Nicet Training

Good Afternoon:

I'm interested in obtaining some information regarding Nicet Certification in the U.S. I'm posting from Vancouver, Canada and am primarily looking to review the training and experience requirements so I can compare them to what's available here through ASTTBC

formatting link
'd also be interested in having a look at the course curriculum for each level. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks & regards,

Frank

Reply to
Fire Tech
Loading thread data ...

If you ask me NICET training is not worth the paper it is written on when i see all the slope out there being installed by NICET certified techs.

how ever i bieleive the website is

formatting link

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Except if the AHJ requires plans be submitted by NICET person.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Sad to say, I'm finding the exact same thing here. I'm currently involved in a bit of "discussion" with ASTTBC over some "sloppy" work done by some of their technicians in a project I've been called in to assist on. Sort of makes you want to ''gnash your teeth", but I'm recovering from a root canal (done yesterday) which makes doing that a bit painful.

Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Frank

Reply to
Fire Tech

Have you seen the CFAA site

formatting link
It's a bit on the "hokey" side, but it appears they have the "inside track" in a number of Provinces. I don't know if there's a "BC Chapter", but I imagine if you drop them an email (or give their toll free number a call), you could certainly find out.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Michael Baker

I just completed testing for my lvl 2 NICET certification and I found the test modules very disappointing.

The questions seemed, for the most part, to dwell on the arcain and trivial. It would be very possible to have a perfect score on all the modules and still not have a clue as to how to install a fire alarm system.

I have had the good fortune of working with an "old timer" who understands the meaning of craftsmanship. He knows NFPA 72, which tells him what and where but not how. And, understands what you can't find in any wriiten code. Intergrity. Honor. NICET doens't test over that kind of material.

Reply to
jewellfish

Reply to
Michael Baker

Topless supervisors?? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

That look like Tom perhaps?

Reply to
coord

No actually. I was thinking more along the lines of Tiffany Fallon (2005 Playmate of the Year) or Laurie Wood (Miss March '89). Yowza!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

I remember that. Tom wasn't used to the alcohol content of the real beer up here yet and got a little carried away. The visual wasn't tooooo bad but when he jumped up on the stage and hip-checked the stripper into the salad bar, I got a little concerned. Off came the pants and then he started gyrating and singing, "I'm not white, I'M PINK" and I knew it was trouble... Good thing I have some buddies in Vice, it could have turned out much differently.

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

hands on verified wiring and code skills.

Any idiot can read a book and pass a test I have never seen a hands on test to prove what you know. have them wire up a small system to nec and nfpa standards.

then you have a real test .

I see this shit all the time when some one tels me he is a liscensed electricain etc, big deal my dog has a liscense show me what you got.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

This has been a contentious issue, nationwide. I agree with you and it seems that the best method is an apprenticeship program where 4 years of OJT is augmented with 4 years of classroom training. Unfortunately, states are the driving force here and they range from no requirements (ie. California) to a 4-year apprenticeship (ie. Oregon).

One of the most eye-opening events in my life is when I ventured outside of Oregon, in my post-Navy life and found a wide range of requirements coast-to-coast. I had thought that all states required anyone working on an electrical system to be a licensed electrician. Au contrare mon frere!

Reply to
Michael Baker

That is the problem here in Pa any one can be a plumber,electricain builder, etc etc no lscense no training requirements etc just put up your shingle except for certain big cities and countys.

I know electricains and fire alarm installers who have never had one of there installs ever inspected they just do what they feel like and the hell with everyone. and then you have ahj woh nerv inspect any thing just hand out occupancy permits Pa. is facing a major crisis even with ICC in place 80% of the state has chozen to ignore icc and nfpa.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

That's the IBEW model, apprenticeship with work experience and classroom training. Unfortunately, the electricians figure that a week or two of fire alarm training means they're qualified to do fire. By the way, are electricians exempt from NICET certification requirements?

I'm not sure you could build a curriculum of four years just on fire alarms, though, so your 4+4 plan might not be workable.

NICET is supposed to have work experience requirements as part of the certification process. I gather you don't think this has been a success. :-)

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

I was trained on the dark side in merit shops where the same 4 + 4 program is used as at IBEW. The journeyman winds up a well rounded electrician (pun intended) with additional training in fire alarm, cctv, access control, data/voice, amplified paging, FO, and so on. These "electives" are covered in the 2nd and 3rd year. Each elective is

10 weeks long. By attending a couple of additional core-division classes, journeymen wind up with an associates degree in industrial technology.

I realize now that Oreg> Mike Baker said:

Reply to
Michael Baker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.