Buy Locally

Since most of us here are small or medium size contractors that basically does business with our neighbors we would basically like people to, "buy locally." As some of you may know I recently erected a metal building. While it was finishing up I had not one, not two, but three different overhead door contractors cotact me about providing doors. Not a single one of them has actually provided even generla pricing much less an actual quote. I guess I go on-line quote the doors and install them myself.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

A METAL building?

Like ........... how hot does THAT get out where you are? Can you lean against the walls in the summer? Fry eggs on the roof?

Reply to
Jim

A METAL building?

** Yup.

Like ........... how hot does THAT get out where you are?

** Not as hot as you might think. Certainly nowhere near as hot as the attic of an ancient tar paper roof house does. Now THAT'S hot.

Can you lean against the walls in the summer?

** I suppose you could if you wanted to. If I wnat to rest I prefer to go inside the airconditioned office and put my feet up on my desk.

Fry eggs on the roof?

** My wife keeps bugging me about solar power. Maybe I'll let her try it. LOL.

Seriously, a metal building is relatively inexpensive and goes up quick. (Not as quick as the contractor tells you, but hey what did I exepct from a contractor anyway. LOL) They really are no hotter than any other building. This one was assembled with 4" of fibergalss sandwiched under the skin and the roof is polar white in color which reflects an amazing amount of heat. Frame in some office space and you are good to go.

Want to know what all the produce coolers that run down here are made of? You guessed it. Sheet metal over steel frame. We are talking upto 100,000 sqf of space refrigerated down to the mid 30s. Guess who grows a lion's share of the produce the rest of you guys eat all winter. They might have just a tad bit more insulation than I do, but...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I know they're sturdy and economical, they build them here in the Northeast too. Two/three story religious meeting hall comes to mind. Tennis courts and health spas. And, of course the old Quanset (sp?) hut style's been around for decades, used mostly for storage. I hear them advertising on the radio alot too. I figure in your area, being dry, they'd last just as long or longer than a frame building. But here in the Northeast, I figure the dampness and extremes in temp might do it's damage quicker. Any accumulation of water at any given spot, has got to penetrate sooner or later.

I'm waiting for the first .... all vinyl house to be built :-)

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.