recommendations: infrared illuminators - 850nm - up to 100 feet

I recently purchased an IQVision IQ853 D&N security camera (Infrared range is 850-940 nm). I was told that 850nm works well with this camera.

I'm looking for a lightweight, outdoor, quality infrared illuminator that I can use for my home.

I don't want anything that is bulky, heavy, or cheap. I don't need the light to go beyond 80 to 100 feet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which device to purchase? And where to purchase it from?

Reply to
Ojas
Loading thread data ...

You can get most everything you'd want at either of these two places:

Supercircuits.com or Scdlink.com

Reply to
Jim

ExtremeCCTV makes reliable, mid- to high-power Infrared illuminators. There are various models ranging from a few feet to over one kilometer. The smallest unit that will cover at least a 100 ft stretch is the UF100. There's a model UF100.403 that's with a 60º beam spread. It has an effective range of

77 ft. Alternatively, you could use a UF100.303 which has a 30º spread and a 115 ft range. These are just two examples. There are lots more to choose from.

Since I sell ExtremeCCTV online I'm probably a bit biased in their favor.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sorry, I forgot to include the URL.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

formatting link
dude check this out first

formatting link

Reply to
Bob

Please note that Robert Bass sells equipment on line. His entire motivation for being here, in a professional installers discussion group is to sell parts to people like you who come here to ask questions. Extreme TV if not THE most expensive CCTV mfg rates among the highest. Guess why he recommends their parts and that he sells them. Aside from his selfish and unwanted presence here, he hasn't installed anything for coming up on ten years now and hasn't a clue as to what is good or bad in the industry. He only knows what he sells and that's why he recommends it. Add to that, that he's a convicted felon and thus the reason he sells parts on line rather than installs them and that he has been the cause of disruption in this and in other groups for years. Someone else has posted the website so that you can check his Better business bureau record. I'd recommend that you do that also.

I hope would give you cause to consider going elsewhere for any parts that you may need. He has a terrible reputation in Usenet.

Reply to
Jim

We installed cameras in a new jail built two years ago. Used Extreme EX36 cameras for the cells. Were they cheap? Absolutely not. Did we get what we paid for? When provincial government leaders are drooling over the quality of the images you can feel pretty good about the job you did. Extreme cameras are fairly expensive. No denying that. They also make some of the most respected and useful extreme condition cameras in the world. There's a reason that the movie and television industry almost exclusively uses their equipment for night vision and low-light stuff.

Whether or not I agree with you regarding Robert is secondary. Just don't belittle the parts because you don't like the salesman. For Joe homeowner they are probably way beyond what anyone would ever need. But I have never installed an Extreme camera or IR (which I have done a few times) in a commercial or industrial environment where I have had a complaint. Just so you know. And if you check out their website, look at the WizKid line. Much less expensive and the quality is almost as good.

Reply to
firewaterfan

That is true. I made that clear in my response to the OP.

That is not true. I post for two reasons -- because I enjoy it and because I make my living online.

They are expensive. They're also one of the best, perhaps the absolute best quality manufacturers of night vision cameras. They actually have cameras capable of reading a license plate on a vehicle traviling 100 mph. The gentleman asked for "high end" equipment rather than "homeowner" quality. That's why I suggested ExtremeCCTV.

I sell them for the same reason I sell ARM Electronics (inexpensive line), Pelco and more than 40 other brands. Each is appropriate for certain jobs.

Unwanted by a few folks who hate competition from online sales, yes.

That is also untrue. I do free installations for friends and family members. I also take manufacturer training at ISC, CEDIA and ADI Expos to keep abreast of new developments. It's not rocket science, though. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a bit of patience can do the work.

I sell components and systems from over 300 manufacturers. I guess that means Jim think I have a broad-based knowledge of security, CCTV, fire alarm and home automation systems. :^)

That's partly true and partly false. I had an assault conviction 30 years ago. That didn't stop me from earning and keeping an alarm contractor license for 20 years. I built a small central station alarm company in Connecticut, designed, sold and installed alarms, CCTV systems and whatnot for many years. I asked the Ct state board about it and the assault conviction was deemed irrelavent to my business. The previous poster apparently disagrees with the state of Ct.

Hmm. This was a polite discussion until Jim joined in. Who is being disruptive?

This poster (Jim) has an interesting reputation. He has filled this newsgroup with vile, unprovoked attacks for years. That is unfortunate.

industry almost exclusively uses their equipment for night vision and low-light stuff.

I sell ExtremeCCTV to several branches of US military and numerous government agencies including LANL, ORNL, etc.

The WZ12L illuminator is part of the WIZ series but I don't think it will do an 80-100' stretch.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I try to stay out of the fray here, but every once in a while I have to step in.

Extreme does have a reputation for some of the best extreme environment cameras and illuminators. However, when I consulted with them on a job a few years back they way over engineered the job. Screwed up shipping, stuck me for customs charges over and above the prices I was quoted delivered, blatantly refused to make good on defective (out of the box) product, stuck me with extra product above what I ordered, and basically made life difficult for me.

All that being said. The product that was not defective has been in service for almost seven years without a callback.

I have dealt with ExtremeCCTV one time. The experience from a business stand point was pretty horrible. I might buy an item they make again if there was no other alternative product, but I am of the screw me "once" train of thought, and I have a long memory. They didn't make my, "When Hell freezes over," list, but they are on my only when all other options are expended list.

My personal one time anecdotal experience not with standing most on this group have extolled their virtues.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'm really surprised to hear that. I've been buying and selling ExtremeCCTV for many years and have not had problems with them. Most of their cameras are made to order though and are either non-returnable or subject to a restock fee. When they quote us on a product I always ask for estimated shipping costs.

I don't recall ever getting anything bad out of the box from Extreme but I've occasionally sent things in for service without any major hassles. We did have a client order the wrong camera from them once (client's error). They were willing to take it back for a fee but the client decided to order another camera and use the original one for another location. That was nice for us since these were high end license plate cameras.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

LOL. In my case it was high end infrarred illuminators. I finally threw them away a when I moved into my new office a couple years ago.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

not. =EF=BF=BDDid we

Just exactly WHERE did you see me say anything that was belittling about the product?

Reply to
Jim

Just exactly WHERE did you see me say anything that was belittling about the product?

interesting how bAss and his sock puppets have to twist others words to try to make a point.

Reply to
Bob

You live in a world of your own, don't you? You are sooooo full of shit.

Reply to
alarman

Not at all. I share it with pleasant folks such as yourself.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

This is also perplexing, Bob. I have never been billed for customs charges on any ExtremeCCTV products. Maybe it's built into the price I pay for the products though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Ah... You must be from BC. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Don't lower yourself Man . Let this muppet say what he likes. I used to get pissed of on this N.g. After my heart attack I just don't give a shit.

You are getting better I hope, but stay calm Man it just not worth it . At the end of the day we all have skeletons in a cupboard. Some just are not big enough to admit them.

Now lets talk alarms and shit.

I will start,

how is the price of gas at your end? We are being robbed.

£1.11 FOR PETROL AND £1.21 FOR DIESEL.

I did drive a 4x4 but now I walk.

Kind Regards

Micky.

Reply to
Micky Savage

Robert's fighting it, but it doesn't look good. His cancer's back.

Maybe we should leave the "shit" out and just "talk alarms". :-)

We're at $1.39CDN (for regular) per litre. You'll have to prise my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel of my Lincoln Navigator (forget walking).

Reply to
Frank Olson

I've told you before. Ignoring Bass just won't work.

Shortly it'll be a lot easier to do.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.