Fire Alarm Signal Xmission

I have a commercial customer for whom we installed a fire alarm system. System uses a DACT to xmit to a recieving station (system is not UL listed). When we installed it was connected to 2 POTS lines. A while back, they switched to TDS and are using there Xdata system (basically a T-1 with 1/2 dedicated to data and 1/2 dedicatd to 7 voice lines). They have the system on the standard 48vdv UPS system.

I have looked over NFPA and I'm not sure this arrangement is kopesetic. Does this arrangenet qualify as "PBX"? Does it fall under the "other technologies" criteria? System must be capable of operating 24/5 with AC power loss, battaries changed within 5 years of manufacture for the fire system, but all that means squat if that UPS for the phone system isn't maintained. Who is responsible for that?

Forgive me, if this is an easy question. I am from the Chicago land area and we still use RP (reverse polarity, for the youngsters around here) for the majority of our systems. Why live in the 21st cent when you can live happily in the early part of the 20th).

thks, Bill

Reply to
jewellfish
Loading thread data ...

For safety sake the t1 channel bank should have the required 24-60 hors battery back up you would follow if it was thru a pbx the nfpa codes have not caught up to modern communication techniques.

Also note be careful to check and make sure your format is transmitting Ok many times you need to switch to contact id or SIA as 3/1 and 4/2 formats will not always transmit correctly thru a channel bank i have had this problem especially with choice one service

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

why take the chance of going through a channel bank, just have the client buy a pots line for the primary...or ask the people who installed the channel bank to add you as additional insured to their liability insurance.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.