when motion is detected? Is it just a gimmick ... or what? How much light could it throw? And wouldn't it switch back to color?

I still can't see the advantage that IP/HD cameras have that warrant the bi g difference in price over analog. Especially if you throw in the price of NVR and the fact that I haven't seen an 8 channel NVR/HD-DVR that's resonab ly priced and NO 16 channel. I mean .... I see the nice clear picture .... it's just that the end user wont go the extra amount to get that clarity. I t just hasn't reached that price point that the customer will go the extra bucks .... at least for me .... anyway.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

ess than 150 feet. I usually need at least one amp per "channel"  for eit her 8 or 16 cameras. I know in the past I was able to get them for under a $100 dollars but lately everything I see is over that.

that come on when motion is detected? Is it just a gimmick ... or what? Ho w much light could it throw? And wouldn't it switch back to color?

big difference in price over analog. Especially if you throw in the price o f NVR and the fact that I haven't seen an 8 channel NVR/HD-DVR that's reson ably priced and NO 16 channel. I mean .... I see the nice clear picture ... . it's just that the end user wont go the extra amount to get that clarity. It just hasn't reached that price point that the customer will go the extr a bucks .... at least for me .... anyway.

What does: Supercircuits, Inc. 1.877.995.2288

11000 N Mopac Expressway, Suite 300 Austin, TX 78759
formatting link
quote for costs?
Reply to
Robert Macy

I use mostly DC cameras and have not had any issues out to several hundred feet. I tried the 24VAC:12VDC converters and they all failed in less than a year. I used to use all 24VAC and I still use them for longer runs, but...

The only real advantage to the IP cameras is with the really high resolution ones. 3MP+ You can actually do near TV-show type tricks with them. Zoom in on a view of multiple gas pump islands and actually read a license plate. That sort of thing. With regular CCTV you needed overview cameras and license plate cameras to do the same job.

And customers never want to pay for what they want.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:07:49 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote: What does: Supercircuits, Inc. 1.877.995.2288 11000 N Mopac Expressway, Suite

300 Austin, TX 78759
formatting link
quote for costs?

I've looked at them in the past. Their prices are just about the same as I get thru distribution.

Right now I'm looking for an 8 camera, 1 Amp per camera 24VAC power supply for under $100.00. In the past I've been able to get them for as low as $68.00. But I dont see anything lower than about $100.00 now.

Reply to
Jim

You mean you can't give them a camera that will see a license plate of a ca r in a parking lot full of over 100 cars, in the reflection of someones mir rored sunglasses, 150 feet away, at night .... for under $200.00??? Jee eeze.

Reply to
Jim

Nope, for those customers I suggest they talk to and get the personal attention they need from the salesman at Warehouse-Mart who still believes that specs on the box of those $49.95 camera is understating what they can really do. Oh, wait. They don't have any salesmen. Too late. The "customer" already left. Oh, well. Maybe I'll remember next time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi,

Supercircuits isn't really a distributor. They are more like a glorified retailer. Also, Security Cameras Direct is also another company that does the same. The sales flyers from both of those companies are alike which indicates that they are co-owned; they pretend to be in competition with one another.

If you like the price of $43.00 for a 24Vac, 9ch, 10amp, I remembered a flyer/email from late fall last year that had those specs on it. The part number is CP2409 from Eastern CCTV in NY. The regular price is $57. Depending on where you are located, I believe they also have an outlet in California. We don't actually buy from them. Hope this helps you. You will need to open a formal account first with them.

Reply to
E DAWSON
0bc> On Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:07:49 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote: > What do es: Supercircuits, Inc. 1.877.995.2288 11000 N Mopac Expressway, > Suite 30 0 Austin, TX 78759
formatting link
quote for costs? > > I've l ooked at them in the past. Their prices are just about the same as I > get thru distribution. > > Right now I'm looking for an 8 camera, 1 Amp per cam era 24VAC power supply > for under $100.00. In the past I've been able to g et them for as low as > $68.00. But I dont see anything lower than about $1 00.00 now. Hi, Supercircuits isn't really a distributor. They are more like a glorified retailer. Also, Security Cameras Direct is also another compan y that does the same. The sales flyers from both of those companies are ali ke which indicates that they are co-owned; they pretend to be in competitio n with one another. If you like the price of $43.00 for a 24Vac, 9ch, 10amp , I remembered a flyer/email from late fall last year that had those specs on it. The part number is CP2409 from Eastern CCTV in NY. The regular price is $57. Depending on where you are located, I believe they also have an ou tlet in California. We don't actually buy from them. Hope this helps you. Y ou will need to open a formal account first with them.

Yeah, I know that about SCD and SC .... I look through their catalogs as a hobby ... I guess. But somethimes that have some good stuff. I bought a wri st cam from them a few years ago that was on sale for some ridiculous low p rice. I don't remember how much but it was about $50/60 bucks. Still works but I don't see any way to change the rechargeable battery .. so we'll see if it's just a throw-away when the time comes.

I'll take a look at Eastern. Thanks for the referral.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.