training question

I visited a training company who offers Cisco training for surely a few thousand dollars. They said they have their routers in another city and we will be access the routers remotely for our CCNA class. Is that good? Is that the same as having the routers on site?

Reply to
Dandelion
Loading thread data ...

Ask them if they are using Boson

new guy :)

Reply to
new guy

Yes, as long as their internet connection doesn't go down and none of the remote boxes has a hadware/cabling problem, it should be like having the boxes at your site.

You will connect via telnet to a terminal access box, which has a reverse telnet configuration to emulate a console line via your telnet connection.

It should look like you have a direct console cable connection ......

Am 08.07.2006, 07:28 Uhr, schrieb new guy :

Reply to
curwa01

Reply to
gregg johnstone

Reply to
Mark J

Just as a warning I have had a bit of a negative experience with this same senario. I took a course at a corporate learning center (PolarBear) and they used off site equipment. It was offered by "element k", another training provider. They had a good system. I found the web browser interface to be annoying, and they had their labs booked solid. We had one hour in the morning to complete our labs for the day. Then the equipment was restored to defaults so another class somewhere else in the world could use the equipment for an hour. This was only a 1 week course, but I had really hoped to get more lab time for my $$$

The element k lab book came bundled with the cisco courseware. I think they must have gotten a contract from cisco. The good news is that we got a free 90 lab time subscription with the courseware from element k which gave some time to do labs at home.

Mark J wrote:

Reply to
THEDUDE78

If you cannot touch a router, I mean physically touch the damned thing, DO NOT pay that kind of money for training. Such a notion is patently ridiculous. Routers are very inexpensive these days. There is no reason a training company doesn't have them on site.

Reply to
Melvin

Hi. That type of training does work, but you can't beat the hands on method. Through my work I've been fortunate enough to have little courses (one 3 days, one 4) using bothe methods. Having to physically wire up the kit really does help -especially for subjects, for example, like creating VLANs. That's confusing at the best of times, but to be able to look at ports and trace the connections strikes me as invaluable.

That's mt 2p, hope it's of use.

PM

Reply to
Paul Morris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.