Is low-priced Internet monitoring reliable?

We had a pretty high-end DMP XR200 alarm system installed about 18 months ago, including Internet monitoring via the Icom module.

Until now, we have been paying the local company that installed the system about $26/month for monitoring of burgulary sensors and smokes. That charge does not include any equipment/service warrantees or maintenance/inspection agreements. Recently, they raised our price to nearly $30/month.

By comparison, I see companies on the web advertising Internet-based monitoring for $9-10/month or about 1/3 price. They presumably use a national call center to monitor alarms across the country using the power of the Internet to connect it all together, often with redundant networks and call centers.

- Is there any good reason not to go with the cheaper Internet providers? My current provider talks about how they have faster response times (17sec average) and are local but is that really true or important and even if it is does that really justify 3X the price?

(note, I no longer have any contractual obligation to continue with the original provider)

- Is it important to have a local monitoring company or is it irrelevant in the Internet age?

- Any suggestions about whom to recommend and whom to avoid in this space? (either nationally or locally in the Boston area)

- Any hidden catches or gotchas that I should be worried about? (note, I am pretty experienced electrically and do not need someone local for service)

Thanks!

Reply to
blueman
Loading thread data ...

It is likely they are not monitoring DMP Internet modules, if they don't you will be out of luck

Its not a simple task to reprogram the DMP module for another central station

It doesn't matter

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's a pretty hefty increase. I would try negotiating with them. Sooner or later yu will need professional service. js

Reply to
alarman

The gotcha would be if you need service, a company you don't know on the internet will not be able to perform an on-site service call. If you're unhappy with your current company you should look for an authorized DMP dealer in your area, not every alarm co. can service every system out there. And remember, regardless of brand, the company that installed it will know the most about how they installed it...bottom line your service calls will be shorter in the long haul.

$4.00 jump in price is unusual...I'd call them and see how interested they are in keeping your business.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Really? I use RemoteLink and it seems that there are only a few trivial changes that need to be made on the customer side such as changing the account number, the Remote Key, the IP address/telephone number and the port/modem strings.

I would imagine that similarly on the Central Station side they would only need to set up and assign an account number (along with billing and address details) and perhaps download the panel info for reference.

Of course, the Central Station would need to physically support DMP panels, including (Internet) network connectivity.

Am I missing something here?

Reply to
blueman

You should also consider your technical capabilities. I use an internet service, and all three of my false alarms (Teenagers) were handled swiftly as per the contract. I have no complaints, but I have to maintain my own system. All they provided was the basic account and calling parameters and how to program them in, I had to supply them all the Zone info and how they were configured to respond to an alarm, IE silent, delay, etc.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

In my case, I am very familiar with the installation and would have no problem diagnosing and/or replacing broken sensors. I also have the RemoteLink software and have no problem reconfiguring zones etc. (especially with a little help as needed from Usenet friends).

In fact, the reason I discontinued the $200/year charge for warrantee and inspection service is that I figured that I could fix and maintain the system for a fraction of that cost.

Finally, while I know everybody hypes the importance of "safety" and how we shouldn't sacrifice even an iota of personal security by going with a cheaper service, the reality is that we live in a very safe neighborhood and having an alarm is just a nice extra protection that also offers some insurance relief.

Reply to
blueman

I have no problem maintaining my own system. Also, I can easily "print out" our panel zone by zone giving all the information needed. I can even download it all into a spreadsheet. I also regularly download and backup my panel in case it every totally dies and needs to be reloaded.

My only concern is actually false alarms since we seem to all too often make dumb mistakes and set off the alarm (not just our teenagers :) -- so, it is important that they call us (and the rest of the response list) first so as not to trigger unnecessary fines from the police or fire department.

Reply to
blueman

The company I use follows the call list I provided. I think the Police are

3rd on the call list. My city requires a permit for alarm responding, and we are given only three falses in a year, then the permit is suspended and I have to pay a higher cost to reinstate and also a document on what I have done to reduce the false alarms. So far, the alarm company has gotten a hold of us on within the first two tries.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Regularly?

I'm begnning to wonder whether your alarmco isn't just trying to get rid of you. js

Reply to
alarman

I am assuming what you mean by "cheaper" providers are those Central Stations that cater directly to the end user, and not those using VoIP or the internet. The answer is IMO, probably not !

These "direct to end user" monitoring services are strictly for those who either don't require the services of a dealer (a small minority), or those who can service their panel themselves (likely an even smaller minority of the alarm buying public). Discount stations make more from dealing direct to the end user than they do selling services to the dealer (in the telephone industry, we used to call it "cream skimming"). For example, I can get ADT monitoring for $3 monthly, or my current supplier for $4.50 monthly, or I too can get service from these companies for a couple of bucks a month. From my perspective, it depends upon what they will do for me...test signals, cancel codes, daily trouble and alarm reports etc. ADT are by far and away the worst of the lot (no tests, cancel codes or reports and worst...hair trigger monitoring which is the source of major false alarms). My current station is nothing less than superb in every way on the criteria and station support I need to service my customers base! And if I went to the el cheapo monitoring stations, I would get basic signals only, which might be enough for many dealers and most end users.

So the discount station sells to you direct for $10 and makes $9 a month. If they sell to me, they make $7 or $8 a month, and also have to keep a fussy dealer happy with extra support services.

However, from the perspective of an end user such as yourself, if you don't need a dealer, and you don't require service, and you don't mind paying a year up front, then by all means use them. In my experience, you will experience just as good monitoring as you get from any of the major suppliers, but without the need for an onerous long term contract. Do ask exactly what they supply for the money they charge you though.

Monitoring is just another service. It IS an important part of your alarm service though ! Unfortunately, the alarm industry has tied it down contractually for their own benefit such that the end user is at a disadvantage most of the time when he goes to get it !!

However, don't plan on using VoIP in any of its forms for your security services just to save a buck. I know some of these outfits sound almost too good to be true, but don't try to go too cheap !! It's too "iffy" yet in spite of what many will say. Stick with the stations 1-800 lines to communicate if you are long distance from them and you won't have any reason to be second guessing your decision later on....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, > - Is there any good reason not to go with the cheaper Internet providers?

Reply to
tourman

Sorry, my math doesn't add up. If they sell to you, they make $10 less their cost...$9. If they sell to me at $2 or $3, they make only a buck or so....

Damn, havin' these "brain farts" more often these days.....

RHC

tourman wrote:

Reply to
tourman

Regularly as in whenever changes are made (usually just to user codes, infrequently to zones).

Why would backing up my alarm panel make them want to get rid of me?????? The alarmco obviously has no idea on when/whether I ever backup the panel since I do it myself over my internal ethernet. In fact, since I can do almost all changes myself, I surely bother them less than the average clueless homeowner.

Now I do admit that they may be raising my prices since I wised up and discontinued the overpriced warrantee and inspection services so they may be using a price rise as a way to get back more dollars from me.

Reply to
blueman

In my situation, I am looking for direct Internet monitoring (not VOIP) since I already have a network adapter (Icom module) connected to my DMP panel.

I assume that your comments about VOIP being a bad solution don't apply to this setup, right?

Interestingly, one national web-based company that I contacted advertised $9/month on their website but wanted $25/month for Internet monitoring of my panel which didn't make sense to me. The only thing I could think of is that the DMP Central office interface is nonstandard for them so they would need to buy/lease/use extra costly equipment. Any thoughts?

Reply to
blueman

That is my situation - I am plenty capable of servicing my panel myself. I just need monitoring...

Reply to
blueman

They probably don't want you because you are programming your own system, and this poses a liability to them. Just my guess. js

Reply to
alarman

I doubt it. They actually like me because I have been something like a beta tester for their internet functionality. I also got to be quite friendly with some of their techs talking shop and trading technical computer/electronic insights -- their most experienced techs paradoxically perhaps are the ones who are least experienced and comfortable with "new-fangled" computer and Internet functionality. (Plus they are the ones who gave me the software tools to access and program my panel via the Internet.)

Reply to
blueman

ah,,you're the NYC guy then? did the Aux2 zone thing work?

| | In my case, I am very familiar with the installation and would have no | problem diagnosing and/or replacing broken sensors. I also have the | RemoteLink software and have no problem reconfiguring zones | etc. (especially with a little help as needed from Usenet friends). | | In fact, the reason I discontinued the $200/year charge for warrantee | and inspection service is that I figured that I could fix and maintain | the system for a fraction of that cost. | | Finally, while I know everybody hypes the importance of "safety" and | how we shouldn't sacrifice even an iota of personal security by going with a | cheaper service, the reality is that we live in a very safe | neighborhood and having an alarm is just a nice extra protection that | also offers some insurance relief.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I imagine it would be a management decision. The techs have no worries about liability; they are employees. Anyway, as I said, it's just a guess. js

Reply to
alarman

It's an uninformed guess -- everyone got the same raise -- they blamed it on increased cost of fuel, transportation etc.

Plus, I have spoken previously to the president of the company (it is one of the largest companies in New England) and we are on very good terms.

Please, no more guessing or flame bait... the purpose of this thread was to inquire about 3rd party Internet monitoring not question whether or not there may be ulterior motives in the company's price increase.

Reply to
blueman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.