Looking for a color multiplexer or sequencer with PIP

I had a strange demand today,and my normal distributor cant help me...

i have a site with 7 video source,6 are cameras in 3 different building,one is a kind of community tv channel...

they are all in color

the customer want to take the output of a sequencer,and broadcast it over chanel 78 CATV,that side if fine and already done...

but now he want to add the 6 security cam in a PIP over the community channel in sequence,so that he can provide to his tennant,the view of the cam so they can see who is at the door..

anyone can help?

thanks

Reply to
Petem
Loading thread data ...

I am not sure, but I think PIP is a function of the TV or monitor itself. If the TV doesn't support PIP, you'd have to inject it elsewhere and send it as a single image to the TV. You could do that with BVIP encoders and set a salvo in VIDOS on a screen segment and then send it back to a channel plus unit. There might be a simpler purpose built item to do what you want but I have never seen it.

Reply to
Roland Moore

My first thought is that any basic multiplexer, even a 4-channel simplex type, or maybe even a some quad boxes, will give you a usable PIP display: take the output of your sequencer with the security cameras, run it into one input of the MUX, then run the community channel into a second input on the MUX, set the MUX to display the community channel with the sequencer's feed in the PIP window, and feed the MUX's output to the cable modulator.

That might be overkill, but it's a soluti> I am not sure, but I think PIP is a function of the TV or monitor itself. If

Reply to
Matt Ion

How much degraded signal would you get that way. It sounds like he is using upper channels so what about tilt or impedance mismatch altering the quality on the community channel?

Reply to
Roland

This sucker looks like it would do it- but at $9K it's probably overkill.

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

oh.. the link:

formatting link

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

As I said, any basic four-channel MUX will let you do the PIP part... the trick is in running the other six cameras in sequence WITHIN the PIP window. Appears that this one MIGHT do that (the "Dual PIP Mode" description is somewhat marketing-blather-heavy, technical-info-light), but the rest of the features are EXTREME overkill.

Then again, when you can do nice transitions between camera views... ;)

Reply to
Matt Ion

I'd think degradation would be minimal... normal signal flow would be camera -> modulator, or camera -> MUX/switcher -> modulator... at worst this is camera -> switcher -> MUX -> modulator. Considering they're showing what I assume to be only "infomercial"-type content on the main screen, and no doubt relatively cheap security cameras in the PIP, I don't think it would be an issue.

Matching/stabilizing the signal might be an issue, but there you're getting way beyond my level of expertise.

Of course, the other solution would just be a second modulator: put the community feed on one high-band channel, the switched cameras on another.

Personally, I think having the six switching cameras is an even bigger nightmare if you want the tenants to be able to view any or all of them as "who's at the door" shots... "Uh, you'll have to wait a few seconds before I can let you in, the cameras have to cycle through until I can see you..." Six cameras on, say, a 3-second dwell, if you JUST miss the one you need, it's another 15-16 seconds before it comes around again. "Yeah, I know it's a torrential downpour out there, just gimme another 10 seconds..."

We looked at an install for one highly-wired, gen-x-populated condo tower once - since they wanted a DVR anyway, we suggested jacking it into the building's planned internet provision for all the tenants, and set up a web client that would let any tenants using the building's internet feed, to select any of the public cameras they'd want to view at any given time. Never did hear back from them, dunno what they ended up doing...

Reply to
Matt Ion

I agree using 2 MUX'es is a simpler soulution, the first MUX will be set on single picture output rotating the images (6 cam input) - that output fed into an input on the second MUX.

The second MUX will have the "community channel" as one input, and the rotating 6 pictures from the first MUX as the second input. Then the primary output of the second MUX (setup for PIP), goes to the Channel Vision modulator. Seems kinda hokey, but it might just work.

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

Reply to
Roland

you know what..I found what I was looking for..

Genex from pelco..the mx4016cd..

do all I was looking for

and the worst...I knew it!

a service technician told me that had set-up a genex like that for a customer 3 years ago,one main camera on the main entrance and the 15 other cam in the pip in sequence...

I think I need vacation..

"Matt I>> Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

Reply to
Petem

I misunderstood what you were looking for. I thought you meant there was a community channel of non security video. Something like a bulletin board along with other types of video feeds. Maybe a product like this:

formatting link
thought you were talking about taking a high end (channel number) Cable Channel type feed, converted to a monitor feed, through a MUX and back to a Cable Channel feed with PIP.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Reply to
Matt Ion

we will not supply the community channel hardware..they will produce there stuff,we will only interface the video of the camera to the community channel transmission,

the genex will do a fine job,we already took one and showed it to the customer,we connected an output from a cable box to input 1 then feeded 2 camera to the other in put and made them show in sequence in a pip spot and the sales is done...

thanks all for the input..

"Roland Moore" a écrit dans le message de news:

460b41eb$0$1336$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...
Reply to
Petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.