from slashdot - VoIP and Home Security Systems Don't Get Along

FYI...

VoIP and Home Security Systems Don't Get Along from the your-door-wants-you-to-stop-calling dept. posted by samzenpus on Wednesday February 14, @19:56 (The Internet)

formatting link
Best regards,

Mike

-- Michael B. Baker, SET Michael Baker & Associates, Inc. PO Box 737 Gladstone, OR USA 97027 (503) 657-8888 (503) 654-1014 fax

formatting link

Reply to
mbbaker
Loading thread data ...

Much of the discussion of VoIP and security systems here has emphasized how to keep customers form selecting VoIP or how to get them back online when the system fails. The problem is VoIP isn't going away. It's not on;y here to stay. It will likely become the most common medium of land-line based telephone communication within a few years. According to at least one news report (sorry, I don't recall the source), some telephone companies are already sending long- distance services via VoIP. Because VoIP is significantly less expensive and more efficient to operate than traditional POTS service, it is inevitable that VoIP or some derivative of it will supplant POTS.

A few alarm companies are doing something about it. ADT, always adept at turning problems into profit centers, offers a cheap to install but expensive long-term cellular option. A number of other alarm companies do the same.

Napco Security offers TCP/IP (Internet) monitoring.

formatting link
Honeywell Security (nee: Ademco) offers Alarmnet-I
formatting link
We've had a number of DIY customers who have selected Internet monitoring service. However, relatively few DIY customers are interested in monitoring service at all. Some live in areas where police response is so slow that the service is not attractive enough to merit the cost. Others have had bad experiences (slow response or inept service) with alarm monitoring companies in the past. Others are simply unconvinced of the value of the service.

I take a neutral stance on monitoring. If the customer wants the service I provide the system and refer him to one of several monitoring firms that I know of which are willing to work with DIYers. If, like most, he doesn't want monitoring, I help him select a local alarm system that is appropriate for his needs.

Whether you offer monitoring service or not, whether you offer DIY or full-service alarm installation, it's important to realize that VoIP is inevitable. The question is not how can you keep customers from selecting it but what hardware and media solutions can you off so that you can continue servicing the client's security needs.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

since Frank had you shut down, and FL passed the new [anti] "bass law", eh?

Reply to
FLalarmNews

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.