Alarm Panel Battery Testers

Hi I am looking for a new Battery tester for Alarm Panel Batteries as well as for Emergency Light batteries. I havr read alot about the ELK model. What are the others out there? I found one made by Triplett Chek-A-Cell they are only 69.00 I am guessing the Triplett one is not so great? Anybody ever use the Triplett one? ThAnKs!

Reply to
T.J.
Loading thread data ...

Never saw the need for one. We keep records of when batteries are replaced for all our systems and we know that batteries last 3-5 years (mostly 3 these days) so when the panel sends it's first low battery...duh...it needs to be replaced pretty darn quick.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You can save yourself some money by buying a 10 ohm 50 watt wire wound resistor. Solder a couple of clip leads to it.

Remove the panel battery leads from the battery to be tested. Attach your volt meter to the battery terminals and take note of the reading. it should be 12 volts or higher. With the meter still attached to the terminals, attach the clip leads from the 10 ohm resistor. Watch the reading of the voltmeter. If the battery voltage goes below 12 volts prior to two or three minutes with this hook up, change the battery. If not, your good for now.

Watch out ..... the resistor is HOT.

Reply to
Jim

Canadian Tire sells a VOM with integral battery tester (it does up to 12 volts). It's intended towards the automotive market, but I found the unit to be well worth the $20.00 (CDN).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

How does it save you trips?...trips to where?

| >

| >

| > Canadian Tire sells a VOM with integral battery tester (it does up to 12 | > volts). It's intended towards the automotive market, but I found the unit | > to be well worth the $20.00 (CDN). | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Some people use the changing of a battery as a reason to touch base with their clients.

I send out my newsletters regularly and follow up on false alarms via telephone, which seems to do that very thing. I usually drop ship batteries ..... many times at no charge, just to avoid the waste of time and having to charge an exorbitant amount of money for a service call just to change a $16.00 battery.

Reply to
Jim

formatting link
been using an earlier version of this since before Bass quit installing. ;)

Reply to
newb

Seven years now and I don't miss it. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I used to send out postcards...seemed to work ok. I ups batteries too!...but I charge a little more than that.

| Some people use the changing of a battery as a reason to touch base | with their clients. | | I send out my newsletters regularly and follow up on false alarms via | telephone, which seems to do that very thing. I usually drop ship | batteries ..... many times at no charge, just to avoid the waste of | time and having to charge an exorbitant amount of money for a service | call just to change a $16.00 battery. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

We do the same thing Jim, works for us.. RTS

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel

The tester helps find those so so batterys that one day seem ok and next day there calling you back. for another trouble condition.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Nor are you missed. js

Reply to
Carl Carlson

If it makes you feel better believing that, be my guest.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You shouldn't be inviting any guests over.

The death of the host almost always ends the party.

Mmmmm but ...... probably not .....in your case.

Reply to
Jim

Too late. We had over 80 friends over for my birthday party (which had been delayed). A few weeks ago we had a smaller get together

-- only about 65 people. Our next event is in September. We'll have about 120 people for that one. Why don'y you come join us? You can save all your paychecks between now and then and splurge on a bus ticket.

Happy to disappoint you on that one. Odds are I'll be here at least 20 years after you're gone, based on your advanced age and all the nasty chemicals you generate in your system with all that anger. It's a shame, really. Like another vicious individual who spent all his time spewing rage, you'll probably stroke out, right in the middle of one of your tantrums.

Unlike you, I don't wish death or illness on anyone, not even you. Then again, I didn't wish ill for Mike Sabodish either. He died from his own rage. In all probability so will you. Do you notice anyone saying they miss him? The funny thing is any time I don't post for a few days several people post that they miss my input. Yet when you go away no one seems to notice or, if they do notice, they don't seem to care.

You rant and rave for years, railing not only against me but even against others whose only failing is their refusal to post the same sort of abuse. All you've managed to do is make yourself look like a ranting, old fool. That's unfortunate because deep down, under all that insane hatred, there's probably... Hmm. Naah. :^)

Have a nice day.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

ADI website says they no longer drop ship batteries. Do you do it yourself?

Reply to
newb

Speaking of Battery testers, I saw this in a magazine today. Thought it might be worth a look

formatting link

Reply to
Michael

They do it for me.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

They want about $365 for that thing?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.