OT: Life's little lessons

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs . . I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

And after that?" asked the Mexican.

With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my Friend, That's when it gets really interesting,"answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the Mexican.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

And the moral is: Know where you're going in life...... you may already be there.

Reply to
Jackcsg
Loading thread data ...

I'd always sorta rationalized not really making much of a success of my little company after all these years with this kind of reasoning. But, I must say, it does look pretty good in print.

It's going in to a frame on my wall, Jackcsg. Thanks.

Reply to
mikey

This is the one I have framed in my office. I copied it from a book that was written in the late 1800's. They quoted it as author unknown.

============================

Master of human destinies am I.

Fame, love, and fortune on my footsteps wait.

Cities and field I walk, I penetrate deserts and seas remote, and passing by hovel and mart and palace, soon or late.I knock, unbidden, once at every gate.

If sleeping, wake; if feasting, rise before I turn away. It is the hour of fate.And they who follow me reach every state.

Mortals desire, and conquer every foe save death; but those who doubt or hesitate condemed to failure, penury and woe, seek me in vain and uselessly implore.

I answer not, and return no more.

OPPORTUNITY

Reply to
Jim

Of course there's always my favorite as well.....

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

- General MacArthur

Reply to
Jackcsg

I'm not surprised.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

No you not surprised,your a prick

Reply to
petem

it costs money to do all that, and life on an island isnt as fun and cheap as you think ... if you are content with things like that, and never experiencing what else is out there, then yes you are going to be fine where you are, on the island making very little money, spending more than you would living in a big city, recycling clothing among family and friends, and basically counting the sun and playing dominos if you are "lucky" enough to afford them ... then there is the thing about being able to pay for those drinks :-)

Reply to
cctvbahamas

At least I'm a successful one. What's your excuse?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

My Brotha, My Brotha, do you gauge success by the number of BBB complaints you receive?

formatting link
||| < Satan > ||| | |

formatting link

Reply to
Satan

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

successful at being a prick that's for sure..

I don't need excuse,I am not you..

Reply to
petem

I must say for someone using english as a second or third language; well said, petem!

Reply to
joe

Bwahahahhahahahahaha! Admitting you're a "successful prick" is at least "step in the right direction"!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Now theres something to be proud of, still at least its 50% truer than most things you post, if only you could put as much effort into being successful as you do in accomplishing the other half of your statement.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.