CAT 5

I remember about a million years ago... or maybe it was last week. I read about the Cat 5 standard and how it was done to allow for the future speration and operation of voice and data over the same cable.

A couple weeks ago, or maybe a few years ago I remember discussing this with somebody and wondering why all the current applications and standards seem to ignore that and have us running seperate cat 5 cables for voice and data. Then I found this on Napco's website under structured wiring:

Securi-Smart NET8 Securi-Smart NET8, the only wiring system on the Market that provides for 2 Telephone Lines and a 10/100 Base Ethernet connections over a single CAT5e wire.

LOL. How interesting. I need to keep up with the product innovations of my own main alarm provider.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

As far as I know, this is nothing new. Only when necessary but when I've had to, I've run both telephone and data on one Cat 5. Also have run two data lines on one Cat 5. It's only been in residential, so maybe it's just the short runs that have allowed it to be trouble free.

Reply to
Jim

It's not that flocking complicated....

Ethernet uses 4 conductors, a phone line uses two conductors.

add it up...

Ethernet 4 phonel1 2 phonel2 2

equals 8

Wow! what a flocking breakthrough Napco made!

I want to sell you a London bridge in Arizona.. ohhh, nevermind-- I see you're on the dealer list! hahahah

Reply to
West Alarm

At less than 10 cent per foot per cable, I usually run 2 Cat 5e (solid) cables to each data/phone location. Same with Coax- 2 RG6 Quads- 1 white & 1 black. Allows flexibility later on. Many of the "pros" are now using Cat 6 and/or fiber for data.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Its possible, but not preferred practice

Reply to
Steve

I was just laughing about it. The original standards was to allow that use, and then all the new standards seem to ignore it, and then Napco re-invents the wheel.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Actually it's NOT RECOMMENDED. Phone lines are relatively speaking high voltage compared to Ethernet. Even if you don't get continous interference issues, there is a good chance you'll see transients coming in over the phone line that may interfere or even physically harm the Ethernet connected equipment.

Gigabit Ethernet uses all four pairs in the cable, so upgrading the network is out of the question.

Also, if you ever crosswire the phone line into a network card you have a good chance of creating smoke.

This is like swapping colors in an electric install. Sure the green wire works just as well as the black for "hot", but the guy that comes after you may get a surprise...

Reply to
Anders

What is all the hub-bub about the quad shield coax?

Reply to
West Alarm

if you're in the big city it helps to keep out interference

Reply to
Barney

Is it anything like wearing an extra condom?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.