Camcorder as video source for 24x7 monitoring?

Greetings.

I need to videotape activity (vandalism) some 200 feet away, 24x7, for about two months, from two camera positions. Standard mini-DV camcorders with 20x zoom lenses would provide the best image, but I wonder if I'm asking for trouble - has anyone tested the duty-cycle on such camcorders?

Would there be a more practical way to obtain a 10-20x zoom setting on a security camera?

Reply to
Jeff Sutter
Loading thread data ...

As long as the camcorders remain indoors, that should be fine for that short time period. Make sure you keep the viewing screen closed or shut off, to reduce wear. Use the composite RCA output into 2 seperate TV's with DVR's and you are good to go.

BTW, unless the area is brightly lit at night, your recording will be very poor.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

"mini-DV camcorders would provide the best image" Compared to what? A high resolution CCD camera and a lens with correct focal length should do what you need much better than a camcorder.

How wide is the shot that you are looking to monitor? Since you know the distance, you simply must know the width and height of the scene to determine the proper lens to view what you need. For instance,at

200ft, if the scene is 20 feet across you'll need a 50mm lens with a standard 1/3" CCD camera. A 75mm zoom lens would show about 13ft across at 200 feet.

As for recording, a motion-based DVR set-up on a unit with multiplexing capabilities would simplify searching and archiving greatly.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Your camcorders might hold up that long under continuous use, if they don't have an auto shutdown feature.

All kinds of lenses are availble for CCTV cameras though. I typically buy

2.8 to 12 mm lenses and then jsut adjest them for the application. I also keep a few 5.5-33 mm lenses on hand and of course there are others in oth fixed and varifocal. If you do a search on-line there are a couple lens calculators available where you can plug in the distnace and field of view and it will tell you which fixed focal length lends will suit your needs. Then you don't even need to go the expense of a varifocal lens. Just order the one you need at the same time you order your cameras.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.