ELK-Guard wireless GSM alarm system

Among the interesting products on display at the EHExpo in Orlando this week was ELK Products' ELK-Guard wireless GSM security system. The system operates stand-alone without electrical power for up to 3 months before needing to be recharged. It can be useful for construction sites and vacation homes, boats moored in a harbor, etc.

The ELK-Guard stand-alone, wireless alarm system is intended for homes without land lines, construction trailers, boats & marinas, apartments and dorm rooms. The system operates up to 3 months without power. ELK-Guard's 124 dB on-board siren is one of the loudest available. Auxiliary sirens and strobes can also be connected. The system supports up to 24 sensors to detect opening of windows & doors and motion detectors for interior coverage. The built-in GSM Cellular Reporter can contact you by cell phone or transmit signals to a professional monitoring facility.

ELK Products built a separate website for the ELK-Guard. Here's the URL:

formatting link
Because the ELK-Guard is a stand-alone unit it is subject to the same weakness as other systems of the type

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Maybe I'll buy one to back up my "Laser Sheild"

:

formatting link

And See Habla Espaknoll

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
Roger W

It's a rebranded Ness SafeGuard System III, the system then and wireless sensors were junk and it's suprising after all you've said about all-in-one systems that you'd be selling it

And you got the url wrong but that isn't suprising

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's right. ELK said that it was developed by an Austraiian firm. I didn't ask which one but I'm sure you're right.

I can't imagine using these as primary protection for a completed residence (big, ugly and not as secure as a conventional system). However, for constructions sites / trailers, moored boats, etc., they do provide a means of offering monitored protection. I can see companies installing them and prewiring for the main system, then removing the ELK Guard when the job is finished.

Another use is for families / businesses that have just suffered a loss. We've all had to deal with competitors who offer totally inadequate protection at inflated prices but can sometimes win the sale because they offered

*immediate* protection. A salesman could bring one of these, a few door contacts and motion detectors with him, sell the client a full-blown, professional system and offer to install temporary protection on the spot as a stop-gap until the team can be scheduled for a proper job. In that situation the control could even be pre-programmed with a kit consisting of two or three motion detectors, a couple of smokes and a dozen or so door/window contacts. Install the main unit in a secure closet, lick'n'stick the wireless transmitters, hand the client a pair of wireless keyfobs and they're covered until the installation is finished. Once they're up and running pull the temporary system out and it's ready for the next new customer. Even if you never sell one you can use it to sell a hundred proper systems that might otherwise go to a competitor.

Again, it's not an earth shattering product. But it can be a very useful tool.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I can spell. I just can't tpye. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Robert,

Since you seem to have a little extra insight on this unit. Please answer if you can the following questions. It is easier to ask than it is to read all the docs to determine the answers.

1) Do the wireless transmitters have proper supervision??

2) Can the unit be Downloaded remotely in anyway??

3) Can the unit be Downloaded on site in anyway??

Thanks in advance.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Interesting, in one paragraph you can't imagine using this as primary protection and the next it appears you can

I doubt you've even seen or played with one

Reply to
Mark Leuck

It's not "surprising" at all considering who's "pushing" it ("Anything-For-A-Buck-Bass"). He sells several "all-in-one" packages that he's often labeled "junk" in this newsgroup. To top it all off, he's completely unfamiliar with much of the stuff he sells. He wasn't even aware you could purchase additional keypads for the Lynx and PowerMax (until his assertion was "corrected" in the group). ISTR he once stated that people who order equipment that he considers "junk" are emailed helpful "alternative suggestions" probably because he can't obtain the product through distribution (most security distributors will only sell to licensed dealers).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yes, yes & yes.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And you figure Bass has "time on his hands". :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Oh, hardy-har-har! A battery-powered 124dB siren? And it lasts "up to" 3 months without power?

The first false alarm will probably wipe out the battery. Unless it has that new five-second siren shutoff timer.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

That may be true in the rest of the known universe, but here on this spot on planet earth things are a bit different. As a practical matter a distributor located in the US has no legal right to refuse to sell most items. Some do place signs that say "Wholesale Only", but that is for show. A distributor can charge a different price to a certain type of customer if he choses, but mention the word lawyer and the deal gets done. ADI, SGI, Tri-Ed sell to unlicensed dealers, sound contractors, school districts, grocery chains, and nearly anyone in Mexico. The list really goes on forever. If you have the cash, the rest doesn't matter. They generally don't want business off the streeet because they don't want to have to spend resources supporting it. Most times they have enough trouble just answering the phone before 40 rings and getting parts orders straight. And returns? It maybe a decade or two before the parts come back from repair.

Reply to
Roland Moore

As usual, you're wrong. But then, that never stopped you from posting before.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

1) The transmitters in my opinion were junk but they were supervised

2) Assuming they haven't changed the software you can download the dialer but it was very poorly-written software AND after a certain amount of time the dialer locked itself out permanently, I would hazard a guess that you can't download it via GSM

3) If you can still do #2 then #3 is yes

4)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

By "junk" do you mean that the:

a) transmission range is poor b) the Plastic Case is made of inferior materials c) the circuit board components are of lesser quality d) all of the above e) other

????????

Reply to
ABLE_1

b and c

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I can't speak for the products manufactured in Australia. TTBOMK Elk makes the transmitters and receivers. Whatever NESS may have done in Australia, ELK Products has an excellent reputation for quality. They also give better support than most manufacturers in the security industry.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Elk may have an excellent reputation however one can't say the same thing about Ness who actually makes the stuff

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.