ESL 1500 transformer

Hello all,

I have an ESL 1500 5 zone FACP missing a transformer. It would appear the previous installer removed it. The previous installer, an electrician lost his alarm guy so its now on me to install. My knowledge base is with Fire-Lite and Notifier this is probably my third time dealing with one and my first installing one. I am unsure if the transformer comes pre-installed or not I do not see anything about installing it in the manual so my guess ?? is that it was installed at the time of delivery but removed at one point but that is just speculation.

Does anyone have an old can laying around with a transformer in it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Reply to
Jake
Loading thread data ...

that puppy hooks straight to AC doesn't it?

Reply to
Bob

I think I remember that there was a 24V and a 120VAC model. You should make sure which one you have first.

Why not just call ESL? If the installation is to code, you're going to need the transformer that the panel was approved with...... anyway.

Reply to
Jim

I never installed an ESL-1500 but I've serviced a few and IIRC they come with an open-field transformer pre-mounted inside the can. Unfortunately, the spec sheet doesn't mention the transformer value since it's not anticipated that you'd need to replace one. If no one comes up with the spec for you call and I'll get it from GE for you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

GE still supports this product. A replacement transformer is available with the proper connector for the circuit board. Contact your local distributor to obtain one. Do you have the installation manual???

Reply to
Frank Olson

You know I had not even thought to check. I picked up the annual service inspection on an ESL1500 last year because another company had told the owner that it was a no-longer supported panel. I just downloaded the manuals from Jim's Site.

Of course the first thing I noticed was that they had two 4ah batteries in it, and when I did a battery calculation it barely made the 24+5. Figure if the batteries are more than a month old capacity has started to fade... I swapped in a couple 7AH batteries.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi

The manual shows a replacement part number if 1500-TR. I could order one with no problem but I am doing this install as a favor on the side and I don't want to charge them for a transformer that should have been there in the first place.. Which is why I was hoping someone had a spare or used one just to get this system online.

For those that know this panel.. I assume all transformers would be the same output voltage to the panel correct? I cant imagine there would be any other output that 24.

Thanks

Reply to
Jake

They put 4AH batteries in a fire panel? Good grief!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You'd be amazed. We recently took over a building with an Edwards (GE) verified fire alarm system. The main lobby panel drew 1.3 Amps in supervisory. The batteries Edwards supplied were 7 AH. It's an EST-3 with full EVAC. The building's 21 stories. The amplifier cabinets had

48 AH batteries, but a fat lot of good they were going to do when the common control would die after about 5 hours.

On another building we were called in to consult on, one of the biggest names in the fire prevention industry (in our area) replaced all the smoke detectors with System Sensor 1400A's. They're not even cross-listed to the the Edwards 6500 (the common control in this particular building). "Certified Technicians" too. Right!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Great planning. :^)

How long ago was that?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's not the word for it. It's down right criminal. In Vancouver a fire alarm EVAC system (in what they term a "tall building" - over 11 stories) has to be able to supervise for 24 hours and then operate for two hours. The batteries in the amplifier cabinet were barely adequate.

I'll have to pull the file when I get to the office later this morning. I do recall seeing several inspection tags (from previous companies) that had "cleared" the system. The company that called me in on the consultation red tagged it.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.