Foiling ??

I'm not looking for extra income, but I need something to do with my time. Somethings talked about here I never had to deal with like foiling a plate when the temp. was cold and humid. Here in summer you put down a strip of glue & water, and in 30 seconds it's dry. Time to use varnish, It's makes for better job. But I think a foil job looks much better when you use water or glue and water only. JMO :)

Reply to
bigolebill
Loading thread data ...

I've never heard of using glue on foil before. I guess it would work though. You mention "here in Summer." Where is "here?"

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=EF=BF=BDIt was a lot

=BF=BDThey weren't in

ll never go back to

That's the excuse that all you "older" installers make.

Reply to
Jim

I pulled wire for a year and a half, in attics and crawl spaces! I never put a knee or foot through a ceiling(?) Ever!

Reply to
bigolebill

Eh? What's that you say, sonny?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I did wired systems for 24 years. I only did it once. It was painful *and* embarrassing. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

When I talked about using glue to install foil. I used mucilage glue and water.

1/4 part glue and 3/4 parts water. then I used the head off a rubber spatula, to remove any excess glue & water. Then covered it with varnish.
Reply to
bigolebill

I'm not faulting you. It sounds like a good idea though I never saw it done that way.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

There were people that I knew who used that method but I always thought that after the job aged, that remnants of the glue stayed under the foil and turned white after awhile. We always used the "thin" varnish and then the "thick" varnish.

I remember that the point of discussion and argument was always how one did his corners. Some left the "tab" exposed. I always "buried" the tab. And then of course there were opportunities to show off and do "indented" corners and the epitome was being able to foil a round piece of glass or do "round" corners or an oval on a shop door. I did a couple, but not as good as some of the guys could. There were some real "artists" back then. Towards the end of the foil era, in what had been a male dominated trade, companys were hiring women, just to do foil. They were pretty good at it.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.