Low cost alarm

Yes, Virginia, there are actually people who cannot afford "another bill" for a monitored alarm system. As strange as it may seem, there are people who are living from paycheck to paycheck but who want to have some sort of security besides insurance.

I'd rather have something I can afford that makes a really loud noise and alerts me and my neighbors of an intrusion, than have nothing at all.

Reply to
Nicko
Loading thread data ...

so true, I see those folks everyday..

RTS

Reply to
Rockytsquirrel

The problem is still the cost of the equipment. and unfortunately you get what you pay for. Whats your idea of low cost - total number. are we protecting whole house or part are we doing just perimeter or perimeter and interior. each answer vary s the cost. You could find low cost components online wire it your self etc and still plan on spending $300-500 minimum and your on your own putting it in. You could build your own panel etc. but if it does not shut off properly etc now you have code enforcement issues. In this business there is no cookie cutter system. Those company's who try it are not really doing there customers any favors.

Reply to
nick markowitz

RHC: With something that only makes a noise, that's exactly what you will have..."nothing at all".

Reply to
tourman

And if you have a monitored system, you will get...what? The smugness of knowing that someone will eventually respond to an alarm. How much injury/property damage/theft can occur in the minutes it might take someone to respond to your alarm?

Trap guns are a wise and inexpensive addition to any amateur alarm system. Anyone can pick up a handful of SNSs for a hundred bucks or so, and rig them up themselves. And they make noise!

The downside is, you might occasionally have to remove a burglar's corpse from your window or doorway.

Reply to
Nicko

Nah - you only gotta do it once. After that... well... jail cells don't need much.

Apparently you are looking for the smugness of coming home to find your stuff gone and your little noisemakers smashed - must be why you want the cheap ones...

Get a panel that does x10 control and set it up to pop on some interior lights and your perimeter flood lights.

I live paycheck to paycheck also. Buy the components as you can afford them. It may take a while but at least the piece of mind you're getting will have SOME basis in reality. The noisemakers you are talking about aren't worth much unless you're home and want to be awakened if someone breaks in.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

The noisemakers you are talking about

And what exactly is wrong with that?

OBTW, what is "piece of mind"?

Reply to
Nicko

Nothing, as far as it goes. Does little to nothing if you're not home. At least with x10 controlled flood lights you have a bit more deterrent as most b&e boys are more afraid of light than sound.

That I'm less likely to be broken into than the unprotected homes in the neighborhood.

Much more with a monitored system as I know if my home is violated I will get a call from the alarm company and the police are on the way. With integrated smoke detectors, not only do I know I'll be alerted if there's a fire while I'm sleeping, if I'm not home I know the fire department will be dispatched while most of the structure is still salvageable. By adding carbon monoxide protection I know that, in the event I and my family are overcome (though generally we'll be alerted before that stage) EMS will respond before any lives are lost. Further, the addition of dihydrogen monoxide detection in the utility areas will alert me if my well pump or water heater springs a leak and any damage will be minimized.

For what you are looking for this would suffice:

formatting link
Or you can monitor it this way:

formatting link
Better to get a few hidden nanny cams - at least that way you can give the video to the police... unless they steal that too...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I have customers who self monitor and they know chance they are taking but there not in a typical area you would worry. It calls pager cell phone what ever. and makes noise. One customer missed the call and yea they broke in and caused damage but luckily a neighbor heard the noise and scared them off and called

911.. He has now switched to monitored with a cell back up. He was in a safe neighborhood too. Noise will sometimes scare a burglar off many times it will not depends if some one is living right next door or there's distance. people hear sirens noises gunshots etc. and ignore it all the time. So take what ever you think is appropriate way to do it and do it. But never cry about your decision . Byway I am a stage 4 cancer survivor on SSI working part time know exact boat your in . Had to have expensive truck repairs in march and knew they where coming up stuck a little away each pay so i could keep truck on road otherwise nick no work. have other stuff coming up will need to save barter or what ever shame on me if i do not plan for it.
Reply to
nick markowitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.