Cisco ubr924, how to disable IOS updates from Adelphia

Hi,

I do have one of those ubr924, and it has been connected with Adelphia for almost 3 years, and it was working *uninterrupted* for more than

7-8 months.

Suddently, one day my service failed...and I could not connected anymore to internet..after a went throught the engineers at customer support (some of them are clueless), and they couldnt find the problem, I spend couple long days getting into the problem/solution.

The problem was Adelphia had sent me an *updated* bios, that really was not an update, it was an *outdated* bios. The version I had installed was working with not problems for the last 3 years, and they decided to send this outdated version.... Immediatelly I called them and scaled the problem. They appreciated my troubleshooting efforts, and immediatelly say that I had all the reason, and they believe that what I had indicated was the problem, that they will talk with the enginnering group. Later they contact me and told me the engineer group had desided that the version they were sending was the best for most of their customer mmm ..I asked myself: who come a very old version could perform better that a new one, knowing that Cisco have published that such version have bugs?

Well, I has been trying to see how I can disable my router from Adelphia IOS updates, because Adelphia is sending me every day an update (some days even twice) and after that my internet connection start with problems during the first few minutes, and after that is totally screw up, and I loss connection for good, until I again update the IOS version with my version.

BTW, the IOS version that I am using and works properly is ubr920-k8o3v6y5-mz.122-16.bin, and Adelphia is sending me the version ubr920-k9v6y5-mz.122-5.bin

I already tried some commands, but they are not enabled on this IOS. I tried changing the name of the IOS (my version) with the name of the Adelphia version, and It did not work either.

In advance, many thanks for any suggestions or tips you can give me.

Regards,

Turcol

PS: Could you please reply to: t u r c o l nospam @ y a h o o . c o m ... . Just remove the word spam ..Thanks

Reply to
turcol
Loading thread data ...

It's their network. They get to pick.

If you want to pick, you have to isolate your ubr924 from their network by putting it on the other side of a router.

Reply to
Warren

The update is done when Adelphia send a signal to the reboot the UBR924 and add the following line to the config file, under the interface cable-modem0: cable-modem boot file ubr920-k9v6y5-mz.122-5.bin 68.168.0.19 where 68.168.0.19 is the ip address of Adelphia tftp.

I coudl try to block the port 69 (tftp) however I doubt that works, because the router (UBR924) execute the config file before to go to the filter level, where I can tru to stop any tftp traffic

Reply to
turcol

Not familiar with the UBR924, but - if you can determine the IP port Adelphia is using to send the update, then could you block that port in IOS?

Reply to
Tim R.

This is all done through DOCSIS and it's unlikely that you will be able to prevent it from happening. It's been a while since I used mine, gave up on it really after moving. It was working fine with Time Warner on the east coast but never worked right with Comcast in mid-west. I had to upgrade to a certain IOS before TWC worked because they were trying to set a bunch of crap via SNMP that the previous IOS knew nothing about. I suspect that it didn't work when I switched to Comcast due to similar issues but didn't have time to mess with it. One of the techs thought it was possibly due to them going from QAM 64 line coding to QAM 256 (more bandwidth) recently, but I checked and the UBR924 does in fact support QAM 256 so that wasn't it.

These are great, they work well, have a couple of H.323 phone ports if you want to mess with getting those working, do real routing and tricks that are not possible with "consumer friendly" routers. The drawback is that they're usually never "officially supported" by any cable providers these days and even if you get it working your luck will probably eventually run out. Even though DOCSIS is a standard, there seem to be enough variables in the management side, that your modem/router may not work right depending on how much they try to "mangage" (or, is that mangle?) it.

My advice, if you want to stick with Cisco for the power (and quirks) of IOS, is to go find a nice cheap dual ethernet Cisco 8xx,

16xx, or maybe even an old 2514 (if you like to hear fan noise) and stick that behind a Motorola SB5100 or similar.
Reply to
B.M. Wright

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.