Filing Cabinets That Use Electronic Access?

Yea, you are right. I spend to much time figuring out a certain project for someone who then decides it is going to cost too much or some other reason not to go forward. They never seem to consider the time that I spent getting to that point. Lately I have been throwing a written agreement at them for T&M or some minimum charge for me to see what falls out of my brain. People just either don't have a clue or any consideration for those that really know how to put together what it takes to go from a idea to final product. With your posting as well as Jim's it would seem that there are some of use out here that can put together what "W" wants. My only hope it that we have not given him too much input for FREE.

And to "W" if you can't find someone locally to do this project then you haven't looked hard enough. We are out there. We just deserve to be compensated for what we know as well as what we do. Due to the nature of what you desire the first will be the most expensive. After that each additional will be less expensive. Depending upon the your final design criteria the final cost may or may not prohibitive. It depends on the ROI that you desire. As before you could do nothing at all and save a lot of dollars. The again sharing the dollars to get what you want will certainly help the economy. Not that it needs it or any thing.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

I'll agree with most of what you say but least it not be said at all ..... I'll add this:

I don't think that making this device would be a very big project. Mostly off the shelf items put together as a means to an end. THAT's the easy part. Making it a marketable/profitable product is the tough, expensive part. How much is it going to cost to get engineering drawings, a business attorney for getting confidentiallity agreements signed with all who work on it. Application for a patent. A patent attorney and expediter, marketing consultant, sales means and methods.

Minimum a few hundred thousand dollars, in an attempt to make sure it was going to fly, which probably means outside investors. Otherwise the minimum is to just apply for a patent and spend years of trying to do all of the rest yourself. Trying to get a start up manufacturing company to a point that it is profitable, without outside money, is a VERY difficult thing to do.

Reply to
Jim

I'll agree with most of what you say but least it not be said at all ..... I'll add this:

I don't think that making this device would be a very big project. Mostly off the shelf items put together as a means to an end. THAT's the easy part. Making it a marketable/profitable product is the tough, expensive part. How much is it going to cost to get engineering drawings, a business attorney for getting confidentiallity agreements signed with all who work on it. Application for a patent. A patent attorney and expediter, marketing consultant, sales means and methods.

Minimum a few hundred thousand dollars, in an attempt to make sure it was going to fly, which probably means outside investors. Otherwise the minimum is to just apply for a patent and spend years of trying to do all of the rest yourself. Trying to get a start up manufacturing company to a point that it is profitable, without outside money, is a VERY difficult thing to do.

Yes that may all be true. However, if I was asked to get involved with doing the project it would only be of interest to me for the quantity that "W" might want. Yes, having some legal documents signed would be necessary but not to the degree you suggest. It would simply be a agreement that covers cost, payments, etc. If the project went well it could be packaged as a retrofit that a 10th grader could follow and could be installed on 'W's' property. But I may be looking too far ahead.

As for the patent part of your suggestion, since my intent would be to not even think about it this would be a non issue. Again it is not a concern. I know what is involved and it is just too big and expensive to go forward with. It would be easier to approach the manufacture and get them to evaluate and pay a fee for the simple rights. As I see it they don't feel there is a serious market for the adaptation to make a profit. In other word no demand (other than 'W' that is).

Life goes on.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.