Overhead Door Magnetic Contact

I am considering adding contacts to overhead garage doors for use with my Ademco Vista 20P security system.

I see Ademco has a 957 Overhead Door Magnetic Contact. I see photos of the device, but I do not see any detailed information on how it fits to garage doors. Is there any information available online?

Have these generally proved to be reliable?

PaulF

Reply to
Paul Ferguson
Loading thread data ...

Paul,

The 957 is usually mounted to the bottom of the door. The sensor part with the cable connected is affixed to the floor using screws and anchors (there are various types available at hardware stores) near one side of the door. The magnet is affixed to the door itself such that the two are aligned and nearly touching with the door closed. When the door opens the magnet moves away, causing the sensor to open the alarm circuit.

Another option is to mount the sensor to the wall above the door. The advantage to this location is the wire isn't likely to be snagged by rakes, shovels and other household stuff that folks leave in the garage. If you mount it to the wall, just be sure to leave enough room so that the magnet doesn't bump the sensor as the door opens. The 957 has a 2" gap which means that the magnet can be mounted nearly 2" away from the sensor.

If you need more specifics on the procedure, ask and I'll detail it a little better for you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yor fogot to tell that you sell them and show him your BBB report.

The Online vender operating under the names shown below has an UNSATISFACTORY RECORD with the BBB with 21 complaints in the past 36 months,

11 were closed in the last year. You decide.

Bass Home Electronics 4883 Fallcrest Cir Sarasota, FL 34233 Telephone: (941) 925-9747 Fax: (941) 925-9747

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link

See the BBB report on line before you purchase from this vendor.

There is a lot more to consider than just a low price when shopping on the internet. Don't become the next victim. SEE THE REPORT BELOW

formatting link

Reply to
SatanBass

The best imo is the GE Sentrol 2315, they take two seconds to install...they clip on the track. They cost more but definitely low maintence.

Paul Fergus> I am considering adding contacts to overhead garage doors for use with

Reply to
Crash google

Oh, yeah, you'll probably want to use the second entry delay timer for the ohds otherwise when you push your ohd opener remote from down the block you may run out of entry time before you even get to your house.

Crash google wrote:

Reply to
Crash google

Most companies mount the cntact to the floor with screws and anchors, and attached the magnet brackt to the bottom of the door. That works and I have installed hundreds of overhead door magnets that way, but now I put them on the top of overhead doors.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've been putting them on the top also whenever I can. Up there they are less likely to be damaged by forklifts or what ever. learned from the school of hard knocks

Reply to
ditto

The problem with putting them on the very top is that I've seen the bad guys push in on the bottom of the door with the front of a vehicle and bend the door enough to crawl through. I also stopped putting them on the floor because the cables get broken by idiot forklift drivers (etc). The Sentrol 2315s are a good compromise as you can easily place them anywhere on the track. Try one...you'll never use anything else...they're worth the extra bucks for sure.

Bob La L> Most companies mount the cntact to the floor with screws and anchors, and

Reply to
Crash

formatting link
$$.

Reply to
ditto

does the Sentrol 2315 trip when this happens?

Reply to
mikey

In the 24 years I spend installing and servicing alarms I never ran across a place where that had been done. Nonetheless, I don't doubt you. Perhaps crooks are getting slicker in your region, Crash.

Those will do fine. Bruce Robins, a well-known home automator from the CHA newsgroup once described how he did it and I thought it was an innovative solution, though it would also not detect someone pushing in the bottom panel. Instead of mounting to the door, he connected the sensor to the garage door opener and mounted the magnet on the trolley that pulls the door up and down. This allowed him to mount the magnetic sensor away from all the floor hazards and to also use a standard, wide gap contact instead of a special track mounted unit.

Here's a photo of Bruce's project:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It's not uncommon, and it's nothing new, especially with sectional overhead doors. A large crowbar can force the wheels out of the tracks, allowing the bottom panel of the door to hinge upward. A drive-through attack can do the same thing, and it doesn't necessarily rip the entire door off the track. Top-mounted contacts are low maintenance, but not good protection for commercial doors.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

There is no magnet on the trolley.

Reply to
G. Morgan

hehehe i remember as a kid helping out in the Summer on installs in Pittsburgh... relays and control units were Vacuum tube devices, and the garage door "sensors" consisted of plug and socket wiring that got "pulled apart" if someone opened the door after business hours.

magnets and reed switches were a major breakthrough, and are still a solid performer after all these years...

amazing

Ciao

Ventura

Reply to
Ventura

The trolley is not lined up with contact in the picture. I was just thinking that looked like a good way to vent a garage door to. Something I run into here from time to time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Correct about the trolley. The image is one of several from Bruce's site. ISTR believe he was using it to allow his home automation system to close the door if it was left open.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Is that a white switch under the brown one?

Robert L Bass wrote:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
Crash

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.