A Canadian Invention

A long time and valued subscriber made an unusual request of me today. She asked if I could add a flatulence detector to her existing alarm system. It seems that her elderly husband who stays home while she works, gets bored and parties with a can of beans, broccoli or whatever he gets his hands on and forgets to open the windows before she gets home.

I explained that a flatulence detector, if one existed, could only detect, annunciate and report but could not prevent an unpleasant odorous situation. She acknowledged the fact but said she wanted the central to call and alert her before she got home so she could remotely activate the central air unit.

But that's not the point. While doing a search on fart detection I found out that my favorite toy, the Whoopie cushion, AKA Poo-Poo cushion, was invented in 1950 by employees of the Jem Rubber Co. of Toronto Canada. With this knowledge, I now have greater respect and admiration for our Canadian brothers and sisters.

RW

Reply to
Roger W
Loading thread data ...

fart gas is; nitrogen, hydrogen, carbon dioxide, methane, and oxygen...so in theory I guess you could detect on methane.

CS instructions on alarm;

1- Call premises ask homeowner if they've been eating broccolli and beans again. 2- Call RPs and inform of situation and to steer clear of Premises. 3- Dispatch Homeland Security 4- Remotely trip the Ansul

Of course Sonitrol's response would be different

Would you program that as an audible?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'm not sure. An audibe might scare the old boy into emitting more gas. Keypad sounder would suffice. RW

Reply to
Roger W

formatting link
you can use space-age technology to provide you with early warning of gaseous attacks from friends and relatives. This technologically advanced product actually detects methane gas and issue a loud warning. Perfect gift for the aromatic friend who has everything. $34.99 Out of Stock

Google is your friend: Results 1 - 10 of about 156,000 for fart detector. (0.18 seconds)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks but it has to be U.L. listed and have a form A or C relay.We already know who the culprit is.

Reply to
Roger W

Call up one of the systems guys at ADI, and let them design a system for you. :-)

Maybe they can fix you up with a wireless fart sensor that can be placed in the old guy's diaper.

I wonder if those come in explosion-proof versions?

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Well, if you want to put it in the old boy's diaper, it better be explosion proof. According to his wife he packs a mean walup. I checked ADI and they won't touch this one with a ten foot pole and a latex glove. I wonder if Tri-Ed might want to stick their nose in this.

Reply to
Roger W

"Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message de news: 47ace3e2$0$498$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net...

this alarm is already audible!!

Reply to
Petem

Thanks but it has to be U.L. listed and have a form A or C relay.We already know who the culprit is.

Perhaps not sensitive enough?..

formatting link

Reply to
CWatters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.