Need a toner!!

Well my old toner died. I never liked it anyway. Can anybody suggest a toner that works? I am usually looking for security wires or music wires covered up by sheetrock installers. The problem with my old one was that it could usually find a wire with-in a 5 or 6 foot circle, but no better. The old one was 15 years old (yeah, I know). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Paul.

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

I like the turbo toner Test -Um makes has good strong signal plus other trouble shooting tools multiple tones etc.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.
5 or 6 FOOT?? Holy cow. I get pissed off when I can't get closer than an INCH or two.

Progressive toners are the ones I use.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Paul

For stuff in the ground or buried deep or pushed up above insulation I use the Tempo 508S (older version that the one shown on website), for normal in the wall stuff I use the Tempo 620K (nice) - now called Tempo-Mesa (not Progressive)

formatting link
They used to be called Progressive Electronics..we used to secure their building many years ago and then gave us some toners when we did the job and we were pretty much hooked after that.

| >Progressive toners are the ones I use. | >

| >

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

5 or 6 feet?? Are you grounding one leg of the tone generator? js
Reply to
Buggs

I've used Progressive tone sets for many years. They work very well and, unless you drop them in the swimming pool (oops!), they last forever.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Progressive tone sets can pick up a wire behind a wall at least 6 feet away, more most of the time. You don't ground one leg. You just clip each lead to one wire in an open pair. If the pair is shorted, connect only one lead. The signal will be weaker but still usable.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

LPS used to have a water displacer product that you could spray on electronics to help protect them. I watched they guy for LPS at a hardware trade show running a plain old electric drill in a tub of water over and over and over many years agao.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.