How to get a locked-up Brink's system working, Brink's screwed me

http://208.56.221.39/Invision/index.php?showtopic=830&hl=brinks Stephen

*Posted:
  • Nov
21 2005, 03:34 PM Quote Post

Unregistered

Brink's came out and installed a "free system" as long as I signed a 2 year contract. I even paid $400 in sensor upgrades for this "free system." Well, now i find out that the system is not "free," but is actually theirs. I'm a bit ticked that they took $400 from me to upgrade THEIR SYSTEM. I'm considering small claims court to get that back.

My question now is this: Is there a way I can get the unit unlocked and working as a local alarm without having to call someone out? If not, do I need to replace the keypad and board in order to get it working? If so, can someone give me some recommendations on keypad/boards for an 8 zone environment?

Thanks.

Georgi

*Posted:
  • Nov
21 2005, 06:52 PM Quote Post

Group: Dealer Posts: 200 Member No.: 776 Joined: 10-June 05

Stephen , read the fine print

You may not own the main system and it's components with the exception sof what you have paid for . Going through small claims may get you someplace, typically its more frustrated than dealing direct with the company you are dealing with.

Let's face it , nothing is Free! You got what you paid for and if your backing out now, make sure what you think you own truly is! in writing. These big boys have money and will fight for what they believe is theirs.

As for a system with your points of protection, go for a small system like the Paradox Spectra ( 7 zones and 1 keypad zone), It'll do what you need it to locally and shouldn't hit you too badly in the wallet. Same for DSC systems a Power 832 has 8 zones onboard, one extra at the keypad.

Anyway, good luck and give back the system if you have no holds to it.

PM Email Poster Top

Tx Tech

*Posted:
  • Nov
22 2005, 09:23 PM Quote Post

Unregistered

Stevie, grab your Brinks contract and I want you to read everywhere you had initial some form of statement. Was one of them saying you understand that you do not own the system and it's owned by Brinks? Is your initials on that line? If so, you can forget about any case of ownership.

As for the $400 dollars, they didn't take that to upgrade their system, they took it to upgrade their system to what you wanted above what they were offering with their special. Just like Georgi told you, you got what you paid for. (are there still folks out there falling for that free system line? )

The brinks system uses proprietary programming so if you don't have one of their handheld programmers, you got a bucket of cow slop. Before you replace anything, make sure the contract is over. You stop paying before the end of contract and you'll end up owing them some big bucks. It's all in the contract when you finally decide to read it. If you are over the contract, you will need to replace the control panel, keypads, and maybe the siren depending on if the new system has a driver built in or not.

Just an FYI but alarm contracts are well written (particularly when you are dealing with the big boys) and courts seldom go against anything in them. If it?s in the contract, and you signed that contract, ain?t no matter how hard it is on you, the judge will rule in their favor, (as they should).

Reply to
Jim Rojas
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.