gone independent, need sources

hello, some of you may remember me as a brinks home security dealer. without going on an anti-brinks tirade, ill just say that i left the brinks program (prior to the name change) when their business structure no longer matched my own.

my focus is primarily on physical security, but i do not want to get out of electronic security all-together. i am seeking a real online distributor from which to obtain quality alarm components. all i have found online i can find cheaper on ebay and would prefer an actual distributor with a good reputation and fair pricing.

in addition, despite the simplicity for various reasons i have always avoided wireless systems. i have an opportunity to install 25 all wireless systems for a local builder. specs call for a controller, keypad, door/window sensors, motion detectors, and glass break detectors in all downstairs rooms. i need recommendations on available brands/types, the benefits/limitations of each, and a source from which to order them. also, are there still wireless components that plug into 115v outlets?

thanks much.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier
Loading thread data ...

Is this a serious question?

Reply to
Effenpig1

absolutely. i have qualified that i have avoided wireless installs.and am therefore out of date with what is currently available. i can remember back in the 80s there was a wireless system available that utilized glass break sensors that you simply plugged into any wall outlet thus eliminating the need for batteries (other than the built-in backup battery). i _want_ to say it was called "watchdog" systems but i cannot be certain because it has been so long. i have not used ANY wireless equipment other than BHS so i am not familiar with what is available today. thank you,

-- Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

yup he's a Brinks guy!

Reply to
mleuck

before you continue to make an ignorant ass of yourself, perhaps you should do a little research on older alarm technology.

Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

It's not that I question the existence of this equipment, it's the fact that it never was, and never will be, something to be considered actual "security" equipment.

I think you would be doing yourself, and especially your potential client, a great disservice by accepting this type of work until you have gained some experience in the field. You might want to consider a tech position with a security company that utilizes modern wireless equipment in order to learn the ropes. I am not trying to be rude, it's just a suggestion, but your question itself shows an general lack of knowledge in the area of wireless technology.

Seriously, to ask for a information on what is available, and details about wireless equipment, so you can secure a bid for 25 systems using equipment you are unfamiliar with? This has the makings of a bad situation written all over it.

I would hope you would take what I have written as genuine advice from someone who has seen the results of such undertakings, and not just someone trying to "flame" you. Accepting a 25 system job using equipment you are not familiar with is NOT getting your new venture off on the right foot. Sorry.

Reply to
Effenpig1

agreed. this is why i have avoided wireless systems this long. that said, im not venturing into a new field i am simply adding wireless by request of a very good customer. i have made my best effort to sell him on letting us hardwire these systems but its not negotiable. i have worked with adding receivers and transmitters to existing panels (for adding keyfobs) i have simply preferred to hardware all sensors. any input on equipment would truly be appreciated.

thanks,

-- Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nathan:

Tried, and ADI sell to dealers "on line". There are a number of other alarm distributors that offer online ordering and account tracking. I think these are your best choices.

Good luck with your new venture!

Reply to
Frank Olson

many thanks frank. its been awhile, im glad to see there are still a few of the old timers (in regards to length of participation in asa) still around!

-- Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

ge

Do yourself an even bigger favor and walk away from this home builder. Home Builders are notorious for not paying there subs. Especially if these are spec homes I have seen too many contractors ruined by home builders who stiffed them. unless you get at 2/3 up front forget it.

Reply to
nick markowitz

That's very true. Most of the time those "opportunities" turn out to be nothing but a waste. Whatever you choose, welcome back and good luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And why would a builder request wireless ........... anyway?

Reply to
Jim

hello, this particular builder also owns several dozen commercial properties that we maintain (my primary business is

formatting link
for a gross average of around $75,000 a year. he has remained loyal for several years even when we bid higher on capital equipment projects (i have never tried to be the cheapest game in town, only the best game in town) and always pays his bill without trying to haggle on every job like some i have worked for in the past. payment is a non-issue. that said, because he has been such a good customer it is important that i sell him quality systems. while i still do not like wireless he has made it clear that going wireless is non-neogtiable and if im going with wireless anyway at the very least i want to use _good_ wireless components.

all this in mind, any equipment recommendations you could make would be sincerely appreciated.

thanks,

-- Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

thank you, sir. glad to see your health iimproving.

Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

ITI has good wireless systems.

I have worked extensively with First Alert branded Ademco/Honeywell equipment and have not had too many issues. Biggest problem I've seen is that repeaters cannot be daisy-chained like the ITI stuff.

I'm also curious as to why the builder INSISTS on wireless.

Around here it's usually an attempt at an end-around permits as the inspectors don't see the wiring during the rough-in inspections and trim out only occurs after occupancy has been granted. Then again, here only the fire equipment and wiring gets inspected.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

many thanks. from where do you prefer to purchase both?

i am not aware of his reasons as i didnt push him for more after he stated it was non-negotiable. were he not such a dependable customer in my primary business i would most likely walk away from the job because of my prejudices against wireless systems.

thanks again,

-- Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I use the Honeywell wireless products on just about all apartment, and condo installs. Don't count on any discounts from ADI. I buy all my alarm products on the web for 50-75 percent less.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Rojas" Newsgroups: alt.security.alarms Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:56 PM Subject: Re: gone independent, need sources

thank you for the information. can you share your sources for this equipment? thanks again,

-- Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

There you go then, just use the equipment you already have experience with adding keyfobs and receiver to. Modern wireless is great, although I always prefer wired motions over wireless.

Reply to
Effenpig1

sage

Did a Home Builder beat you as a child or something?

Reply to
Effenpig1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.