looking for UL standards

Can anyone help with the following? 365 - 309 - 636 - 681 - 1076 - 827 Getting ready to take the contractors test and want to brush up.

Reply to
Chris Miller
Loading thread data ...

So what do you need?? Free copies??

Reply to
Frank Olson

UL 365 $445

formatting link
(ULStandards2) "There does not exist a Standard with Standard Number 309"

UL 636 $445

formatting link
(ULStandards2) UL 681 $445 UL
formatting link
(ULStandards2) UL 1076 $445
formatting link
(ULStandards2) UL 827 $445
formatting link
(ULStandards2)

Reply to
Michael Baker

Relax Frank, I would be happy to purchase a copy from anyone. Figured someone might want to recoup some of their $$$$ should of been 609

Reply to
Chris Miller

Do yourself and your wallet a favor, and don't buy standards like 609, 365,

1076, and probably 827. And especially, don't buy 636. Now, 681 is one you should have, as that is an installation standard. 609 and 365 are equipment standards - interesting, but mostly to manufacturers. 827 is a real important standard to have if you are operating a central station, but I doubt it will be on your contractor's test.

UL, in my opinion, has shot itself in the foot by making its standards so expensive that only manufacturers can afford them. I promise you that you are going to feel ripped off when you see what you get for your $445.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Did you know that UL also requires the packaging vendor to be 'certified' in order to print the UL symbol on your box/sleeve/label?

They shot the other foot too!

Reply to
Steve Foley

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Use of any such "mark" should be carefully controlled. I sell, service, and install UL/ULC listed equipment on a daily basis (as do a number of other Dealers that participate here). An installation that's UL/ULC certificated over one exactly the same which isn't, can be an important distinction for both the customer and the vendor/servicing Dealer. Think about it.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

My employer manufactures UL certified items. We do not make our own labels, we have them made to order. This is the label that WE put on OUR UL listed item.

We are not permitted by UL to have our local printer make labels for us. We MUST either make them ourselves, or purchase them from an 'approved' supplier.

The label has absolutely nothing to do with the use of our parts. In fact, the label is discarded before the parts are installed.

How can buying the label from an approved supplier add any value to this? UL approved our parts, not the plastic bag it comes in.

Reply to
Steve Foley

When did UL start to certify anything?

It's possible that they do this to guard their name.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Umm quite a while now

formatting link

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Sort of makes you wonder if Robert ever installed any UL listed equipment. Judging from his response, I don't think so.

Reply to
Frank Olson

How does this guard their name? Our product is UL listed. We pay for that. Now we must pay extra to use a label supplier who has also paid for the privelage of printing the symbol. It's a simple graphic. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't a recent change.

A McDonalds franchise sued McDonalds Corp (It may have been Wendys or BK - I don't really remember) for the right to use any meat supplier they chose, so long as they adhered to the same quality standards. This is nothing more than UL generating an additional revenue stream, and forcing their customers into it.

Reply to
Steve Foley

I was being facetious.

What product? No contention, just curious.

I've experienced some of the eccentricities of UL. My company wrote the download software for the Edwards FireShield series panels. I wrote the help system. The software, including the help system which is packaged with it and the hardware all carry the UL label (though I was not aware that the labels had to be printed by a UL listed printer which, I agree, is ridiculous).

A discussion about UL arose during the development of the system. I wanted to include the hardware manuals in the help system. In my initial submittals they were included but at the time the paper manuals (then only in PDF format) were not yet finalized. It was in that discussion that I realized that the manuals and the software needed UL -- not just the hardware itself.

I read something about that too. I think it was McD's (though I'm not

100%certain either). At any rate, the comment about protecting their name was intended as humor -- not at your expense but theirs.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Went right by me. Didn't even blink.....

It's a part used by gas companies (natural gas - not gasoline). I'd rather not post the trademark or company name. Our insurance company recently reached an obscene settlement in a product liability case where tests showed our part did not fail. You never know when a google search can bite you.

Reply to
Steve Foley

That happens to me now and then, too. :^)

No problem.

The product can be perfect and perfectly safe, yet still be the subject of a huge lawsuit. People blame lawyers for that situation but the truth is that without greedy consumers greedy lawyers wouldn't have work.

True indeed. I've seen some of the IB cite their own posts as proof of their own tripe. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"the truth is that without greedy consumers greedy lawyers wouldn't have work".

In your felony trial Mr. BAss.....you used an attorney. See, not all consumers are greedy...some are felons, like yourself.

"I've seen some of the IB cite their own posts as proof of their own tripe".

You stuck your foot in your mouth again Mr. BAss.....

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

He's probably quite used to the taste. :)

Regards,

Frank

Reply to
FIRETEK

Actually the comment wasn't factual.

Fat Ass hasn't seen his feet or anything else below his belt line, since 1968.

Reply to
Jim

Here we go again. Like a bunch of children!!!

Reply to
Chris Miller

Awww... c'mon, Chris. Bass continues to take swipes at us. I figure it's only fair we take a couple at him too. Where's your sense of "ha-ha"?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.