need unbiased advice about lynx system

Welp I wasn't gonna bad mouth the lynx...personally I don't them...but I guess they have their niche for a "certain" market...not mine.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

I was in a 3000 sq ft house a few months ago where someone put in a lynx. It was by the rear kitchen sliding glass door (why? - because that was where the easiest phone line was - no siezure of course)...3 door transmiters and one pir...now that's protection huh!...the homeowner loved it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Well, to be absolutely frank, if the gentleman decides to go with new equipment, I would hope he would throw that "squawk in a box" stuff in the garbage and go with a "real" proper hardwired system. But, hey, it's his money and his security, and since it's not properly monitored anyway, I don't suppose it really matters what he uses.

.....cynical mode "off".......

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I tried to point out the shortcomings of the install but I could tell he thought I was selling sour grapes because he didn't ask me to bid on it (I sold him surround sound and plasma) - needless to say he spent 7 grand on entertainment center and maybe 400 on security his house and family.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You're entire correct. However, your original reply stated that if you sent a certified letter and waited 14 dyas, you'd be in the clear. My point was that this may not be enough to satisfy the laws in the original poster's jurisdiction. The car analogy was off. A better one would be the soda machine in yourplace of business or the copier for that matter, assuming it's leased.

Reply to
J. Sloud

No different than any dealer that puts in the free systems. He makes his money in the monitoring. The couple of hours labour you "lose" at the front end, you make up for with years of monitoring profit, plus multitudes of referrals.

The rest of your comments don't warrant an answer; they are typical of your cynical attitude towards dealers who are more concerned about their clients costs, and in keeping them from making the mistake of signing over control of their alarm system to dealers like you.

You show what you're really made of with all the vitriol you spew on this newsgroup. If you treat your clients like you deal in this newsgroup, I feel genuinely sorry for them.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

No, you're right, they definately do have a market. The Lynx is the same as the Envoy and the Magellan...designed for very small installations, trailers, apartments etc. The problem only occurs when people shoehorn them in to regular homes only because it is less time consuming, and / or allows them to install more of the "free system" type installations in a given time. I've removed more of the Lynx and Envoy systems than I can count and replaced them with a proper hardwired or hybrid system.

I wasn't really "badmouthing" the equipment. Just a cynical comment on where they sometimes go in...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

...........cynical mode "on"........................

Yeah, the client loved it only because he didn't know any better. And he didn't know any better because his security dealer defaulted on his professional obligation to secure his client's home properly. And he "defaulted" on his obligation because our industry is full of the same kind of dealers, big and small, who put quick profits ahead of doing a proper, professional job.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Yeah, that figures too. Security is low on their list of priorities (until they get hit)

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Much better analogies with the soda machine and copier, although they are still many times the value of this particular alarm system. A soda machine or commercial grade copier would be worth going to small claims court over, whereas a small alarm system generally is not.

I think it's safe to assume that 14 days is ample notice. It's next to impossible to get info from local government about particular, obscure regulations and statutes. So, if one is worried about a $100 small claims suit being filed by a large corporation to recoup the depreciated (the nationals depreciate the equipment to help defray the costs) value of this alarm equipment, wait 30 days, or 60, or whatever. I'd feel comfortable that I'd done the right thing with 14 days notice, but your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Yep... I've given a few to good clients when they are moving to a new home thats not ready yet and they want something in the apt they're renting...when I do the new house I take the loaner back and keep it for the next one..I keep it all set up in CS monitoring (just make it inactive) all I have to do is change the name & address on the account for the next guy...bada bing.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I have found 2 uses for them.

We sold a couple to the sherrif's dept. along with 1 5816 and 2 5890 per system. They use them in various places as temp protection.

I gave one to my niece after her apartment was broken into. (she is on college) I showed her how to screw the 5816's and 5890's on place and how to plug it into the wall and the phone. This year will be the third apartment its been in. Real handy.

But, like you, I would not use them for any sort of permanent system.

Reply to
Joe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.