Is low-priced Internet monitoring reliable?

Yes, thanks for the help!!!!! I have done all the research but admit that I have not yet had the free hours to install the sensors (My wife has me busy with outdoor projects that I need to complete before the weather turns :)

Admittedly, my interest in installing he temp & water sensors has as much to do with my desire to experiment and learn more about alarms as it does with any sudden immediate need for such monitoring. Although it may be hard to believe, I am a DIY more from the fun I get from it than from the money I save -- in fact, economically, I would do better to put more hours into my own business and hire someone experienced to work on my house but then I wouldn't have any fun...

Reply to
blueman
Loading thread data ...

Why do I keep hearing the Billy Squire song "Stroke" in my head???

:-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

OK, skippy. Just my 2 cents. Don't get your undies in a twist. js

Reply to
alarman

He's gotta be a "network engineer". I can smell 'em, I tell ya. js

Reply to
alarman

Yer welcome. I used to live in Little Italy, had to help a fellow NY'er.

I understand about the diy'r. There are some people though that should not diy! You obviously are different.

If ya need help (or parts) lemme know.

Rob

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'm pretty sure my CS is setup for DMP, I;ve never used the internet DMP though. I should set mine up for it, but Im too lazy.

| > These "direct to end user" monitoring services are strictly for those | > who either don't require the services of a dealer (a small minority), | > or those who can service their panel themselves (likely an even smaller | > minority of the alarm buying public). Discount stations make more from | > dealing direct to the end user than they do selling services to the | > dealer (in the telephone industry, we used to call it "cream | > skimming"). For example, I can get ADT monitoring for $3 monthly, or my | > current supplier for $4.50 monthly, or I too can get service from these | > companies for a couple of bucks a month. From my perspective, it | > depends upon what they will do for me...test signals, cancel codes, | > daily trouble and alarm reports etc. ADT are by far and away the worst | > of the lot (no tests, cancel codes or reports and worst...hair trigger | > monitoring which is the source of major false alarms). My current | > station is nothing less than superb in every way on the criteria and | > station support I need to service my customers base! And if I went to | > the el cheapo monitoring stations, I would get basic signals only, | > which might be enough for many dealers and most end users. | >

| > So the discount station sells to you direct for $10 and makes $9 a | > month. If they sell to me, they make $7 or $8 a month, and also have to | > keep a fussy dealer happy with extra support services. | >

| > However, from the perspective of an end user such as yourself, if you | > don't need a dealer, and you don't require service, and you don't mind | > paying a year up front, then by all means use them. In my experience, | > you will experience just as good monitoring as you get from any of the | > major suppliers, but without the need for an onerous long term | > contract. Do ask exactly what they supply for the money they charge you | > though. | >

| > Monitoring is just another service. It IS an important part of your | > alarm service though ! Unfortunately, the alarm industry has tied it | > down contractually for their own benefit such that the end user is at a | > disadvantage most of the time when he goes to get it !! | >

| > However, don't plan on using VoIP in any of its forms for your security | > services just to save a buck. I know some of these outfits sound almost | > too good to be true, but don't try to go too cheap !! It's too "iffy" | > yet in spite of what many will say. Stick with the stations 1-800 lines | > to communicate if you are long distance from them and you won't have | > any reason to be second guessing your decision later on.... | >

| > R.H.Campbell | > Home Security Metal Products | > Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | >

formatting link
| >
formatting link
| >

| | In my situation, I am looking for direct Internet monitoring | (not VOIP) since I already have a network adapter (Icom module) | connected to my DMP panel. | | I assume that your comments about VOIP being a bad solution don't | apply to this setup, right? | | Interestingly, one national web-based company that I contacted | advertised $9/month on their website but wanted $25/month for Internet | monitoring of my panel which didn't make sense to me. The only thing I | could think of is that the DMP Central office interface is nonstandard | for them so they would need to buy/lease/use extra costly | equipment. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I've been very pleased with the Internet module for multiple reasons:

- Contact is faster since it doesn't require dialing and modem handshake (this may not be significant but it is true...)

- You don't lose your regular phone connection when the alarm dials out either during a real emergency, a false alarm, or a test

- You can remotely monitor and change settings on your alarm using something like RemoteLink. I find this very helpful since I am on the road a lot. Also, it makes programming a LOT easier than using the keypad

- Finally and maybe most importantly, if the Internet connection is down the trouble keypads signal a continuous tone and display NETWORK -TBL. Also, the receiver, can be programmed to poll for connectivity every X minutes and to report a failure if no connectivity after Y minutes. This is not really feasible with an ordinary dial-up connection.

Reply to
blueman

But how many dealers can download DMP panels, what if its locked out etc etc

And how many companies can monitor anything from DMP?

No you aren't, but again he's pretty much stuck

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I should by a card for my XR-200 im pretty sure my cs is setup for it...I need to learn that setup anyway. Do you have a glass keypad? They look cool.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

They send CID just fine to any decent receive. I've got about 50 of them on-line. Half are CID on my lines, and half are DMP format on CS lines. Both work just fine.

Ah, there is the rub. Interent connectivity is fairly proprietary, I know Napco's is. Still a decent CS should atleast be considering it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

No, I got my kepads just before the glass ones came out. I did feel badly that I had just missed them but if I recall correctly, the techs I spoke to said I wasn't missing much. I can't remember though why they were having bad experiences with them.

Reply to
blueman

I think there was a prob with the initial release that has since been rectified. They are pricey though...but very cool looking.

| | No, I got my kepads just before the glass ones came out. I did feel | badly that I had just missed them but if I recall correctly, the techs | I spoke to said I wasn't missing much. I can't remember though why | they were having bad experiences with them.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

A hack for what?

| >

| >> I would imagine that similarly on the Central Station side they would | >> only need to set up and assign an account number (along with billing | >> and address details) and perhaps download the panel info for | >> reference. | >

| > And how many companies can monitor anything from DMP? | | They send CID just fine to any decent receive. I've got about 50 of them | on-line. Half are CID on my lines, and half are DMP format on CS lines. | Both work just fine. | | >

| >> Of course, the Central Station would need to physically support DMP | >> panels, including (Internet) network connectivity. | >>

| | Ah, there is the rub. Interent connectivity is fairly proprietary, I know | Napco's is. Still a decent CS should atleast be considering it. | | -- | Bob La Londe | Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River | Fishing Forums & Contests |

formatting link
| | | | -- | Posted via a free Usenet account from
formatting link
|

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Installer code.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It's like this, sure getting it online IS possible but how much do you want to bet that 99% of the installers out there will know jack about DMP? It's just not something people run into every day or even WANT to do with it.

Anytime I get calls on that brand its a changeout, just not worth hassling from a central station point of view

I know, we have a few online as well, again it becomes a question if if its something someone else wants to deal with it

No they shouldn't, its not that anything is wrong with the system it's as always the nature of the company, if you aren't a DMP dealer forget it.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If there is I've not figured it out, or even heard of anyone doing so in the

10+ years I've been using DMP.

| > | >

| > | >> I would imagine that similarly on the Central Station side they would | > | >> only need to set up and assign an account number (along with billing | > | >> and address details) and perhaps download the panel info for | > | >> reference. | > | >

| > | > And how many companies can monitor anything from DMP? | > | | > | They send CID just fine to any decent receive. I've got about 50 of | > them | > | on-line. Half are CID on my lines, and half are DMP format on CS lines. | > | Both work just fine. | > | | > | >

| > | >> Of course, the Central Station would need to physically support DMP | > | >> panels, including (Internet) network connectivity. | > | >>

| > | | > | Ah, there is the rub. Interent connectivity is fairly proprietary, I | > know | > | Napco's is. Still a decent CS should atleast be considering it. | > | | > | -- | > | Bob La Londe | > | Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River | > | Fishing Forums & Contests | > |

formatting link
| > | | > | | > | | > | -- | > | Posted via a free Usenet account from
formatting link
| > | | >

| >

| | | | -- | Posted via a free Usenet account from

formatting link
|

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Interesting... when I was speccing out my alarm, I posted on the group and got the response that DMP is top-of-the-line.

Is the problem you are referencing here just that the system is not that common and/or expensive to support or are you saying that there are intrinsic problems with the DMP system?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Call it exotic.

A lot of guys don't want to make a committment to a product line that requires minimum purchases, factory training, stuff like that. It's great stuff, I've been using it for more than 10 years. And it's not made in China or Mexico.

| > It's like this, sure getting it online IS possible but how much do you want | > to bet that 99% of the installers out there will know jack about DMP? It's | > just not something people run into every day or even WANT to do with it. | >

| > Anytime I get calls on that brand its a changeout, just not worth hassling | > from a central station point of view | | Interesting... when I was speccing out my alarm, I posted on the | group and got the response that DMP is top-of-the-line. | | Is the problem you are referencing here just that the system is not | that common and/or expensive to support or are you saying that there | are intrinsic problems with the DMP system? | | Thanks

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'm sure the equipment is great stuff, I can say in my opinion the middle and low-end models don't match what other brands are out there but the quality is excellent

My problem with the brand is if you aren't a dealer you get nada

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.