Help choosing a home alarm system in British Columbia, Canada

Can someone please suggest a reliable home security company? I am moving into a new home in Burnaby British Columbia and like to look at what's available for home protection.

I am evaluating the following:

ADT Alarmforce Chubb Protectron Voxcom

Any feedback on goods/bads from above list would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peter

Reply to
ppwlee
Loading thread data ...

Take a look around the neighbourhood. What company's signs do you see around? The companies you list are all large "nationals" (which isn't necessarily a "bad thing"). The only one on the list you supplied that I'd tend to "shy" away from is "Alarmfarce". FWIW, their "superior two way voice alarm" just isn't all that "superior". One tip: If you're shopping on "price" I'd suggest you ask all the companies you invite to quote on the same type of system and basic components. That way you're comparing "apples" to "apples".

There are two different types of systems out there. For a more detailed explanation, have a look at

formatting link
Choosing between a "perimeter" and "interior" system depends on what it is you consider important. And don't forget "the basics" (it's also a good idea to "harden" your home's entry points, trim high shrubs or hedges that a perp could hide in, employ motion sensor lights around the outside, etc.). I'd suggest calling a couple of the local companies in your "Yellow Pages". Do your homework. Make sure you ask them to leave a copy of their contract for you to review and don't succumb to sales pressure (not that the good firms use those kinds of tactics). All of the companies in BC are licensed and their staff are as well. Signing any contract (where the rep actually comes to your home) has a mandatory "cooling off" period (where you can cancel the contract without penalty).

Avoid the "low down" systems because they usually carry a stiff monthly "fee" that will cost you more in the long run. Make sure you understand what it is you're signing and that anything the salesman "says" (or "offers") should be backed up in writing.

Is your home pre-wired? This often makes installing a system easier and depending on the quality of the pre-wire you could wind up with an excellent system at a very reasonable cost.

Have a look at some of the features and benefits of the different manufacturer's systems (in most cases you can download the user manuals which may help guide your decision as to what you want:

formatting link
formatting link
Good Luck!

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

I would recommend buying from a company you feel comfortable with.

1. Who comes out and agrees or meets most of your needs without being told?

1. Who analyzes your perimeter and outside yard completely for full assessment of your security needs?

2. Who understands your needs the best?

Don't be afraid to have them all over and let them decide for you.

Be afraid of anyone who quotes you over the phone without a visit.

Additionally I would recommend finding a smaller more local company as you may get a better result from them. Once you have a security system 'anyone' can monitor it (though not all are equal)

Good Luck.

Reply to
Jeruvy

Good post Frank ! I guess the large nationals are more regulated in BC than in Ontario. I wouldn't be quite as charitable in describing ADT locally here in Ontario. However, both Protectron and Voxcom are decent companies, but Alarmforce is a company that I would definately avoid for a variety of reasons that we all know. Chubb I am told is also good, albeit very expensive, along the same lines as ADT.

I've been wondering how things are down here in Florida. The only companies I see are ADT, Westco, APT of Panama City, and one small company called Secure Alarms. I get the impression there are nowhere near as many small "mom and pop" companies in this area.....

One thing I've learned about our industry is that conditions from one area of the country differ markedly from other areas. As such, we've gotta be careful passing judgment on a company based on local experience.....(something that I have to remember....)

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
Robert Campbell

You can also get the company with the best reputation, but one bad or inexperienced installer can give you a lifetime of grief with your alarm system.

Experience counts on such items such as the placement of motion sensors, wireless controls, and the techniques to wire doors and windows into the system.

If you are doing a full blown "wired system", you may have better luck with a smaller company that might not be under as much pressure to shuttle the installers from job to job. Just one opinion here.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

All of the nationals are active in Florida. There are also lots of the notorious "authorized dealer" outfits doing pretty much the same rotten work they do elsewhere.

I've run into a few ADT corporate types and seen their work. It was good. In Sarasota, which is a good distance south of where you are, there are several independent firms selling installed systems. One I know of does awful work and the others re about average.

Several years ago there were three of four large, regional outfits mostly catering to the booming new construction industry. They've been bought up by larger firms and we rarely see anything from what was left of them any more (at least not in Sarasota).

Every so often some moron ADT "authorized dealer" from Bradenton plasters illegal free system come-ons all over our neighborhood. I used to throw them out but a few months ago I decided to call the guy. He tried to pretend that he knew nothing about the offer -- said it was the work of a "new" salesman, etc. I assured him I had no intention of forwarding his illegal offer to the state attorney's office if he didn't repeat it.

Just before I left for Brazil I found another of his ads stuffed in my rural mailbox. I kept it. When I get back I'll make a copy of it and send the original up to Tallahassee. Now that they've finished wasting time on Mugsy's pals' false complaint, perhaps they have time to go after the jerk.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

They already did, but apparently he legged it to Brasil

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Protectron

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Peter:

I have been installing alarm systems for in homes, business, banks, etc for 16 years. The thing that maters most is getting someone qualified. That is an employee (not a sub) who has been doing it for at least 3 years. Choose a well known company so they will come back to service if you need them. If you choose a trunk slammer you will never see them again and no one else will want to service you without an expensive upgrade.

You will need all doors contacted and maybe a motion sensor or two (spend the money on good motion sensors, get dual or quad digital element).

Stephen

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Beats

I started as a trunkslammer 20 years ago and I'm still here.

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Same here. js Slammin' trunks since 1982.

Reply to
alarman

You guys STILL working out of your cars??? I slam the door on my van.... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Yup, Chevy van, lots of doors to slam. js

Reply to
alarman

Why do I think the term "Trunk Slammer" was invented by the Majors???

Reply to
Russell Brill

Reply to
Everywhere Man

You kidding? This is Southern California. We change cars like you change underwear. Well, like most other people change...oh, forget it. js

Reply to
alarman

Not me, a Chevette has no trunk

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I've got 275,000 miles on mine and about the same on the van

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Yes, but you have not yet ass-imilated into our culture. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.