More VOIP/Digital Voice

A friend of mine owns a business in Canada. He added 2 of these magicjacks on his mail server and connected them to his business phone system. He now has US based phone & fax lines which otherwise would have cost in excess of $100 extra a month.

The way technology is growing, long distance charges will be a thing of the past within 10 to 20 years. I can also see cell phones going that way as well. You will be able to call from anywhere to anywhere free. Flat rate cellular & local phone service is here to stay.

Jim Rojas

A.J. wrote:

[url=
formatting link
>>>> ~
[url=
formatting link
>>>> Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at
formatting link
>> Friend of mine out in California is using the Magicjack and so far, he
Reply to
Jim Rojas
Loading thread data ...

HOLD ON THERE BABALOUIE!!! (My best Quickdraw McGraw impression)

When Vonage came out there were a lot of problems with alarm system transmissions having the data packets screwed up by the different versions of the software being used.

Is Magic Jack different? Or have the problems been overcome and is VOIP now a reliable alternative to a regular POTS line?

Jim Rojas wrote:

[url=
formatting link
[url=
formatting link
Reply to
JoeRaisin

When Vonage first came out, it was a huge bandwidth hog. This causes hiccups, studdering, and echoes in transmissions. I haven't tried their service myself lately, mainly because it is cheaper for me to have Verizon Fios to provide me 2 lines.

Magicjack uses very little bandwidth. This was confirmed by my friend in Canada.

Vonage basically charges way too much for their service, if you consider what their method of transmission is. $24.99 per line gets steep quick. If Vonage would drop additional lines to lets say $9.95, then they stand a chance of staying in business. Otherwise they will lose customers by the thousands to Magicjack and other companies that offer similar services.

Jim Rojas

JoeRais> HOLD ON THERE BABALOUIE!!! (My best Quickdraw McGraw impression) >

[url=
formatting link
[url=
formatting link
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Once Magicjack gets their number porting service available, You will then see hundreds of thousand of customers do the switch.

Magicjack needs to come up with a Vonage style router if it plans to gain a huge foothold in this market.

Jim Rojas

JoeRais> HOLD ON THERE BABALOUIE!!! (My best Quickdraw McGraw impression) >

[url=
formatting link
[url=
formatting link
Reply to
Jim Rojas

How is that different than ..... another router?

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.