Moore's Electronics

I have to say that the last couple years I used Moore's to rebuild DVRs (mostly Dedicated Micros) I had more than a couple come back and have to be sent right back again. Maybe it was just bad luck, but it wasn't just once. The last one I sent in for a problem they didn't fix at all. It turned out that somehow the customer was using a power supply that was to small for the unit. Moore's charged a pretty penny to fix it and said they burned it in for several days before sending it back, but within a day it started exhibiting the same symptom. Now you might argue that they couldn't know the customer had a mismatched power supply, but Nick had climbed up my ass over not sending in power supplies with units years previously. I never sent one in again without one the exact power supply that was in use with the unit in the field. It was purely an accident that I happened to have the again failing unit on my work bench along side a good brand new unit and noticed the DEDICATED MICROS power supplies for both units looked different. Rather than have Nick climb up my ass again I bought a correct used power supply off Ebay and gave it my customer for free. The unit has been working fine ever since.

Oh, before I go on... Nick lost the DVR in the paragraph before. He cashed my check, but he lost the DVR. After several phone calls and him blaming me for it some how and saying he was doing me a favor to provide service he finally found it. I wonder if he found the same power supply. LOL. Later he called me back sounding like he was apologizing at first, but then went on to blame me for the problem and berate me again. I finally just had to hang up on him.

So, now that I am out of the business and long since dumped Dedicated Micros and doing DM rebuilds what difference does it make?

Over the years sometimes a customer would just have me get them a new unit when one started flaking out rather than having it rebuilt. If they said I could have the old one I sent it in to Moore's Electronics and had it rebuilt anyway on my own dime. This way I always had loaners if I needed to send a unit in for warranty or even non-warranty repairs. One of the DVRs in my machine shop is one such unit Nick or one of his guys rebuilt many many years ago. To be fair it works great and has for several years. Now with several cameras being diverted to monitor machines I decided I needed a second DVR in service in the shop. Yesterday I pulled down a Moore's Electronics rebuild unit that has not been powered up since I got it back. One of those spares I had done to be a loaner. It randomly locks up. The very exact symptom I sent it in for in the first place. I did finally find a good place for the unit however.

See Image:

formatting link

Like I said, maybe I just had bad luck with Nick and Moore's Electronics over the last few years I did business with them, Maybe Nick just had a bad day that lasted for several years and its all better now, but if I was still servicing video systems I would not send another unit to them after today. Its sad really. When I first started sending units to him every one came back perfect.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Very nice write up. Never heard of Moore's Electronic before now. And now that I have I can easily say I have forgotten all that I have learned.

Actually, I have never used a outside electronics repair shop, except for warrantee repairs by the manufacturer. My feeling has been if it last longer than two weeks it is most likely a good unit. If after a number of years in service it finally dies, it is not worth repairing so it needs to be replaced with new. Depending on the problem or why it crashed, I will then make what repairs I can and place it on the shelf as a spare for future quick loans to keep customer running.

I say again, very nice write up. Good Job!!! And perfect disposition. You get a A+ along with an attaboy.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

't

it and

t

ithout

en

nd him

pologizing

If

oaners

or

great

d to

that

ymptom I

e for

g

units

"DITTO"

No repairs for me either. If it's broke .... don't fix it.

Customers around here don't expect that anything can be repaired. Replace with new is the motto.

Although I will say that I do take pleasure in keeping some of the older al arm system running with parts that I have salvaged from other jobs.

Believe it or not but I have a couple of Ademco 5600 wireless systems still running. Some old Acron dialers. Napco 825, Morse ( I forgot the model #)

As long as I have spare parts and the basic system is good, I keep the ol t imers going.

Reply to
Jim Davis

"DITTO"

No repairs for me either. If it's broke .... don't fix it.

Customers around here don't expect that anything can be repaired. Replace with new is the motto.

Although I will say that I do take pleasure in keeping some of the older alarm system running with parts that I have salvaged from other jobs.

Believe it or not but I have a couple of Ademco 5600 wireless systems still running. Some old Acron dialers. Napco 825, Morse ( I forgot the model #)

As long as I have spare parts and the basic system is good, I keep the ol timers going.

In my defense... and a little bit in Nick's when I first started installing DVRs average cost was around $5K USD, and his cost to completely rebuild one including all new parts averaged $500-700. Now with a Digital Watchdog DVR or NVR or HikVision NVR priced around what Nick charges to rebuild one it no longer makes sense... except that Dedicated MIcros supports multiple communications formats to support other manufacturer's PTZ cameras. Last time I had checked Dedicated Micros had not come down in price to match the market. I just passed the rebuild charge on directly to the customer and added my labor to remove it and reinstall it. I would even show them the invoice.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I was installing cameras during the vidicon tube and VCR days. Some of the cameras took two people on ladders to mount them they were so heavy and awkward to handle . I dropped out of the CCTV business for about 10 years and started re-educating myself about 10/15 years ago when I saw the popularity growing and the advent of better IP cameras and people were installing them at reasonable prices.

I dropped out because there were people installing cameras for the cost of equipment and $100.00 a day labor. I refused to compete with that. It's a lot better now. Around here .... anyway.

Reply to
Jim Davis

I was installing cameras during the vidicon tube and VCR days. Some of the cameras took two people on ladders to mount them they were so heavy and awkward to handle . I dropped out of the CCTV business for about 10 years and started re-educating myself about 10/15 years ago when I saw the popularity growing and the advent of better IP cameras and people were installing them at reasonable prices.

I dropped out because there were people installing cameras for the cost of equipment and $100.00 a day labor. I refused to compete with that. It's a lot better now. Around here .... anyway.

I never really did much residential video where people expect to get Abby, the entire NCIS crime lab, their own surveillance satellite, and Hollywood's fake video enhancements for a dollar-ninety-five. I did do a lot of commercial and industrial work where for the most part customers expected to get what they paid for, and chose to listen when I told them what it would and would not do. I was installing DVRs for many of my customers when most other guys where still selling 24hr VHS VRTs in strip mall shops. Food safety made a huge share of my business for a long time. For many years it was probably 50-60% of my gross.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

P.S. I'm not as old as you. I did install a few vidicon cameras... as a kid working in my parents grocery store, and they were light enough I could lug them around under one arm. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It's always fun when someone expects they can somehow "enhance" like CSI a blurry image to see what the license number of a car was, can't make up for shitty camera placement

Reply to
mleuck

I'm just remembering somthing that happened back then with an old vidicon a nd VCR recorder installation. When VCR's first came out they didn't record all cameras simultaniously but in sequence. And, of course if the area bein g viewed was dark it took a little longer to create each frane

Anyway, I had a big Restaurant three bars where the owner wanted to catch t he bartenders skimming the money from the registers. So I quoted two camera s at each end of each bar looking at the cash registers in the center. Well , neeless to say, it didn't work. The bartenders could skim the cash faster than the VCR could record them doing it. By the time each camera created a frame and between the time one camera created a picture and the next camer a created a picture the money was already gone. We could see the money head toward the register but it just wasn't fast enough to see them palm the bi lls. I had to pull the system out and fortunately was able to use the camer as and VCR at another job. It was a good lesson learned.

Reply to
Jim Davis

I'm just remembering somthing that happened back then with an old vidicon and VCR recorder installation. When VCR's first came out they didn't record all cameras simultaniously but in sequence. And, of course if the area being viewed was dark it took a little longer to create each frane

Anyway, I had a big Restaurant three bars where the owner wanted to catch the bartenders skimming the money from the registers. So I quoted two cameras at each end of each bar looking at the cash registers in the center. Well, neeless to say, it didn't work. The bartenders could skim the cash faster than the VCR could record them doing it. By the time each camera created a frame and between the time one camera created a picture and the next camera created a picture the money was already gone. We could see the money head toward the register but it just wasn't fast enough to see them palm the bills. I had to pull the system out and fortunately was able to use the cameras and VCR at another job. It was a good lesson learned.

Now you throw a couple 3-4 megapixel domes over the key areas and you get every detail. With SD Cards in the cameras it doesn't even do any good to steal the NVR. My how things have changed.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.