Please Help: I'm stranded

Hello all,

I recently lost the keys to my car along with my car alarm remote. I purchased my '92 Celica from a used card dealer and it already had an alarm on it, installed by the previous owner and not the manufacturer. It is a Pursuit alarm.

Since I've lost my alarm remote, I cannot turn my car on without setting off the alarm. How can I permanantly deactivate the alarm without having the remote to do it?

I've not found a valet switch yet, but if I do find it, will I have to turn off the alarm to use it anyway? Any help would be very very apreciated since I'm stuck without a car now.

Oh, and when my dad and I tried cutting the wires to the alarm about a year ago to deactivate it, it killed the car and it wouldn't start until we reconnected the wires.

Thank you!

Scott

Reply to
scott_cleve1and
Loading thread data ...

Dunno much about car alarms but....Google like this:

pursuit "car alarm"

turns up forums for audiovox pursuit car alarms, and the first paid adv. hit is for a company that sells remotes for car alarms

and remember...Google is your friend :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

From his description it sounds like a cutoff switch is used.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Look under the steering column and locate the ignition wire. usually the biggest one in the bundle. follow it and you should come across a relay in line with it. That is the ignition kill relay. take the 2 incoming main wires(big ones) and put em back together. That should enable you to remove the car alarm.

Reply to
Devin

Locate the main alarm unit. The valet switch is usually 2 thin wires leading somewhere on the drivers side.

If all else fails, try pulling the wiring harness off the main alarm unit. If the cutoff switch is not used, that will disable the alarm completely.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Thank you for your responses everyone. It's raining now, but I'll head out in a bit to see if i can try some of your suggestions and get back with you. Thanks for taking time to answer.

Scott

Reply to
scott_cleve1and

I looked under the steering column and found a shock alarm box. Touching it set off the alarm naturally. I could not locate a valet switch anywhere.

I'm afraid there were way too many wires for me to identifiy the ignition wire, Devin. I did look for the relay box you mentioned but did not see it. Thank you for your help though.

I'll look into ordering a replacement remote. Is it difficult to program a remote to the frequency /setting of the alarm?

Scott

Reply to
wscleveland

You know that valet switches are usually tiny microswitches right? You may need a bright flashlight to find it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

cut the wires to the alarm from the battery?

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.