Another prewire ? - Keypad Mounting

Do keypads usually mount to single or double gang boxes? Or do they just typically get screwed directly to the wall?

Reply to
aaron15396
Loading thread data ...

rings or nothing.

I find that it's much mo' betta to be able to mount the keypad to drywall without a ring that way I can line up the keypad with the lightswitch below...more visually appealing...because if you put a ring up the keypad is out of kilter with the light switch below...jmo. Also, I like to match the height of keypad to the client so they can actually read the lcd.

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I usually use mudrings on keypads during open construction. That is a single gang open face plate that allow full access behind the wall.

But I think because of all the new building codes, some states now require you to use a plastic single gang box. The wire entering the box also has to be fire blocked with spray foam.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

PS. That would also include all the wiring entering the alarm panel, which would require a plastic box and fire stopped. I would hate to be the one to replace any bad wiring, or try to do an addon...ouch!

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Depends on the keypad. Double gang boxes are a bit wide for the ones we use. Occasionally we will use a 12 conductor to get to remote areas and at those times we will use a single gang behind the keypad for a splice box. Important to get the box centered on the light switch box(es) below it. Otherwise we just lace it so we can pull it out right where we want it during trim out.

P.S. You want to make sure that your keypad is centered > Do keypads usually mount to single or double gang boxes? Or do they

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.