GPS tracking device

Every so often we get one of those calls where the customer is definitely out in the ozone. This morning a lady called asking if we could help her find out who is tracking her. I explained that we're not a detective agency but, out of curiosity, asked what made her believe she's being tracked. She said someone has installed a GPS tracking system in her truck. I asked where the device is. She said it's somewhere inside the dashboard. Suspecting a loony, I asked if she could see the device.

"No, but a light is showing next to the speedometer. It looks like an oil can and it says '15%' next to it."

I explained that's just a reminder to change the oil.

She was adamant, "They're definitely tracking my movement."

I suggested she contact the local police department. Hopefully, they'll refer her to a "professional" who can assist her.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

"No, but a light is showing next to the speedometer. It looks like an oil can and it says '15%' next to it."

I suggested she contact the local police department. Hopefully, they'll refer her to a "professional" who can assist her.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Very funny and reminds me of the following story my Dad told when he came home from work.

Many Many years ago my Dad worked at a Ford Dealership as the new car mechanic. On a particular day a customers car was towed into the shop. The owner said it stopped on the highway and he could not get it started. After some investigation it was determined that the engine was seized up due to no oil in the pan. When asked if the red oil light had come on the customer said;

Well yes, a few weeks ago and I got so tired of looking a it I reached up behind the dash and pulled it out.

Do you think these people are related in some way????

Have a good day and remember that these people are being produced somewhere to put a smile on everybody else face, especially mine.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Per Robert L Bass:

Paranoid psychotic.

I was treasurer of a 1,200 member civic association for some years and my conclusion is that out of a thousand people at least two of them are stone crazy at any given moment - and it's not always the same two....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Under the dashboard thou is where I have installed GPS units. Great place to hide them.

Reminds me of one of my now 302 ed customers who claimed the sattelite dish in her niehbors back yard was being used to bobard here with harmful rays.

Yes there are some real looneys out there.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

I've come to the concluson that everybody's a little bit nutty. It's just that some people are more nutty than others (apologies to George Orwell).

I once said that to my brother and he replied, "Not me. I'm happy, secure and well adjusted."

I asked if he knew the difference between sane and the insane. He said, "No."

"Sane people know." :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" wrote in news:is6dnczFbfD3xvvbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Only the Truly insane are truly convinced of their sanity!

Reply to
Tommy

A few months ago I got a call from someone who said she was a client of ours (actually never heard of her) she wanted us to come out and remove the cameras that someone installed in all her shower heads! Ok, I'm game, besides for 85 bucks an hour...what the heck. My buddy went out and couldn't find any cameras...she said sometimes they're just not there. Then she had my guy go up in the attic to check up there too...of course there was nothing there either. Call us back if they reappear!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

This also applies to assholes. But then you already knew that.

Reply to
Frank Olson

This lady may be slightly paranoid, but it raises an interesting topic: how do you know whether or not someone has attached one to your car? These things are deadly. They are quite sophisticated and very difficult to detect. You'll never know if you are being followed. They are the ideal stalking device, so take note. You won't spot any car following you. But as soon as you park, the stalker won't be far behind. So, does anybody know of a good method of detecting these yokes, without stripping your car to pieces?

J.

Crash Gord> A few months ago I got a call from someone who said she was a client of ours

Reply to
JohnOS

Watch your rear view mirror.

Buy one of those new Volvo's...the one that the alarm system can detect a human heartbeat and blinks an led on your alarm keyfob to warn you of impending doom.

Are you seriously concerned about someone stalking your car?...take the bus and it's greener too.

| >

| > "No, but a light is showing next to the speedometer. | > It looks like an oil can and it says '15%' next to it." | >

| > I explained that's just a reminder to change the oil. | >

| > She was adamant, "They're definitely tracking my | > movement." | >

| > I suggested she contact the local police department. | > Hopefully, they'll refer her to a "professional" who | > can assist her. | >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You could set it the car on fire, or put it to the crusher or even better place a large aluminum shield all around the car, make sure you poke out some holes to see

Not too large tho or the rays will get through and you don't want that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

expanded metal lath works great...you build a giant coccoon to fit over your car...decorate with plastic flowers...kewl.

| > J. | | You could set it the car on fire, or put it to the crusher or even better | place a large aluminum shield all around the car, make sure you poke out | some holes to see | | Not too large tho or the rays will get through and you don't want that | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Read my posting again. Like I said, you won't see anyone following you in your rear view mirror. They could be miles away, just waiting for you to park your car outside your secret lovers appartment, wait for you to return to your car with him/her to go out on a date, snap a few pics, mail them to you, accompanied by a hefty price tag. Get the picture now!! These things are positively scary. This James Bond technology is now available to any asshole who wants to play big brother, at your expense. Once they are in your car (particularly if they are wired into the vehicles electrical system), you are screwed, and you won't even know it. Your choices are to strip the car to bits looking for something that MAY or MAY NOT be present, or ditch the car altogether and get a new one. Hence my question. As there have been no serious responses as to how they can be detected, I assume that nobody here knows - even more reason to be afraid, be very afraid, especially if you are famous, a prison officer etc.

J.

Reply to
JohnOS

Why would you worry about one hidden in your car...when there's already one in every cellphone?

Dunno how well a hidden gps will work to begin with, but given that it probably emits some radiation it should be able to be detected with some gadget.

| > Buy one of those new Volvo's...the one that the alarm system can detect a | > human heartbeat and blinks an led on your alarm keyfob to warn you of | > impending doom. | >

| > Are you seriously concerned about someone stalking your car?...take the bus | > and it's greener too. | >

| >

| >

| > | >

| > | > "No, but a light is showing next to the speedometer. | > | > It looks like an oil can and it says '15%' next to it." | > | >

| > | > I explained that's just a reminder to change the oil. | > | >

| > | > She was adamant, "They're definitely tracking my | > | > movement." | > | >

| > | > I suggested she contact the local police department. | > | > Hopefully, they'll refer her to a "professional" who | > | > can assist her. | > | >

| >

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hmm... not sure I follow (sic!) this one. You have control over your own cellphone, and can switch it off, right? Not so with a hidden tracker.

True. GPS probably won't work too good if it's in the engine compartment where the metal bonnet would probably kill the GPS signal (unless it is coupled with a receiving patch antenna located near the outside world).

True. It would have to emit radiation - but it would be a very short GSM SMS or GPRS burst (just enough to transmit location coordinates, ie. a few bytes of data). Not easy to catch, given the amount of electrosmog prevailing nowadays. And most trackers transmit nothing until the car is actually moving, where electrical noise from the engine can mask it. Also, the trackers can be set to just report stopping positions. So, a tricky one indeed.

Reply to
JohnOS

there's somekind of internal timing cycle that's always happening (if I understand correctly) - i think that can be detected.

| > Dunno how well a hidden gps will work to begin with, but given that it | > probably emits some radiation it should be able to be detected with some | > gadget. | | True. GPS probably won't work too good if it's in the engine compartment | where the metal bonnet would probably kill the GPS signal (unless it is | coupled with a receiving patch antenna located near the outside world). | | True. It would have to emit radiation - but it would be a very short GSM | SMS or GPRS burst (just enough to transmit location coordinates, ie. a | few bytes of data). Not easy to catch, given the amount of electrosmog | prevailing nowadays. And most trackers transmit nothing until the car is | actually moving, where electrical noise from the engine can mask it. | Also, the trackers can be set to just report stopping positions. | So, a tricky one indeed. | | >

| >

| > | > Buy one of those new Volvo's...the one that the alarm system can detect | > a | > | > human heartbeat and blinks an led on your alarm keyfob to warn you of | > | > impending doom. | > | >

| > | > Are you seriously concerned about someone stalking your car?...take the | > bus | > | > and it's greener too. | > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | > | >

| > | > | > "Robert L Bass" wrote in message | > | > | > news:arqdnU6yyecHH_jbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... | > | > | > Every so often we get one of those calls where the | > | > | > customer is definitely out in the ozone. This morning | > | > | > a lady called asking if we could help her find out who | > | > | > is tracking her. I explained that we're not a detective | > | > | > agency but, out of curiosity, asked what made her | > | > | > believe she's being tracked. She said someone has | > | > | > installed a GPS tracking system in her truck. I asked | > | > | > where the device is. She said it's somewhere inside | > | > | > the dashboard. Suspecting a loony, I asked if she | > | > | > could see the device. | > | > | >

| > | > | > "No, but a light is showing next to the speedometer. | > | > | > It looks like an oil can and it says '15%' next to it." | > | > | >

| > | > | > I explained that's just a reminder to change the oil. | > | > | >

| > | > | > She was adamant, "They're definitely tracking my | > | > | > movement." | > | > | >

| > | > | > I suggested she contact the local police department. | > | > | > Hopefully, they'll refer her to a "professional" who | > | > | > can assist her. | > | > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| >

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Too much crack? Not only does every cell phone rat off its location (by law), nearly every cops can get that information right from his patrol car once he has your cell number. Then there is LoJack. Then the are what the Fed guys call bumper beepers. The list goes on and on as far as devices and technology. And you're trying to detect (and probably defeat) only one technology out of how many? If you're really being stocked illegally then set a trap with the help of law enforcement to catch the stocker. If that doesn't suit you move to a state with a concealed carry law, then the stocker will be the worried one when he catches up to you.

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.