Good wireless home security camera systems?

Hello.

Does anyone know of good wireless (no cabling!) networked home security camera systems that doesn't require a subscription and phone home/another company (e.g., clouds on someone else's servers) and want to record at a big home, hidden. Also, do not want the included wireless routers like Netgear's Arlo. I just want to add to the current network setups and have good security.

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
Ant
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

or

formatting link

or

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE1

There's not much in the wireless realm that is reliable .... which is the reason why professional installers shy away from it. It usually results in too many service calls because of frequent problems. Some DIY'ers are willi ng to attend to it on a constant basis.

You might want to experiment with web cams as an alternative. They are rela tively inexpensive so if it doesn't work out you're not out that much expen se. Other wireless cameras are more expensive but can suffer the same sort of problems.

You're welcome ..... in advance.

Reply to
Jim

Aren't these web cams basically the same like Netgear's Arlo package? So their wireless don't work well? :( I am surprised wireless setups don't work well today. :(

Reply to
Ant

We have /remote/ cameras that are basically wireless.

But it involves a camera, a POE switch and an Ubiquity NanoStation...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

< Obnoxious ascii scribblings snipped. >

I have over the years often had customers come to me and say, "I can get this or that el-cheapo product and its just as good as a 'professional' product," many times. I have often purchased one for evaluation. Tenvis PTZ IP cameras. Early MACE DVRs. Cheap PC DVR cards. Lipstick Cameras. Etc etc etc..... Almost NEVER have they been something I am willing to sell and stand behind. Don't get me wrong. Most of them work to some degree, and I even still have a few in service around my building from when they went up. The problem is I just don't want to have to do a dozen FREE service calls for a guy who was to cheap to buy decent stuff in the first place when it doesn't live up to his expectations. If you want to try it then try it. It might be satisfactory for you, but don't expect me to recommend it and have my name associated with it.

FYI: There are in between offerings, but you will have to buy them and see if they are "good enough" for you. Most of the stuff out there. Even the cheap crap meets its minimum brags initially out of the box. Personally I would suggest you buy from somebody who has a liberal return policy, and test it right out of the box as soon as you get it. Night vision claims are almost always over stated. Basically they seem to rate them indoors in a room with highly IR reflective surfaces and call the range at the maximum range it can see "something." If you are looking for cheap stuff consider all their claims in the same light. Pun intended.

I do have wireless stuff ( Not IP and not cheap ) shooting several miles with years of continuous reliability. I also have a few inexpensive standalone (SD card memory) wireless IP cameras in my shop for testing. They still need to get power from somewhere. JP Morgan shut Tesla down on his free power broadcast through the air a very long time ago. The wifi works ok... but a couple of them seem to need to be power cycled periodically to keep talking to the network. If you want to play and tweak they MIGHT be fine for you, and they might not. Also, range is limited. Inside my 3000 sq ft metal warehouse they work ok, but outside they get ZERO (0) connectivity. Also, atleast one with a PTZ setup seems to drift. The camera doesn't move on its own, but when you call up programmed locations they are a little off from where you programmed them. I've found its easiest to go out and move the camera on its mount to bring them all back in alignment.

Pay your nickle and take your chances.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Only one camera? What about multiple views around a house? Can you please kindly describe yours? Also, are these expensive for a house owner?

Reply to
Ant

IP cameras.

The cameras themselves are wired with ethernet cabling - and the setup I describe is used to shoot the ethernet stream from a remote location to the main receiver (such as individual buildings in a self-storage facility).

Wouldn't be much use within one structure, especially a house.

As for true 'wireless' cameras - I don't know of any pros who use them as part of a security set up.

But there are plenty on the market. Maybe check reviews on Amazon.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

There are a few stores that does like Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, etc.

Yeah, they tend want to want the consumer products that are cheaper that they saw in stores and online.

Are these the battery stand alone cameras with their SD memory cards inside? How well and long do they work? I assume SD memory cards don't hold much like regular HDDs? I wonder if these will be better for my client.

Heh, like many products (e.g., DVRs). :O

FYI, this big house is about 4K sq. ft. I did notice the wireless router's signals are weak in the kitchen and other far away rooms.

None of them move like automatic or manually? That can be annoying. This could be useful on wireless network to see how they look though.

Yeah, we are researching first before buying anything. And yes, be able to return if these products suck. ;)

Reply to
Ant

OK and thanks. I was hoping people had experiences with them in this newsgroup. :)

Reply to
Ant

I have experience "with them" which is why I posted the Google links.

Can you spell PITA??

As was said and repeated go on your own since this newsgroup is frequented by professional installes or business owners.

Take the advice or read between the lines or just roll the dice.

Good luck in your adventure.

Reply to
ABLE1

Already answered. And it's a card so how big of a card did you put in it. That's how big it is.

I have lots of DVRs in service that have only lost their network connectivity when some network "wizzzzzzzzard" redid their network from scratch and was to lazy to do a proper network survey ahead of time. I guess the stuff I do install and stand behind works better than the crap cheap skates keep trying to get us to recommend. Most DVRs I install work flawlessly until they need a rebuild. Usually, many years.

So, you going to do a proper network survey first, and make appropriate network infrastructure recommendations, or are you hoping for a magic bullet? Pun intended or happy accident? You decide.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

For WiFi that covers bigger areas, try one of these.

formatting link

At least you'll have a nice strong signal.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Thank you. :)

Reply to
Ant

I know recording (OTA TV) and downloading videos can be huge on regular HDD on computers. I can't imagine the same with video cameras. Hence why I was thinking of regular old fashion HDDs. :/

Yeah, that is always a pain with any changes even if it they are minor. :(

Well, it is adding to the current home network.

Reply to
Ant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.