Check out how this comcast installer ran wiring

formatting link
Wonder if he worked for some well known alarm companys who do shit work like this before going to work for comcast

Reply to
NickMark
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

this before going to work for comcast

Protection One installers come to mind...

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335 813-440-6653 Fax Email: snipped-for-privacy@tech-man.com AOL: rojas813 MSN: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Yahoo: jimrojas ICQ: 20116219 GoogleTalk: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Reply to
Jim Rojas

ike this =A0before going to work for comcast

why does the link come up 'forbidden' ??

Reply to
Robert Macy

f he worked for some well known alarm companys who do shit work like this = =A0before going to work for comcast why does the link come up 'forbidden' ?= ?

Because you'll go blind if you look at it.

Reply to
Jim

formatting link
> >

Wonder if he worked for some well known alarm companys who do shit work like this before going to work for comcast why does the link come up 'forbidden' ??

You'll also grow hair on your palms.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

4:49 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote: >> On Sep 27, 4:48 am, NickMark wrote: >
formatting link
> > Wonder if he worked for some well known alarm comp= anys who do shit work like this before going to work for comcast why does t= he link come up 'forbidden' ?? > > Because you'll go blind if you look at i= t. > You'll also grow hair on your palms.

But ..... but ..... I already have ...... ummmm nevermind.

Reply to
Jim

formatting link

this before going to work for comcast

At least he ran straight lines...

Had a dentist's office whose IT contractor had stapled a blue wire in a meandering fashion along a white ceiling.

When he got to a door, he just stapled down the wall and through the open door - which can't be closed without pinching the cable.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

companys who do shit work like this before going to work for comcast > At = least he ran straight lines... Had a dentist's office whose IT contractor h= ad stapled a blue wire in a meandering fashion along a white ceiling. When = he got to a door, he just stapled down the wall and through the open door -= which can't be closed without pinching the cable.

PICKY PICKY!

Reply to
Jim

I hired a young guy recently to help me remodel my house. He nailed in a vertical 2 x 4 for a window frame which was 1 inch further to the left at the bottom, than the top (not plumb - slanting).

I pointed this out to him and he said "What's the problem?" I said it is going to look like hell after the drywall was up. He then proceeded to argue with me that "Things are done this way these days, etc. Everybody does work like that!"

I said "Not in my house they don't". (I got more work done without his "help" because I did not have to redo his work.)

Reply to
Bill

a > meandering fashion along a white ceiling. > > When he got to a door, h= e just stapled down the wall and through the > open door - which can't be c= losed without pinching the cable. > I hired a young guy recently to help me= remodel my house. He nailed in a vertical 2 x 4 for a window frame which w= as 1 inch further to the left at the bottom, than the top (not plumb - slan= ting). I pointed this out to him and he said "What's the problem?" I said i= t is going to look like hell after the drywall was up. He then proceeded to= argue with me that "Things are done this way these days, etc. Everybody do= es work like that!" I said "Not in my house they don't". (I got more work d= one without his "help" because I did not have to redo his work.)

Years ago I met an installer who's philosophy was: "It's OK to do a sloppy = installation because you can fix it up later when you get called back for s= ervice calls."=20

He was very smug about it too. Like he had discovered the secret to success= . =20 I was speechless. What could someone actually say in response to this? To b= e polite ...."Keep up the good work"? "Gee, I'll have to try that"? Or ...= .. at the risk of having to spend hours explaining it ...... "You DO know= the differ between right and wrong ..... smart and stupid .... Don't you"= ?

Reply to
Jim

Sounds like a tweaker.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Back in the 1970's the owner of an alarm company in the Boston area who did 99% commercial work, was recommended to put an alarm system in a nice home. With staple gun and 18/2 brown twisted, he brought up the wires from the basement, through holes he drilled in the hardwood floor at the bottom of the baseboard, stapled up the face of the baseboard, onto the wallpapered wall, and on to the sill of the window and attached a gray #39 Ademco surface-mounted switch and magnet.

After coming home at the end of the day to see the installers horrid handywork, the homewoner complained about the exposed brown wires stapled over his expensive wallpaper. To which the installer replied, "It's okay. When you wallpaper again, just run the wallpaper over the wires!"

Referred by some>> >>> > > Had a dentist's office whose IT contractor had stapled a blue wire in

Reply to
chasbo

surprising the kid didn't use the "It's more stable in an earthquake" ploy.

Reply to
Robert Macy

On Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:16:07 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: Years ago I met an installer who's philosophy was: "It's OK to do a sloppy= > installation because you can fix it up later when you get called back fo= r > service calls." > > He was very smug about it too. Like he had discover= ed the secret to > success. > > I was speechless. What could someone actual= ly say in response to this? To > be polite ...."Keep up the good work"? "Ge= e, I'll have to try that"? Or > ..... at the risk of having to spend hours = explaining it ...... "You DO > know the differ between right and wrong ....= . smart and stupid .... Don't > you"?=20

Sounds like a tweaker.

Jeeeeze I just figured out what Twitter is. Now you're telling me there'= s something called Tweaker?

O God ...... how do you keep up with all this new techie stuff?? (sigh)

Reply to
Jim

There's also the "there's a lot more give when the building settles" explanation.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Unfortunately, tweakers have been around since long before the Internet, and they will probably be stealing from the last people working to survive in the final days of man.

Q: Do you know the difference between a tweaker and a junkie? A: They will both steal your stuff, but the tweaker will hang around to help you look for it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

LOL - you've reminded me of my first wall when I was finishing my basement. Actually the first wall I had ever tried and I was determined to finish my basement myself.

I read up on it...

I marked the top plate and base plate with marks every 16".

I then nailed the studs onto the top plate with my marks lined up on the left side of the stud. I turned around and nailed the studs to the base plate with the marks lined up on the left side of the stud.

Yeah... it was dumb and it took me a while to figure what the hell didn't look right.

But, difference is, I didn't try to justify leaving it as it was and did it over - this time making them straight...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

FYI - Measuring "On Center" (O.C.)...

16? On Center
formatting link
And... The loose end of a tape measure is intentional. See "The Hook is Supposed to be Loose"
formatting link
Reply to
Bill

As the OP said, "16in on center."

I once had a prewire on a house that was framed that way. The entire house. It was a concrete block wall house, furred out on the inside, and every wall except the furring nailed to the blocks was framed crooked. My installer shimmed the boxes for keypads and other stuff so keypads would come out straight. It was funny as hell when we were accused of putting all our stuff in crooked by the contractor, because it didn't match all the crooked switches and crooked outlets. I handed him a stud finder and a level and told him to take his pick. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've come across that before. I just mounted the KP 1/2 way between level and the light switch plate, looked okay.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.