Suggestion for box where alarm monitoring failovers from landline to cell phone - when landline is cut.

All, I have a standard slomins alarm system, wired that connects to the CS via POTS. I'd like to add one a cell phone connection that in the even the land line is cut, would allow the alarm to dial the service. Any suggestions on a box to use?

TIA John

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

You're pretty much stuck with whatever Slomins offers you. You can't just buy your own equipment and hook it up to their CS.

Reply to
G. Morgan

There are many items like this one available. Probably a lot more coming due to AMPS network issues.

GSM Universal Communicator GS3050A

. 4 inputs for the activation of voice and SMS dialer (optional NC2/VOX voice board required for voice dialer) . 2 SMS messages available on each input . Programmable voice/SMS dialer-channel activation . 8 telephone numbers available for the voice/SMS dialer function . 5 outputs (open collector) . Output control via SMS . Dual-band (900 MHz and 1800 MHz GSM networks) . SIM card programmable via any GSM cellphone or application-specific software (WindowsT compatible) . Power input: 12 Volt DC An effective backup or alternative to traditional

telephone lines, the GSM universal wireless alarm

communicator (model GS3050-A) works by connecting

the alarm control panel to the GSM network to

provide protection against accidental line cuts caused

by storms, construction or deliberate tampering. In the

event of an alarm, the communicator assesses its

connections to the phone line, and if that has failed,

it then connects to the GSM network to send an alarm

signal to the central monitoring station.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Actually, the gentleman can do exactly that. There are add-on cellular backup units available online which simply repeat the telephone number the panel sends over the cellular link, then hand off the "line" to the alarm dialer to transmit the data. The operation is transparent to Slomins' central station (or any other CS for that matter).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

units available online which simply repeat the

"line" to the alarm dialer to transmit the data. The

Uh, huh.. Why don't you tell the gentleman the rest of the story, like how he voided his contract and any liability the alarmco has by interrupting the line between the panel and RJ-31x.

Reply to
G. Morgan

No, stupid. He doesn't "void his contract" by providing an alternate telephone path. The contract remains inb full force and effect.

The alarm company's contract limits their liability to about $250, give or take a McDonald's Happy Meal, no matter what goes wrong anyway. Besides, if you knew how these things work you'd realize that the device doesn't *interrupt* the line between the panel and the RJ31X. The cellular backup unit takes over the connection only when and if the phone line is out of service.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

telephone path. The contract remains inb full force and

Perhaps you should mention the small portion of the contract about tampering with the system, any fool who would add the device you suggest will indeed void the contract

You seem to have this thing for screwing with phone lines, first it's 3 or 4 relays on a Napco panel and now this... no wonder you got out of the installation side

take a McDonald's Happy Meal, no matter what goes wrong

That statement is so untrue and pathetic it's laughable, it's also a good thing you sold your "small central station".

doesn't *interrupt* the line between the panel and

and if the phone line is out of service.

And perhaps if you knew how things work you too would know, you are suggesting the customer place an unapproved (by Slomin's) device on the most critical part of the security system. Slomin's has no way of knowing if this device is installed correctly or even functions. It is just a flippant remark on your side, just another day on the web but someone might just get killed on his end...of course that won't matter to you

I'm sure given the opportunity you will also tell this person to be sure to take it off and not mention it to the Slomin's tech when something goes wrong

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You are dead wrong. The contract isn't "voided" by adding anything. Next time think before you type. You'll seem less of a fool.

Now you're going to pretend that it isn't common practice in the alarm industry to add cellular backup?

Of course, if you actually read Slomans' contract you'd.... Nah, scratch that. You're so disingenuous you'd deny it anyway.

Slomans is not an AHJ. The phone line is his. If he wants to provide his own cellular backup that's his choice. Slomans would prefer to sell him the device (at a much higher markup, of course) but the end result is the same.

You and your pals male your living off installed, monitored systems. I cater to DIYers who want to take care of their own security. As such, we have always been at odds.

That's easy to determine. Call Slomans to say he's running a test. Unplug the RJ31X. Trip the alarm. Wait 5 minutes. Call Slomans to verify they got the signal. It's exactly what the installer would do if he chose to have them install it for him. The only difference is he'll pay an alarm company three times as much if he follows your advice. Oh, wait. Could it be that you think that's a good thing?

Oh, yeah. Those cellular backup units are *really* dangerous. what with that

12 Volt DC connection he could burn his house down jusy thinking about it.

Actually, that hadn't occurred to me. But now that you mention it... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

path. The contract remains inb full force and

a McDonald's Happy Meal, no matter what goes wrong

device doesn't *interrupt* the line between the panel and

the phone line is out of service.

You go from just obnoxious, to downright dangerous when you make these kinds of posts. You are talking about having an inexperienced end-user interrupt the primary communication between his panel and the outside world. Yes, it does void his contract with the CS, and yes it does involve more than just a "Happy Meal's" worth of liability.

To the OP (John):

Robert Bass is a convicted felon. He can NOT obtain an alarm licence and can not legally install anything security related. He makes his pathetic living deceiving unsuspecting folks like yourself. I have nothing to gain financially by giving you my professional opinion. Mr. Bass is trying to sell parts. Check out his company's BBB record and decide for yourself if he is someone you 'ld want to deal with.

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

That's great Doug. Of course it involves wiring the TG-4 between the panel and the RJ, besides, how's he gonna get a Telguard acct?

Reply to
G. Morgan

You're more consistent. You remain obnoxious. I guess with all of your crippling fears, even I must seem dangerous.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

crippling fears, even I must seem dangerous.

I'd say the most dangerous thing about you is your propensity to brandish firearms whenever you can't win an argument.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Considering I haven't owned or even touched a firearm in nearly 30 years, I guess you're safe. Besides, you haven't the wherewithall to win an argument.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

time think before you type. You'll seem less of a fool.

Apparently you've never read many contracts

industry to add cellular backup?

Not by the customer, if you suggested calling Slomins' out to do it then that would be another story, its that liability thing you keep denying

that. You're so disingenuous you'd deny it anyway.

Sure Robert, tell us how many Slomins' contracts you've read, you can't even spell the company name correctly

own cellular backup that's his choice. Slomans would

end result is the same.

Not while he is under their monitoring contract, if he fools with anything connected to the security system he is responsible should anything go wrong

cater to DIYers who want to take care of their own security.

No we are at odds because you just gave someone very poor advice, if he really was a DIYer who installed his own system it would be another story but it's someone under an existing monitoring contract .

that 12 Volt DC connection he could burn his house down

Or it might not communicate and a fire burns down the house

That would be just about your style

Reply to
Mark Leuck

"Considering I haven't owned or even touched a firearm in nearly 30 years, I guess you're safe".

Mr. BAss, is that because? A) You don't know how to use a firearm. B) You killed someone C) You're a convicted felon D) All of the above

The right answer would be "D" in your case Mr. BAss.

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Reply to
Roland Moore

Just one suggestion. You are contracted to Slomins. Give them a call. They will be happy to provide a solution.

Reply to
Frank Olson

first it's 3 or 4 relays on a Napco panel and now this... no wonder you got out of the installation side

Robert replies:

industry to add cellular backup?

And you have this rather nasty habit of editing posts from individuals to make a "point" that has nothing to do with the post you're responding to.

The OP is under contract to Slomins (and apparently not at all unhappy about it). I don't happen to have a copy of their contract handy and I'm sure you don't either. What you propose would certainly void the majority of contracts I've seen. Your own former monitoring contract is so filled with "loopholes" it can't really be called a "contract". You assume responsibility for *nothing* and that's no wonder. You have no insurance, no license, and no bonding.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Luckily for bAss, he has no conscience.

You're new here so maybe some light reading will catch you up;

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.