Powering case heathers with PoE Cameras

Forgive me if this is a bit off topic, but my company has just started to install IP Cameras with Power Over Ethernet connectors on the back. The idea of these is that power comes down the CAT5 cable, so you don't need a mains power supply.

Whilst this makes for a very neat installation, the problem is that you can't derive 12v from anywhere to power the heater, as the PoE Splitter is internal to the camera. I have asked the camera manufacturers why they don't supply a 12v source and they generally say that whilst some older analog cameras used to provide power output for heating/ventilation, this is not typically done today.

Is this true? Are heaters a thing of the past? Are there any IP Camera installers here who still power case heaters? How is it done? Have PoE powered IP camera manufacturers got it wrong?

-Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Spence1
Loading thread data ...

Sorry about the title typo. Should read 'Case Heaters'

-Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Spence1

gotta run separate power for heater and fan.

Reply to
Don

And most of the housings have 24V AC heater and fan hook up.

I would like some reliable 12V housings to try.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

formatting link
these yet?

Reply to
Don

There is really not too much utility in providing an auxiliary power output from a PoE-powered camera. You can only draw 13W from a single PoE switch port, and that's just about how much the camera and the lens (if auto-iris) are already drawing. There is really just not enough juice in a standard power over Ethernet, especially not enough for the heater. They are talking about high-power PoE (35W) but I am not sure where the standard development stands on the high power version. Even then, I don't think 35W is all that much to throw the heater on it, too.

Cheers, D~

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.security.alarms - 21599 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

Thanks

The 12v heathers we use are about 600mA, and the PoE Camera is about 200mA (I've not met a PoE camera with auto (DC) iris yet). So 13W seems very adequate for both I'd have thought. Having to have a separete power supply removes the reason for having PoE in the first place.

-Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Spence1

In most cases IP PoE are for indoor applications if for no other reason that

100M distance run limits. If you had a typical outdooor camera (in a modern dome assembly) then you would have 24VAC or 120 VAC powering the unit. Newer PTZ domes (not yet released) will have encoders built into the dome housing but won't benefit from PoE. I don't know where you live but if you have a powered and grounded path from outdoors to indoors a good lightning bolt will find it. Your expensive switch, like say a Cisco Catalyst 3560-24PS switch, will have that distinctive BBQ smell and flavor And so might your job for installing such a perfect lightning rod into such an expensive target (no offense to Ditek meant). Heck you might even be lucky enough to have the fire from the bolt open the head in a sprinkled com closet and have a total loss in a giant 4 post rack. I am sure the Cisco rep would a least buy you lunch for getting that order for new gear. How much for a rack full of layer 2 (or 3) PoE switches these days? Make it dinner too.
Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.