PIR's: Why trip on two detects?

I have a dual-tech motion detector and it has a dip-switch option to trip alarm on two consecutive detections instead of one. It claims to remove more false alarms. So, the next obvious question is why? Dual-tech is already very good at removing false alarms, so why would I want to wait for two detections when one should tell me that something's moving in the room? Anyone every use this option?

Reply to
Total nerd
Loading thread data ...

Some dual tech's allow you to select "either" or "both" technologies to generate an alarm condition that will trip the relay. That's probably what the switch allows you to option. What's the make and model of detector you're using??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Are you talking about Pulse count?...that's not quite the same as two trips.

I use pulse count all the time, the count I set it at depends on the conditions of the room, harshness of the evironment, dogs, kids, mirrors, fans, fax machines, heat/cooling ducts etc.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You're still using detectors that use "pulse-count"?? *Gasp!*

Reply to
Frank Olson

Back to the original question, the reason you wait for two trips is that PIR's are notorious for falsing at guests of air, a change in the position of the sun, a reflection from across the street, or for no reason at all.

By waiting for a secondary confirmation before it goes into alarm, the device is double checking the alarm's validity.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

FRANK The Majority of UK PIRs have Pulse count capability (usually adjustable 1 -

3). The majority of UK Panels have no kind of sensitivity settings whatsoever.

Most systems are bells only and a large percentage of systems are installed by electricians who are not registered with any alarm inspectorate and the panels they use and systems they design are very basic.

Only the registered professionals can install Monitored Systems and being registered also means that the Non Monitored systems installed have to be of a higher standard too.

A surprising number of Installers (non registered) would not understand the proper use of such as "pulse count" "latching" "double knock" "anti masking" "confirmation" "End of Line Resistors" "I.D chips - Bus System" in some cases not even "series" & " parallel". I have come across many systems that have been designed to suit the default programming because re-programming is a foreign language. I am sure that many of the Professional Installers will have some horrendous tales to tell on this subject.

I for one discovered a Licenced premises where a six zone panel was installed, only 2 zones used. Zone 1 entry exit timed on a door contact, Zone 2 three PIRs and a door contact covering the "valuables area" but all

4 were connected in parallel so the alarm would only trigger if the door and three PIRs in separate rooms were triggered at the same time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to
BIG NIGE

Thats taking false alarm prevention to the extreme

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

yah...why what do you mean, whats wrong with pulse counts?

| > I use pulse count all the time, the count I set it at depends on the | > conditions of the room, harshness of the evironment, dogs, kids, mirrors, | > fans, fax machines, heat/cooling ducts etc. | | | You're still using detectors that use "pulse-count"?? *Gasp!* |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Two words: "Go Digital". :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

FRANK

Can you post a link to a Spec for the type of Sensor you use over there please.

Be interesting to see what type of Sensors Pro's use in another country.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

ok save me some search time...which digital pirs ? i guess i've never had much probs with the ones ive been using, but me pea brain is open to suggestions!

| > I use pulse count all the time, the count I set it at depends on the | > conditions of the room, harshness of the evironment, dogs, kids, mirrors, | > fans, fax machines, heat/cooling ducts etc. | | | You're still using detectors that use "pulse-count"?? *Gasp!* |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hi Nige,

How's the weather your way.

Most detectors we use here were the same internationally before the introduction of grade 3 with antimask which may be more European specific. I used the same Optex and Napco detectors in Australia for years before coming home.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Offhand, I can't think of any dual tech that can be set to trip on either PIR or MW, rather than both. Which one are you thinking of?

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Sure!!! Go to

formatting link
The best part is, they're even available over there!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

That makes sense. This detector has switches to turn on/off both PIR and MW detection. I have them both on, and turned off the need for two trips in succession. Which begs the question -- how long of a time needs to elaps to consider the second detection separate from the first detection? Not sure which one it is but it sure looks like either an Intellisense or maybe a Visonic Duo 220 with lookdown. I think it's the Visonic.

Reply to
Total nerd

Sounds to me like you have the Visonic Duo 220. Here are the installation instructions.

formatting link
$FILE/Duo220_Duo220AM_English_Installation_Instructions.pdf

Reply to
Frank Olson

I suspect much better than you have had Paul not a hint of snow, just a little rain but quite cold. (I hope i hav'nt spoken too soon)

The government said that they wanted to save rainforests. I assume that they changed their minds on 1st October.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

thanks for the link Frank (Will have a browse when time allows)

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Yes, that's what I have. I set it up to use both MW and PIR and trip on one detect. The thing keeps flashing and going into trouble (or masking). It works most of the time but then, out of nowhere, it starts flashing. The manual says to move into it's field to reset it (that works) and if it keeps happening, it's defective. Ever have a defective one of these out of the box? Or is it set wrong? It might be set to a longer range than the room it's in. Is that a problem for these things or it shouldn't matter?

Reply to
Total nerd

It definitely matters. Try adjusting the range on that part of the sensor so that only movement within the protected space will set it off. Microwaves tend to "ignore" walls and you may be picking up traffic from outside which is setting off only one part of the sensor. The "fuzzy logic" may be looking for confirmation on the PIR side and when it doesn't get it, it goes into "trouble" because it assumes one side is blocked (or masked).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.