Good news for US -- Secure Fence Act of 2006

Reply to
Everywhere Man
Loading thread data ...

I guess if you invariably don't get the joke it seems stupid to you.

I can see why someone with your lop-sided mind would think that.

Makes your brain hurt, eh?

That routine varies between raucously funny and well, borderline amusing..

Alec Baldwin was in prime last week. You should have heard his comments when they were discussing how the Bush administration has treasonously sold out the American soldiers by "out-sourcing" military responsibilities to for profit corporations, primarily Haliburton. By allowing Haliburton's unsupervised and "above the law" sub-contractors to comit atrocities against Iraqi detainees and civilians, Bush has expoesed our troops to more and more attacks. It used to be they shot traitors. Now they give them multi-billion dollar, no-bid, consulting contracts.

God forbid someone tells the truth about what the Republicans have been doing to our country.

Agreed.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Worst of all, his jokes go right over your head.

You admit it.

Indeed. Though Ted Kennedy is almost as amoral as a Republican congressman, at least he only goes after adult women.

I did say "nominated for *anything*". Rush's only claim to fame is his vulgar, hateful, racist drivel. The absolute best is that after years of publicly attacking others for drug abuse he got caught doing the exact same thing. Now we've got Republican congressman and White House spiritual advisors who (have made themselves rich bashing gays) finally being outed as gay drug addicts. I can hardly wait for the day they out Cheney.

Let's see. Someone makes a website and in it he calls someone you don't like a moron. So that proves it? If that argument holds water you're in deep olson. Seems to me a certain brainless jackass from Matawan (not mentioning any names) has attacked you on his hate website more than once. Does that make you an idiot. Wait, stop. Don't answer that.

I've seen hundreds, maybe thousands of website that claim Bush is a low-grade moron. Every time he opens his mouth he confirms it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Actually, chemo makes the skin pale (low red count, presumably). I expected the hair loss but was surprised that it affected places like my back, too. Other than a balding pate, I'm a fairly hirsute guy. The chemo changed all that. They say it comes back after a few months but my wife likes the cueball look so I might just keep it that way. :^)

Reply to
news.comcast.net

For someone who posts some out there stuff and opinions sometimes that is = a great post and a good example of how this country should base it's = decisions.

in the words of another here, "right-click, Save"

Reply to
Tommy

Heck, I'd settle for a *leader* if either party could come up with one who hasn't been bought out by donation-wielding lobbyists. Folks talk about Hillary and Obama. While I like them both, I doubt either one has a chance (could be wrong about that) and I don't hear either of them offering a solution to the problems that the current moron has created.

You got that right.

Monkeys?

I figure if they want to marry it's none of my business. Let them be miserable like everyone else. :^)

As though that would make any difference. Meanwhile the same folks who got all bent out of shape about some rock singer exposing her breast during half-time have no problem at all sending 3,000 young American soldiers to die for *nothing*!

As a Christian, I like seeing Christmas decorations on private property. As an American, I don't want tax dollars spend endorsing or promoting any religion -- even my own. When will Christians learn that by mixing government in therir religion they open the door for government to control religion?

Same here, but I don't claim to have the authority to speak for Him on the matter. Besides, what if I'm wrong? What if God actually made them that way? I'm not saying He did -- only that I can't be 100% sure He didn't. That being the case I figure it's best to let people decide for themselves how they wish to live as long as they're not hurting anyone else.

How about Halle Berry?

Let the church (well, those who are still attending anyway) say, "Amen!"

As a left-leaning, liberal Democrat, I can assure you it's not. We're too busy trying to get rid of Bush to attack "the church." Besides, most of us are church members -- something which really confuses conservatives in the church. :^)

I always wondered where the Easter Bunny stuff came from. Probably some gaelic thing from the thirteenth century or whatever.

Good Lord, man. You're starting to sound like a good Democrat.

It depends on which atheist we're talking about, whose house the homeless guy is sleeping in front of and whether the owl just defecated on the said atheist's windshield.

Bush and his cronies are not interested in our private lives. They only interfere with us because to pander to the hard-line, ultra-right wing religious whackos who vote for them.

Heh, heh, heh.

We still do. On Tuesday we used it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

hasn't been bought out by donation-wielding lobbyists.

one has a chance (could be wrong about that) and I don't

has created. > We're stuck in a process where billions of dollars are spent trying to

miserable like everyone else. :^) > We have radicals fighting over what should

all bent out of shape about some rock singer exposing

American soldiers to die for *nothing*! > of Christmas mangers and Easter Eggs.

an American, I don't want tax dollars spend endorsing

mixing government in therir religion they open the

matter. Besides, what if I'm wrong? What if God

100% sure He didn't. That being the case I figure it's

they're not hurting anyone else. > to waste my money fighting over that when

busy trying to get rid of Bush to attack "the church."

conservatives in the church. :^) > I'd bet money if we interviewed Jesus he'd

gaelic thing from the thirteenth century or whatever. > I'd also imagine Jesus wouldn't be too

is sleeping in front of and whether the owl just

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Maher: "Homosexual liaisons, underaged boys, alcohol abuse... It's getting so you can't tell Protestant ministers from Catholic priests."

Not me. I couldn't care less about Janet's booby. My kids both saw naked breasts at a very young age. They seem to have survived without becoming particularly deranged.

Reality: Nudity doesn't cause kids to suffer psychological problems. Violence does cause all kinds of problems. If kids saw less violence and more naked boobies, maybe there'd be less kids like that Malvo maniac.

Well, I guess we disagree on this one. I don't equate nudity with vulgarity, which they can get more than enoough of right here in ASA. As to learning about sex online, that's a real problem. For one thing, what they leasrn online is rarely about natural, normal sex. Second, there are so many online predators that kids looking for information or even just looking for a cyber-friend are very likely to be approached by some middle-aged pervert.

The only real solution to online dangers is for parents to take responsibility for what their children have access to. It's a serious mistake to try to get the government to regulate content. Besides, every time we allow government to take control they spend their efforts "regulating" those who oppose them rather that trying to protect anyone.

True, but it never would have happened if Bush and Dick "chainsaw" Cheney hadn't lied.

Yep! Unfortunately, Bush didn't have the nerve to really use our might. That is also why the troops have never gotten the support they needed -- what the general asked for from the start -- a massive troop deployment, backed up by real fire power. The idea of the USA losing a war to some 3rd world, stone-age country like Iraq is absurd.

Nope. He expeosed the truth about Bush lies. He did the same thing to the NRA and its poster child for Alzheimers. Following is an open letter from Moore. Interestingly, he voices some of the same things you have been saying.

===

November 8th, 2006

Friends,

You did it! We did it! The impossible has happened: A majority of Americans have soundly and forcefully removed Bush's party from control of the House of Representatives and the Republicans have also, miraculously, been tossed out of running our United States Senate. This was done because the American people wanted to make two things crystal clear: End this war, and stop Mr. Bush from doing any more damage to this country we love. That is what this election was about. Nothing else. Just that. And it's a message that has sent shock waves throughout Washington -- and a note of hope around this troubled world.

Now the real work begins. Unless we stay on top of these Democrats to do the right thing, they will do what they've always done: Screw it up. Big Time. They helped Bush start this war, and now they should make amends.

But let's take a day to rejoice and revel in a rare victory for our side -- the side that doesn't believe in unprovoked invasions of other countries. This is your day, my friends. You have worked hard for it. I can't tell you how proud I am to count all of you as part of the greater American mainstream we now occupy. Thank you for all the time you gave this week to get out the vote. Some of you have been at this since the large demonstrations of February 2003 when we tried to stop the war before it started. Only 10-20% of the country agreed with us at that time. Remember how lonely that was? Some people were even booed! Now, 60% of the country agrees with our position. They are us and we are them. What a nice, strange, hopeful feeling.

A woman, for the first time in our history, will be Speaker of the House. The attempt to ban all abortion in the conservative state of South Dakota was defeated. Laws to raise the minimum wage were passed. Democrats were elected to fill Tom DeLay's and Mark Foley's seats. Detroit's John Conyers, Jr. is going to be the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. The Democratic governor of Michigan beat the CEO from Amway. The little township next to where I live in Michigan voted Democratic for the first time since... ever. And on and on and on. The good news will continue throughout today. Let's enjoy it. Savor it. And use it to get Congress to finally listen to the majority.

If you want to do one thing today, send an email or a letter to both of your senators and your member of Congress and tell them, in no uncertain terms, what this election means: End the war -- and don't let George W. Bush get away with any more of his bright ideas.

Congratulations, again! Now let's go find a spine for the Dems to do the job we've sent them there to do.

Yours in victory (for once!),

Michael Moore snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

formatting link

===

Let the church say, Amen!

True.

Yep.

I was kidding, but she's certainly better looking than any part od Dennis Franz. Side note: I like his acting.

Fake Christians and sexual predators hiding under the mantle of the priesthood do more harm to the church than any outsiders ever could. In fact, the church thrives best under pressure. Christ even said that we should expect to be attacked by unbelievers. Paul said to "beware when all men speak good of you."

Specifics, please

Actually, most schools still allow teachers to *explain* the Bible as well as the Koran. What they can't do is promolgate belief in either.

I've never heard Glover's political beliefs so I can't comment on that.

That's not fair, Tom. Whatever Glover may believe, Moore is a patriot. He exposed White House lies to try to steer this country back on course.

Were those "free" molds with a 3-year egg-painting contract?

Sorry, but I missed that one. What is that about? It can't have been anywhere near as expensive as the bridge to nowhere up in Alaska.

:^)

Just wait another two years.

Naah. He doesn't have the guts. Don't forget... he was the coward who went AWOL for a year rather than fuilfill his military duties. He was also a draft dodger. Kerry, OTOH, signed up for two tours in Viet Nam and won awards for valor. Bush's Swiftboat Vets for Bullshit" managed to get people to believe trheir lies even though their own candidate was the coward.

Not necessarily. Give them a chance. We've already seen the terrible damage the Republican party did.

It's Cooper. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In July 2000 the ACLU supported a movement to remove a schoolboard ban on Wiccan religious expression. In June 2002 the N. Carolina ACLU went to court to support the mandatory reading by UNC freshmen a pro-Islam book and portions of the Quran. Can you imagine the response if UNC had assigned students readings form the Old Testament? In July 2005 the ACLU, who had been fighting to remove the tax exempt status of Christian Churches comes out in support of such status for Satanic Churches. In August 2006 the ACLU supported the rights of a Wiccan Priestess to pay at Richmond Public Board Meetings. Earlier this week the ACLU fought to force the federal government to allow Wiccan Religious symbols on headstones in federal cemetaries.

formatting link

Reply to
Everywhere Man

David Flanigan, author of the cited website, has a nasty habit of distorting the facts to suit his crusade. For example, a news story about Jackson, MS said the following:

"Jackson residents learned more about their rights during a Community Crime Summit. The American Civil Liberties Union of Mississippi held its second town meeting at the Eudora Welty Library. In video presentations, residents learned how to react when stopped by police, their responsibilities as citizens and about the Cop Watch Program, which monitors the actions of law officers. The organization says Jackson needs better trained police officers. They say residents feel abused by officers and locked out of the decision making process. Nsombi Lambright of the ACLU of Mississippi said, 'In the city they feel like government is out of control and that people are not representing their best interests and they feel like there's just a general lack of accountability.' Residents also discussed establishing a civilian review board to monitor citizen complaints and police conduct."

Flanigan's take on the story: "So the ACLU sees the Crime Summit as a way to train people on how best to avoid arrest, make the job of law enforcement more difficult, and initiate a program to make sure the police are not (gasp!) enforcing the law."

Most thinking folks would call that a deliberate distortion by Flanigan.

This is another distortion. In fact, a student in Richlands sued because the school forbade him from wearing a Wiccan symbol on his clothing. School boards cannot endorse religion nor they cannot forbid students from expressing their faith. The Constitution, as amended, doesn't just forbid government from establishing religion. It basically says that the government must keep its hands off of religion. In this case the school board wrongly denied the student his freedom of religious expression. The ACLU supported the student and well they should. The irony of it is that the student is not a Wiccan. He just wanted to exercise his freedom and

*that* is what the Constitution is all about -- freedom. "RICHLANDS - This little Southwest Virginia mountain town sure doesn't look like a hotbed of Wiccans. But a Richlands High School student, who says he is not a Wiccan, has enlisted the aid of the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia in his fight to display a Wiccan symbol on his clothing at school." -- wire service story.

I'm not certain but ISTR this was a course in philosophy or comparative theology. It would be quite common for the reading list of such a course to include segments of the Koran, the Bible and other religious treatises.

Wasn't there a little issue there of certain churches using the pulpit to promote a certain political party? If that was the case here, I agree that they are no longer churches but political agancies. As such their tax exemption is subject to revocation under existing US law. It's part of the Internal Revenue Code.

Typo? I assume you meant pray. Here's the real case and the priestess was right. The county was opening meetings with Christian prayer, contrary to the Constitution and federal law. She initially won but the county appealed and, in the meantime modified it's policies to comply with the law.

"On October 11, 2005 the Associated Press reported, "The Supreme Court rejected an appeal on Tuesday from a Wiccan priestess angry that local leaders would not let her open their sessions with a prayer. Instead, clergy from more traditional religions were invited to pray at governmental meetings in Chesterfield County, Va., a suburb of Richmond. Lawyers for Cynthia Simpson had told justices in a filing that most of the invocations are led by Christians. Simpson said she wanted to offer a generalized prayer to the 'creator of the universe'... Simpson sued and initially won before a federal judge who said the county's policy was unconstitutional because it stated a preference for a set of religious beliefs. Simpson lost at the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which found that the county had changed its policy and directed clerics to avoid invoking the name of Jesus... The county's attorney, Steven Micas, said that the county's practice was in line with the Supreme Court's endorsement of legislative prayer as long as it did not proselytize, advance or disparage a particular religion." (October 11, 2005, The Washington Post/AP, Online)"

Flanigan got that one wrong, too. Here's the real story:

"State says Nevada soldier's plaque can include Wiccan symbol By SCOTT SONNER

ASSOCIATED PRESS RENO, Nev. (AP) - The widow of a Nevada soldier killed in Afghanistan a year ago won state approval Wednesday to place a Wiccan religious symbol on his memorial plaque, something the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has refused to do. "I'm just in shock," Roberta Stewart said from her home in Fernley, about 30 miles east of Reno. "I'm honored and ecstatic. I've been waiting a year for this," she told The Associated Press. Sgt. Patrick Stewart, 34, was killed in Afghanistan last Sept. 25 when the Nevada Army National Guard helicopter he was in was shot down. He was a follower of the Wiccan religion, which the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs does not recognize and therefore prohibits on veterans' headstones in national cemeteries. The new development came Wednesday when state veterans officials said they had received a legal opinion from the Nevada Attorney General's Office that concluded federal officials have no authority over state veterans' cemeteries. As a result, they intend to have a contractor construct a plaque with the Wiccan pentacle - a circle around a five-pointed star - to be added to the Veterans' Memorial Wall in Fernley."

Tom, we probably agree on more things than not. But on this one we disagree. The ACLU is not a boogeyman trying to fight the Christian church. They will fight for any individual's freedom of expression, regardless of his faith. They will also fight against any attempt by the government to endorse or assist one faith over another. It is essential to our continued freedom of religion, as well as the right of those who don't believe to freedon *from* religion, that they carry on this fight. While as Christians some folks might like for the government to promote Christianity, they have to accept the fact that not all Americans are Christian and that our rights as Christians are no more important than the rights of Muslims, Wiccans, Buddhists and atheists. If the government can sponsor Christianity this year, they can also decide to sponsor satanism next year. I don't want them behind the altar of my church any more than I want them in my bedroom. I suspect neither do you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The ACLU is not a boogeyman trying to fight the

regardless of his faith. They will also fight

Reply to
Everywhere Man

disagree. The ACLU is not a boogeyman trying to fight the

expression, regardless of his faith. They will also fight

I think you may be wrong on that.

I do believe that their origins were socialist and they are now being run by gay rights activists.

Reply to
Jim

NAMBLA? I didn't know what that was. At first I thought that was a religious group because I heard they go around on their kness saying Ahhh...men! Next I understood it to be a bisexual support group because of the MB thing. You know, the "I am bisexual, I like men or boys." NAMBLA doesn't need the ACLU, they need a big batch of Jim Jones special Kool Aid for their next meeting.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Reply to
Everywhere Man

This is an interesting case. The ACLU routinely takes on cases where they believe that a First Amendment right is in jeopardy. According to news reports about the case:

"The ACLU believes NAMBLA is being unconstitutionally 'sued for their ideas.' According to court documents from the ACLU, the case raises 'profoundly important questions under the First Amendment,' because NAMBLA is not being sued for making any particular statements, but simply for creating an 'environment' that encourages sexual abuse."

In their view the evidence presented by the plaintiff family does not condone or promote any illegal acts but promotes changing the law. While I disagree with their ideas, I can understand why the ACLU would defend their right to express them.

They are not defending the perps in the crime. They are defending an organisation's right to freedom of expression. While what that organisation expresses is beyond offensive, they still have a constitutional right to say it.

They looked out for the rights of people who were persecuted by our own government for expressing then unpopular views against the Vietnam war. The would defend your right to freedom of expression, too.

I don't think so. It's just that in order to defend the Constitution one sometimes must hold one's nose at the people whose rights are being violated.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Funny how lately so many of the worst gay bashers have been turning out to be gay themselves.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The snipped post was not a copy of an email to the OP. It was copied from a trade magazine.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

trade magazine.

So?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Wrong. It was a copy of an e-mail that i received.

Reply to
Tommy

The exact same story was printed in one of the major trade mags.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.